Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
kenny mann
02 Jan 17 23:26
| Topic/replies: 36,805 | Blogger: kenny mann's blog
Does anyone remember Pearl Carr and Teddy Johnson?
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View A question for the real oldies 65 plus
Show More
Report Mrdozey1 January 2, 2017 11:32 PM GMT
I remember them well Kenny. Eurovision entry back in the day for UK.
Report Foinavon January 2, 2017 11:33 PM GMT
Holy cr@p Batman. Shocked
Report kenny mann January 2, 2017 11:38 PM GMT
I found some old sheet music of theirs when having a clear out. Showed t'old lass next door (she's 90) and she said this is marvellous, can you get them on that contraption of yours? (my iphone)So I got loads of stuff up and she absolutely loved it. She said are they still alive. I said you're joking, they must have been in their 50s when I was a kid in the 50s.

I was wrong. Both still living! Surprised
Report crystalhunt January 2, 2017 11:41 PM GMT
Both still alive according to Wiki - 95 and 97 yrs living in a home for retired showbiz
Report kenny mann January 2, 2017 11:45 PM GMT
Pearl Carr, now 95, and Teddy Johnson, now 97, both live in Brinsworth House, a home for retired entertainers.

Richard O'Sullivan is also there.
Report David Fishwick Minibus Sales January 2, 2017 11:48 PM GMT
our grandparents were called Pearl and Dean or, as we called them, Gran and Grandpa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa

© Milton Jones

Grin
Report kenny mann January 2, 2017 11:50 PM GMT
lol
Report mobo January 2, 2017 11:55 PM GMT
yes

and Russ Conway a big fave in our family

and later the great Frank Ifield
Report kenny mann January 3, 2017 12:00 AM GMT
We didn't get a telly until 1961, so most of my early memories are from the radio.

Clitheroe Kid
Journey Into Space
Have A Go
Ray's A Laugh
Top Of The Form
Paul Temple

Great stuff
Report ebulGery January 3, 2017 12:31 AM GMT
Ditto Kenny

Journey into Space....that was incredible.

The trouble with Pearl Carr and Teddy Johnson was they preceded Rock and Roll, which I was into like most teenagers at the time
Report kenny mann January 3, 2017 12:34 AM GMT
Gery, Nearly all JIS episodes are on youtube. Listened to a few of the about a year ago. Somehow didn't seem quite as thrilling as I remember them. Laugh
Report ebulGery January 3, 2017 12:37 AM GMT
I agree kenny...the far flung future of 1972..Laugh

We have still to reach Mars in 2016Sad, a human landing
Report ebulGery January 3, 2017 12:40 AM GMT
2017Blush
Report kenny mann January 3, 2017 12:42 AM GMT
1972? That's when they were set in then! Didn't know that.
Report bodil January 3, 2017 12:43 AM GMT
In a subsequent Eurovision shoot-out Johnson's brother beat them with 'Looking ,high, high, high.'  Christ - I'd hoped I'd forgotten that - Vel will remember - it's sort of Andy Stewart kitsch. Now it's hollowing out my brain ...  Also finished 2nd.
Report kenny mann January 3, 2017 12:45 AM GMT
wonering why why why etc. I remember thta, bodil.
Report kenny mann January 3, 2017 12:45 AM GMT
Journey Into Space is a BBC Radio science fiction programme written by BBC producer Charles Chilton. It was the last UK radio programme to attract a bigger evening audience than television.[1] Originally, four series were produced (the fourth was a remake of the first), which was translated into 17 languages[2] (including Hindustani, Turkish and Dutch[3]) and broadcast in countries worldwide (including the United States, New Zealand, Australia and the Netherlands).[3] Chilton later wrote three best-selling novels and several comic strip stories based upon the radio series.

The first series was created in 1953, soon after Riders of the Range (a popular Western, also written by Chilton) ended its six seasons on the BBC Light Programme. Michael Standing, then Head of the BBC Variety Department, asked Chilton if he could write a sci-fi programme, and Journey to the Moon (later known as Operation Luna) was the result.[1] Each half-hour episode would usually end with a dramatic cliffhanger, to increase the audience's incentive to tune into the next episode.

The original magnetic recordings of the show were erased shortly after broadcast, and for several decades it was believed that no recordings of the show had survived. In 1986, a set of misfiled Transcription Service discs (produced for sale to overseas radio stations) was discovered, containing complete copies of the three original series (more accurately, the surviving version of the first season is a cut-down remake of the original, produced for the Transcription Service during the 1950s). This discovery enabled the BBC to begin re-broadcasting the show in the late 1980s, and release copies of the show, first on audio cassette, and more recently on CD and internet download.

Fans of Journey Into Space include Colin Pillinger,[4] Kenny Everett,[5] John Major,[5] Stephen Hawking,[5] Miriam Margolyes[5] and former Doctor Who producer Philip Hinchcliffe.[6]
Report bodil January 3, 2017 12:47 AM GMT
Jet! Mitch! Doc! Lemmy!
Report kenny mann January 3, 2017 12:47 AM GMT
Jet, Doc and Lemmy discover the same house, and find Mitch inside it. But Mitch is now 'conditioned' to believe he's in Australia, and doesn't recognise the others. He refuses to rejoin them, and attacks Jet.

Scared
Report kenny mann January 3, 2017 12:48 AM GMT
Can't wait for next week.
Report bodil January 3, 2017 12:53 AM GMT
Used to listen to it in the dark - and then we'd sing the Ovalteenies song - with the Ovalteenies, who probably were molested or grew up to be molesters. Cancel that last bit - some of them probably survived show business.
Report kenny mann January 3, 2017 1:00 AM GMT
I couldn't have a tranny on in the dark. Mum would hear it, even when it was barely audible to me.But I do recall sneaking in a few top 20 charts on Radio Luxembourg and a Howard Winstone boxing match when she was asleep.
Report bodil January 3, 2017 1:05 AM GMT
Radio Luxembourg in the dark ... the only station that played new music. All the knob twiddling to get rid of the whistling and shrieking - that's the old Bakelite valve radio, you pervs.
Report kenny mann January 3, 2017 1:09 AM GMT
lol, and well done for not pulling me up on tranny, as some younger ones would.
Report bodil January 3, 2017 1:16 AM GMT
No chance of that, we're all LBGTQ-certified on here now kenny.
Report kenny mann January 3, 2017 1:17 AM GMT
ha ha, time to hit the hay. Happy
Report bodil January 3, 2017 1:19 AM GMT
Don't die in your sleep, Kenny!
Report Velasquez January 3, 2017 1:24 AM GMT
Before my time, as were Nina and Frederik...someone should make a film about those two.
Report bodil January 3, 2017 1:37 AM GMT
Although they were divorced in 1976, Nina flew out to the Philippines to bring Frederick’s body back to Europe after he became the victim of a ‘mysterious professional killing’, along with his girlfriend Susannah, in 1994.

Good start.  Sorry end.
Report Velasquez January 3, 2017 1:41 AM GMT
dRUGGAGE Sad
Report Velasquez January 3, 2017 1:43 AM GMT
fred would of durn well in da bristol drug dens like a foil to portishead n tricky n sh1tt
Report bodil January 3, 2017 1:44 AM GMT
Look on down from the bridge.
Report zorrostrikes January 3, 2017 2:37 AM GMT
googled them... glad i don't remember them.
Report Velasquez January 3, 2017 2:38 AM GMT
get tae bed Zorrow! Angry
Report Velasquez January 3, 2017 2:39 AM GMT
I used tae know a guy called WEE HARRY who sang their songs...Plain
Report leazes67 January 3, 2017 9:41 AM GMT
Fife Robertson,another name that just popped into my head for no reason whatsoever.
Report GoOnThen January 3, 2017 9:50 AM GMT
Jimmy Clitheroe was class. "Our Alfie".
Report mini me January 3, 2017 10:10 AM GMT
FFS - it'll be The Billy Cotton Bandshow next!

WAKEY WAKEY!
Report salmon spray January 3, 2017 10:16 AM GMT
They were our entry in the first Eurovision Contest I remember. Amazed they are still alive tbh. Did Pearl Carr have a sister who was also a singer ?
Report Aunty Post January 3, 2017 10:19 AM GMT
PC & TJ.....arguably two of the best ice skaters of all time.....
Report kenny mann January 3, 2017 12:23 PM GMT
Speakin of oldies, I haven't seen naydam for a few months. Any ideas anyone?
Report kincsem January 3, 2017 1:05 PM GMT
bodil
Radio Luxembourg in the dark ... the only station that played new music. All the knob twiddling to get rid of the whistling and shrieking - that's the old Bakelite valve radio, you pervs.

My sister got a transistor radio for her birthday.  The thing was as big as a shoebox.  It took three or four big batteries.
One day the mother found brown marks on the bedspread in my sister's room.
The little Yorkshire terrier got blamed, and probably got a few kicks.
Then we found that the batteries in the transistor had aged and leaked sticky brown fluid. Laugh
Report Foinavon January 3, 2017 3:49 PM GMT
I couldn't have a tranny on in the dark.

Hi Kenny,
I'm still recovering from the thought of Pearl Carr and Teddy Johnson. Surprised that "Mrs Dale's Diary" didn't get a mention (and the tragic tale of Ellis Powell)
My parents had a very good friend who was a lovely man, a Scotsman called Alec. He had an old valve radio that had stopped working and I volunteered to mend it for him, suspecting that it just needed a replacement valve. I repaired it for him and gave it back and to my surprise and delight, he said that I could keep it. I was about 11 at the time and I listened to that radio in the dark every night for years. I can still remember the faint light and slight warm bakelite odour it emitted as it sat on my bedside table.
Report bigmo January 3, 2017 4:36 PM GMT
Great story Foinavon
Report Burton-Brewers January 3, 2017 8:39 PM GMT
I remember them.

How about Miki and Griff - A little bitty tear let down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QmU7f7u2p0
Report kenny mann January 23, 2017 2:15 PM GMT
Hi Kenny,
I'm still recovering from the thought of Pearl Carr and Teddy Johnson. Surprised that "Mrs Dale's Diary" didn't get a mention (and the tragic tale of Ellis Powell)
My parents had a very good friend who was a lovely man, a Scotsman called Alec. He had an old valve radio that had stopped working and I volunteered to mend it for him, suspecting that it just needed a replacement valve. I repaired it for him and gave it back and to my surprise and delight, he said that I could keep it. I was about 11 at the time and I listened to that radio in the dark every night for years. I can still remember the faint light and slight warm bakelite odour it emitted as it sat on my bedside table.

Great story indeed

I remember that easily B-B

Sorry you got banned.
Report kenny mann January 23, 2017 2:16 PM GMT
Although I think I remember the Burl Ives version, which was earlier.
Report TELL DEL January 23, 2017 3:31 PM GMT
^ That's right kenny, my parents had a record player and remember a few Burl Ives records they had, A Little Bitty Tear,  It's Just My Funny Way Of Laughin', Ugly Bug Ball. They use to play those a lot, and other ones I liked which I still remember, Little White Bull - Tommy Steele. Seven Little Girls Sitting In The Back Seat, My Old Mans A Dustman. And lot of records by Alma Cogan, and lot of jazz music.
Report kenny mann January 23, 2017 4:03 PM GMT
I remember all those Tel.

Loved Burl Ives songs. Used to write to Uncle Mac on Children's Favourites asking for one to be played, along with The Runaway Train and Sparky and his magic piano.
Report Lee Ho Fooks January 23, 2017 4:43 PM GMT
What about Shirley Abicair (Love when I was 5) Little boy fishing
Report kenny mann January 23, 2017 4:49 PM GMT
Bloody hell, I couldn't place that. But now I can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4eTRU9YfJM
Report mememe January 23, 2017 4:52 PM GMT
I think they made a sex tape in 1958.

It was all over the net at the time.
Report kenny mann January 23, 2017 4:53 PM GMT
ha ha ha Plain
Report leazes67 January 23, 2017 8:52 PM GMT
Cy Grant..used to sing at the end of the show with Cliff Mitchelmore.Can't remember the shows name.
Report leazes67 January 23, 2017 8:54 PM GMT
Just googled him..
Cyril Ewart Lionel Grant (8 November 1919 – 13 February 2010)[2] was a Guyanese actor, musician, writer and poet. In the 1950s, he became the first black person to be featured regularly on television in the United Kingdom,[3][4][5] mostly due to his appearances on the BBC current affairs show Tonight.

Following service in the Royal Air Force during the Second World War, Grant worked as an actor and singer, before establishing the Drum Arts Centre in London in the 1970s.[6] In the 1980s, he was appointed director of Concord Multicultural Festivals.[7] A published poet and author of several books, including his 2007 memoir Blackness and the Dreaming Soul and other writing that reflected his belief in Taoism and an expansive world view,[8] Grant was made an Honorary Fellow of Roehampton University in 1997, and a member of the Scientific and Medical Network in 2001. In 2008, he was the founder and inspirator of an online archive to trace and commemorate Caribbean airmen of the Second World War.[9]

A father of four children, Grant lived with his wife, Dorith, in Highgate, London.
Report kenny mann January 23, 2017 9:07 PM GMT
I temember the Tonight programme very well. I was 10 when this was broadcast. It has Cy Grant singing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ21FPr9S2U
Report kenny mann June 11, 2018 11:53 PM BST
Teddy Johnson RIP aged 98.
Report Lee Ho Fooks June 12, 2018 11:20 AM BST
Also just noticed Danny Kirwan yesterday too

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmuRc1Ypw9w
Report Dr Crippen June 12, 2018 11:39 AM BST
What about - Workers Playtime.

Brought to you today from the Morris car factory canteen in Cowley.

Unfortunately there's no audience. All the workers are out on strike over their demands for longer tea breaks.
Report dunlaying June 12, 2018 2:24 PM BST
They were regulars on the box when I was a kid as were Joyce and Lionel Blair .
Report brassneck June 12, 2018 10:12 PM BST
drink ovaltine its the nicest way to stay healthy
and to sleep serene,drink ovaltime.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now