Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Hank Hill
08 Jul 16 16:17
| Topic/replies: 9,047 | Blogger: Hank Hill's blog
Anyone on here do any? I hadn't done any since school, when tbh I was pretty terrible! I found a youtube channel where a guy does cartoon stuff aimed at kids so it was ideal for me to draw some stuff for my boy. It's only copying off a video, but it feels nice to finish the drawing and for it to look like what he did lol. I think I'd like to get in to drawing more now Happy
Share |
Show More
Report Velasquez May 26, 2017 12:07 PM BST
HAPPY BIRTHDAY FOINAVON! Hope you are South of the Wash!
Report Foinavon May 26, 2017 12:19 PM BST
Thanks Vel, I try not to think about it.
I am south of The Wash but just north of the line from Bristol Laugh
Many people would think I have a Birmingham accent too.Devil
I see the Germans and the French get a mention in Witney Scrotum.
Report Velasquez May 26, 2017 12:28 PM BST
Don't forget the Brown and Robertson Vintage Tawney Port - a most suitable birthday present I should think!
Report Velasquez May 26, 2017 12:33 PM BST
Report Foinavon May 26, 2017 12:34 PM BST
I shall have a glass to celebrate tonight!
Report Velasquez May 27, 2017 12:14 PM BST
Report Foinavon May 27, 2017 1:16 PM BST
Nice stash, Vel. Don't let Tommy see them.Cool
Report Velasquez May 28, 2017 11:10 AM BST
Report Velasquez May 28, 2017 11:21 AM BST
Back in the 50s, inspired by John Wyndham's THE DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS, Bodil started work on his magnum opus, FF WONKY CHEESE. This is the dust cover of a recent update, telling the story of tiny aliens who conquer the Earth through the corruption of a particular brand of delicious cheese that is often eaten with PORT WINE.

These aliens - from star system FRUNJELL XIII - take over the bodies of cheese mites then infiltrate humans through their digestive systems. Hector "Donny" Donker, a postman, is the hero of the story, and the first person to suspect cheese control  by an entity from outside our solar system.
Report The Leopard May 28, 2017 11:28 AM BST
Sounds plausible.
Report Velasquez May 28, 2017 12:09 PM BST
Clearly a variation on the old TROJAN HORSE routine...Excited
Report Velasquez May 29, 2017 11:45 AM BST
Report Velasquez May 29, 2017 11:49 AM BST
Dust cover of the sequel, in which the tiny aliens gravitate from cheese strongholds to toy rabbits. Like THE GODFATHER II, many critics believed it to be superior to the original.
Report Velasquez May 29, 2017 8:37 PM BST
Report Velasquez May 29, 2017 8:41 PM BST
ILLUSTRATION ON PAGE 51...HECTOR "DONNY" DONKER FINDS A WONKY WABBIT NEAR AN ALIEN SPACESHIP. A FACIMILE OF DONKER'S MUCH COVETED SAFETY SUIT CAN BE OBTAINED ON EBAY.
Report Foinavon May 31, 2017 12:07 PM BST
I like the cartoons, Vel. I knew someone who draws alien and spaceship scenarios to order for video games. His customer is in the USA and apparently pays him $50 per page, which doesn't seem much given the skill and effort involved. It's just a side-line for him as he has a day job.
Report Velasquez May 31, 2017 3:09 PM BST
FFS FOINAVON - U R NOT THINKING BIG ENOUGH! Angry
Report Velasquez May 31, 2017 3:14 PM BST
CONSIDER THE TALE OF -- ADRIAN GHENIE -- A 39 YEAR OLD RUMANIAN PAINTER WHO, IN THE LAST FEW YEARS, HAS WENT FROM NOT SELLING ANYTHING TO SELLING A PAINTING FOR $9 MILLION AT SOTHEBY'S! Crazy

CHECK HIM OUT ON YOUTUBE....HE DID A SERIES OF PAINTINGS ABOUT SOCIAL DARWINISM...
Report Velasquez May 31, 2017 4:04 PM BST
Report Foinavon June 1, 2017 4:57 PM BST
I say Charles, look at this little beauty!
Acquired it from Sotheby's, a snip at 9 million dollars.

Amazing innit. Crazy
Report Foinavon June 9, 2017 4:50 PM BST
How would Britain look after five years of Corbyn government?
Two redundant Scottish artists discuss Celtic's chances for the new season over the purchase of a week's meat ration.

Report Foinavon June 9, 2017 5:08 PM BST
Nolf is at home, asleep in his basket, dreaming of a warm bowl of chicken noodle soup.
Report Velasquez June 10, 2017 8:12 PM BST
There is a Scottish artist who draws comedy tramps and gets loads of dosh for them...Laugh

Will have to goole now...
Report Foinavon June 10, 2017 8:43 PM BST
Ah, I might slap a bit of paint on then and put it up for auction Excited

Good result for Scotland tonight, I thought they had it won for a couple of minutes.Cry
Report Velasquez June 10, 2017 8:45 PM BST
Typical Scottish sh1te. Cry
Report Foinavon June 10, 2017 8:46 PM BST
Turn over and watch San Marino, it will make you feel better.
Report Velasquez June 10, 2017 8:49 PM BST
All Armstrong had to do was place the ball down the left wing towards the corner flag - and instead, he passes the ball right...what a tube...this is a guy who is renowned for being brainy...he does OPEN UNI courses in his spare time...makes me fookin' despair...Scotland never learns.
Report Foinavon June 10, 2017 8:53 PM BST
A shame really as they were two cracking free kicks.
Report Velasquez June 10, 2017 8:56 PM BST
Leigh never gets any credit, no matter what he does at Celtic.
Report Velasquez June 10, 2017 8:58 PM BST
It seems Wolves and Leeds are after him - at least the price just shot up dramatically.
Report Velasquez June 16, 2017 9:23 PM BST
Got a drawing of Derek Cheadle, a fruit n veg merchant from Rochdale. Cheadle began to perform publicly, brandishing a crude Nolf puppet. Maitland Pryce ,AKA Showdil, threatened to sue Derek Cheadle but it was all sorted out amicably, out of court like, after Maitland Pryce realized that he could possibly flog a Nolf franchise throughout England and Wales...Maitland Pryce had the good sense to guess that this puppet sh1t would be booed and rejected by the more brutalist, discerning audiences of Scotland, if he tried to sell tickets for more than 50 pence.

Cheadle pays 160 euros per month for his Nolf license, but has yet to turn a profit.
Report Velasquez June 17, 2017 12:17 PM BST
Report Foinavon June 17, 2017 12:53 PM BST
Excellent work by Derek to get such a good likeness. Did he make that hat too?
Derek himself has a certain Je ne sais quoi Frenchness about him. Is he descended from one of Cezanne's card players?
Report Velasquez June 17, 2017 1:00 PM BST
Fook, yeah! I think he IS descended from one of those card players...Laugh

Actually, I collect pics of PROFILES as it is one of my favourite things in art...JEAN JACQUES HENNER, STEPHEN CONROY, BILL JACKLIN, etc. That's me hobby - looking at profiles!
Report Velasquez June 17, 2017 1:04 PM BST
I think what it is...is this : There is a certain play between 2D flatness and 3D form when you draw or paint a face in profile......PSEUD'S CORNER Grin
Report Foinavon June 17, 2017 1:06 PM BST
Good work Vel Cool
Report Velasquez June 17, 2017 1:06 PM BST
The profile also has classical properties because of busts and coins that show the images of rulers, etc...Plain
Report Foinavon June 17, 2017 1:14 PM BST
I had to draw carefully the tramp on the left in my drawing as I needed the profile to be turned away and whispering in the other guy's ear. I've started to paint it so will post it again when finished. (Mods willing).
Report Velasquez June 17, 2017 4:49 PM BST
Excellent - look forward to seeing that.
Report Velasquez June 17, 2017 4:53 PM BST
Zorro - biblical horse names update : ASCEND won the big turf race at Belmont last Saturday...touched 48 on here...Laugh

And today...BE PERFECT (as your father in heaven is perfect)...unplaced at 25/1...Sad
Report Foinavon June 20, 2017 9:12 AM BST
the finished painting looks almost like a biblical scene Devil

Report Foinavon June 20, 2017 9:13 AM BST
Apart from 20th century clothing Blush
Report zorrostrikes June 25, 2017 11:48 PM BST

first tablet drawing. trying to get used to it?
Report zorrostrikes June 27, 2017 5:35 PM BST

batman gets high and starts to stumble - second tablet drawing.
Report zorrostrikes June 28, 2017 8:35 AM BST

supper man... fish supper.
Report zorrostrikes June 28, 2017 8:36 AM BST

spud mackenzie - was arrested last week, hit a granny with his knapsack.
Report zorrostrikes June 28, 2017 8:37 AM BST

Sophia Loren - i dated her in my mind... bitch left me.
Report zorrostrikes June 28, 2017 8:38 AM BST

she was the reason i learned to swim, she pushed me in.
Report zorrostrikes June 28, 2017 8:42 AM BST
done these 4 last night

during an advert break.
Report Velasquez June 28, 2017 9:34 AM BST
Beautiful heightened colours, like 50s movies, Zorro...nice fluid drawing / painting style...they remind me of ERIC FISCHL painting studies.

Love the swimmer particularly.
Report Velasquez June 28, 2017 9:35 AM BST
You 'ave been a busy bee...
Report Velasquez June 28, 2017 9:36 AM BST
Foinavon been busy too...you lads are PROLIFIC and very talented!
Report Foinavon June 28, 2017 5:00 PM BST
Definite improvement as they progress and the swimmer is lovely. Is that a face on Sophia's purple swimsuit? Do you use a stylus on a touchscreen for this?
I know that Hockney has been "painting" on a tablet for sometime. Why? What is wrong with paint and paper (or in Vel's case, household emulsion on corrugated cardboard from a skip)?
Report zorrostrikes June 28, 2017 8:57 PM BST
a got a graphics tablet for £25 on Ebay.
It's very sensitive, jumping about a lot.
I reduced the mouse sensitivity down to zero but still very hard to draw with it.
it was a display model in a shop from 2009? It's brand new but an old model.
Not sure it's a good make? I should have done some research what was best?
genius graphics tablet (soviet?)
i rattled out four in a night, half an hour on each.
if you were to do it on paper it would take a day at least, with a lot
of mess to clear up.
It's doodling with a better pencil.
Report Foinavon June 28, 2017 9:07 PM BST
£25 is a bargain. Worth having a go for that. The results aren't bad with a bit of practice and I like the rich colours and the swirl effect. Must be hard with a mouse though, I seem to remember Hockney using a stylus on an Apple tablet which is OK when you've got his type of money to burn.
Are you doing some more?
Report zorrostrikes June 28, 2017 9:20 PM BST
it's a pen, but it works as a pointing device. you adjust the mouse sensitivity down to the ground floor and the pen gets less sensitive too.

i'll have to keep going with it, try and improve, i'm limiting myself to a broad brush choice as the control is poor. bad model for sure.

i was watching a bamboo model? and others - £15? but this one had a bigger drawing
surface and was still in the box?

i'm getting used to it but it has poor calibration settings. would like to try out other brands before buying again. No time left anyway.
Report Velasquez June 29, 2017 5:54 PM BST
ZORRO......IS IT POSSIBLE TO PRINT THEM ON PAPER?
Report trilby22 June 29, 2017 6:57 PM BST
Some brilliant stuff from you guys here - I'm impressed!

I have a wee question tho ... which one of you is Michael Forbes?  Respect to you sir!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-40365843
Report zorrostrikes June 29, 2017 8:07 PM BST
save it to desktop and send to printer, or take to a library printer?
Report Foinavon June 29, 2017 8:46 PM BST
We can be anyone you want us to be, Trilby. Devil
Report zorrostrikes June 29, 2017 10:14 PM BST
I had a school associate? who went on to draw Batman for the comics, he changed his name to Frank Quietly ? ( never trust a man that changes his name).

He's part of the new wave of comic artists and writers that give superheroes neurosis's and sexual problems. Comics used to be a fun read, it turned into A vs B wrestling matches and weird dismantling of the characters. Batman being portrayed a Gay?
superman a soviet agent. I had to stop reading them - it was depressing.

there's 50 thor splinter groups? same with all the major characters. you no longer follow one character, it's impossible? The only one worth reading is Frank Miller who started all this madness. They emulate his writing and drawing. He's an original. He went on to do movies, dropping the comics to a rare past time. He wrote Robocop, sin city 1.2, the spirit. He tries to translate the comics to film verbatim.

i recently found out Baman is a freemason? Green Lantern has a power ring?(mason)
they've ruined the medium.
Report zorrostrikes July 9, 2017 10:38 PM BST
Favourite Comic book cover

Report zorrostrikes July 9, 2017 10:41 PM BST
look at the nightmare of drawing those buildings - these illustrators
were under deadlines. getting scale pay cheques.

amazing stuff. you can see it's the empire state building.
the tension in the clothes, flapping wind.
Report zorrostrikes July 9, 2017 10:42 PM BST

found this one today - not seen it before? nice equestrian art.
Report Foinavon July 10, 2017 8:51 AM BST
Those guys earned their corn.

The two figures are in a sort of dance, flying Torvill and Dean.
Report zorrostrikes July 10, 2017 9:24 AM BST
the tiny people suggested on the roof of the sky scraper?
little touches that sell it.
usually the cover has very little to do with the story inside.
the guys that invented most of the billion dollar characters in Marvel,
got very little recognition or cash. being paid scale rates.
Stan Lee pocketed it all. star wars could be traced back a Jack Kirby
sci-fi story or two. Steve Ditko made spiderman what he was.
I don't think the lawyers for marvel like to give them total recognition.
With so much money floating about today in the movies, I think they might
have paid retrograde bonuses to them now. Or not?
the movies make a billion at least - each film? mental amounts.
Report zorrostrikes July 10, 2017 9:33 AM BST
one story I heard about Jack Kirby was that they cut his pay rate
because all he did was churn out tremendous pencil drawings at
a super quick rate. 12 hours at his desk a day. The other artists
complained that it was too easy for him. Like handicapping him
with weight. Cutting his pay because he was too good?
Too creative. WTF.
In later years the family wanted his original art work returned,
which was refused in most cases.
I saw one cover page sell recently for a Kirby Thor comic from 1965,
for $75,000.00 - Sotherbys. If only I was a collector of
original cover art.
Report zorrostrikes July 11, 2017 10:27 AM BST

Jack 'King' Kirby - street scene in a kid's comic.
Report Foinavon July 16, 2017 2:17 PM BST
Very busy drawing, how does he do that?
Reminiscent of his later namesake Josh Kirby who did the illustrations for Terry Pratchett.
Some very complex and garish ones in "The Illustrated Eric". I like his "Elenor of Tsort" the most beautiful woman who ever existed, now enormously fat and surrounded by dozens of children in a parody of Helen of Troy.
I will post a link if I can find one.
Report Foinavon July 16, 2017 2:23 PM BST
Here is a link to the image.

https://theidlewoman.net/2017/01/29/eric-terry-pratchett/eric/
Report zorrostrikes July 16, 2017 4:50 PM BST
like a Jabba the hut drawing. On a throne and extremely obese.
Robert E Howard did something like that?
involved a city run by two kings, one was fat, white and a schemer -
the other was fit,black and not too bright.
they tried to dethrone each other by subterfuge, coups. 
R.E.Howard was ever so slightly racist?
Report Foinavon August 5, 2017 1:23 PM BST
Here is some digital art I really like. Imaginative and tongue in cheek. I'm posting the link rather than images as they are likely to be copyright.

https://9gag.com/gag/aZgxzNz?ref=pn
Report Foinavon October 5, 2017 3:13 PM BST
As we drift towards winter I thought I should take up my paintbrushes again.
Started with a relatively easy watercolour sketch of a famous waterfront as a warm up without bothering about details.
Has anyone done any painting or drawing over the summer? A vision of the apocalypse perhaps
or memories of holidays?

Report Foinavon October 11, 2017 9:05 PM BST
I based this painting of a busy, smoke filled French Café on photography by the brilliant Saul Leiter.
It reminds me of bygone years spent in that beautiful country. Gouache on A3 watercolour paper.

Report Foinavon October 15, 2017 5:23 PM BST
If anyone is interested, there is a new series of Sky Landscape Artist of the Year starting on Wednesday 18th October on Sky Arts.
Report Foinavon October 18, 2017 9:21 PM BST
A good first episode, recorded at picturesque Knaresborough castle.
There was a varied range of talent and styles on show which made landscape painting interesting for a change.
I look forward to episode two.
Report Foinavon October 28, 2017 3:11 PM BST
I bought some tubes of Galleria acrylics in a half-price sale earlier this year and decided to try them out by copying a Fauvist style self-portrait by Matisse.
The Fauvists used bold strokes of unnatural colours which were left unblended as in this portrait. The style is artistic Marmite, either you like it or you don't. It is a joy to paint in this liberated way especially as you don't need a preliminary drawing. Block in the colours and the image appears as if by magic.
I used a limited palette of four colours plus titanium white (Permanent rose, lemon yellow, Ultramarine blue and raw umber) on hot pressed watercolour paper.

Report Foinavon November 8, 2017 8:19 PM GMT
I made this mono-print (based on a sketch by Valentin Serov) using black ink on thin wrapping paper.
The highlights were added with chalk. I've had to tape it to a piece of cardboard to stop it rolling up. Will paste it down later.
If you haven't a good eye for drawing, you might want to look into mono-printing as you can use a mix of tracing and craft techniques to construct interesting pictures.

Report Foinavon November 22, 2017 8:42 PM GMT
I tend to find cubist paintings rather dull and somewhat confusing. Not so orphic cubism which combines cubism with the bright unblended colours of Fauvism.
My favourite exponent of this style is the American born artist Lyonel Feininger (1871 - 1956). His paintings seem to sing with the fragmented colour vibrancy seen in stained glass windows.
Here is my attempt at painting a version of his "Sailing Boats" using acrylic paints on hot-pressed paper.

Report SlippyBlue November 22, 2017 9:02 PM GMT
I really like your "Sailing Boats" painting Foinavon.
Report Foinavon November 22, 2017 9:07 PM GMT
Thanks SlippyBlue.
Report SlippyBlue November 22, 2017 9:09 PM GMT
You are welcome Foinavon, I've just sent you a p.m.
Report Foinavon November 22, 2017 9:22 PM GMT
Replied, Slippy.
Report Foinavon November 30, 2017 2:25 PM GMT
A couple of months ago, someone, maybe Akabula, posted some photos of the new bridge across the Forth estuary.
I liked the elegance of the structure and the way the cable stays formed a series of regular triangles with the roadway. I thought this could form the theme for an abstract painting so tried this out yesterday. OK, it's not a painting of the bridge, it's an abstract for its own sake.

Report Foinavon December 14, 2017 3:06 PM GMT
Another genuine fake in acrylics of a Lyonel Feininger original "Stille Tag Am Meer iii"
A similar theme to "Sailing Boats" (two pics above) although the calmness of the sea is depicted here compared with the dynamic swell of the other.

Report Foinavon January 10, 2018 11:07 PM GMT
Sky Portrait Artist of the Year 2018 is starting soon on Sky Arts.
Episode 1 to be broadcast on 16th January at 8:00 pm

The artists reaching the televised stages of this competition are of a pleasingly high standard and this is a must watch series for me. I hope some other forum contributors will be interested in watching too.
Report Foinavon January 18, 2018 8:18 PM GMT
I saw some amazing photos on the internet of people skiing with a riderless horse  (Skikjöring mit reiterlosem Pferd). I though these would be a good subject for a dynamic painting.
I'm not all that familiar with horses and only have photos to go on so any feedback regarding the anatomy from someone close to horses (MD?) would be welcome.

Report Foinavon February 7, 2018 8:12 PM GMT
You might recognise this location even if you have never been there. It is sometimes used as a backdrop on politics shows when interviewing local MPs like Ken Clarke and Anna Soubry.
The neo-baroque style council house was opened in 1929 and the statue of Queen Victoria was there from 1905 to 1955 when it was moved to a new location on the banks of the river Trent.
I've tried to depict it at dawn on a foggy day a lifetime ago.

Report Foinavon February 12, 2018 11:58 PM GMT
Take "Shelley" a vibrant attractive woman with gorgeous healthy skin tones and highlights and produce a bland cardboard cut out portrait that does nothing for her. Just contrast that with the portrait of husband "Barry".
The only saving grace is the painting of the frock which is lovely.
That's my opinion, what's yours?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43036228
Report Jack Hacksaw February 13, 2018 11:36 AM GMT
Certainly prefer the bloke's portrait.

Thanks for keeping the thread going Foinavon.  Always interested to see your art.
Report Foinavon February 13, 2018 1:38 PM GMT
Thanks, Jack. Unfortunately, neither Velasquez nor Zorrostrikes care to post anymore and I always found their views interesting. Hank said last year that he hoped the thread would be kept alive and I note that it still gets a fair number of views so I keep posting. I'm in the middle of painting two portraits at the moment and it wouldn't be right for me to post them on here so it will be a few weeks yet before I have something else to show.
Report Foinavon May 4, 2018 2:29 PM BST
As the weather is warming up, I decided to have a go at a summery scene with my acrylics. Not entirely happy with it and could do a better job with watercolours.

Report Foinavon May 9, 2018 5:23 PM BST
I dashed off this cut down version of the poppies picture this afternoon in watercolour to compare with the previous acrylic painting. I'm a bit dubious about the sky and it might be better if the blue was cropped away.
I quite like how the flowers and the sun turned out.

Report Foinavon May 17, 2018 10:02 AM BST
Summer holidays are fast approaching. This beach scene was inspired by twenty-year-old holiday snaps of North Cornwall. (I left out the people).
It could be an alien landscape but it is real and out there for all to enjoy.

Report Makybe_Diva May 19, 2018 9:52 PM BST
I'm ashamed to say that I've neglected this thread of late.

Some fabulous paintings, Foinavon.

I especillay love the poppies and the cornish beach and you have captured the power of that horse perfectly, it's a stunning painting.

I love Zorro's Sophia Loren, too.

You guys are so talented.
Report Foinavon May 19, 2018 10:27 PM BST
Thanks, MD. I find horses difficult to represent so I'm pleased you think it looks right.
The Cornish beach is Bedruthan Steps near Newquay and is only accessible at low tide. Most photographs you see of it are taken from the clifftops usually with sea surrounding the rocks. Unfortunately, my photo of the painting has some camera shake which I only noticed when reproduced on here, I took it on my mobile phone.

Did you watch "The Big Painting Challenge"? I thought there were some interesting subjects and good tips from the tutors. I hope they do another series.
Report Makybe_Diva May 19, 2018 10:35 PM BST
I did watch it, Foinavon. I thought the judges were very unkind some of the time. I didn't enjoy this series as much as the last one.

I'm sure there will be another series next year. I agreed with the judges choice of the winner.
Report Foinavon May 19, 2018 10:46 PM BST
Yes, so did I. Early on I picked him and Anil as the best with Tilly as the best of the women. Anil did some good work early on but lost the plot towards the end and wouldn't take advice from the tutors. The handsome bricklayer was quite good too and I expected him to progress. Some of the others really struggled and being in front of the cameras under time pressure probably unnerved them. It would me.
Report Makybe_Diva May 19, 2018 11:06 PM BST
Yes, I really liked some of Anil's work.

They were a really nice bunch of contestants.
Report Foinavon June 6, 2018 6:14 PM BST
A barn owl hunting.
I based this painting on a wildlife photo I saw in an old calendar. Unfortunately, I don't know the name of the photographer.

Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now