Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
rob_dylan
15 Jan 12 13:26
| Topic/replies: 12,128 | Blogger: rob_dylan's blog
Got a small 2metre by 2metre bathroom and I want to get rid of it all and get new sink, toilet and shower.  Can you still have a bath in a wet room?  Will presumably need re tiling and drainage sorted and waterproofing?  Any rough ideas before I get a quote?  Is it something you can do yourself? 

Cheers in advance.
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View How much does a wet room cost?
Show More
Report rob_dylan January 15, 2012 1:29 PM GMT
Just looked at money saving expert, they're saying ten thousand, fk that.  What about just stripping it all out and putting in a new three piece suite and re tiling walls and floor?
Report orioles January 15, 2012 1:35 PM GMT
That sounds about right, RD.

We had one put in to a slightly bigger bathroom and the equivalent size/cost would have been about £10k.
Report V4 Vendetta January 15, 2012 1:37 PM GMT
I had one put in a rental property on the cheap a few years ago.  It's still fine and only cost a few hundred for a 3x3 bathroom.  You could still have a bath in there and just 'ramp' the wet stuff around the base.
Report rob_dylan January 15, 2012 1:41 PM GMT
Ok cheers guys.  How long does it take?  A day, two days, a week?  If it needs two guys a week then that is a fair whack before you've paid for materials
Report desperatemunter January 15, 2012 2:25 PM GMT
Get a Panic Room instead ! Internet link,  thick steel doors, no-one to hear you scream when the 1.01 gets busted
Report everythings gone green January 15, 2012 3:07 PM GMT
10 grand for a few tiles?

Here in NE Thailand you can buy a 2 bedroom house with a wet room for 10 grand.
Report Vubiant January 15, 2012 3:14 PM GMT
10K ? -someone's having a laugh ...no way more than about 4/5 K depending on how complex the plumbing might have to be.
Report Chingville_Arizona January 15, 2012 3:16 PM GMT
2 grand
Report MONEY TREE January 15, 2012 3:20 PM GMT
Just looked on google for you some fella in London offering wet services for men @ £1000 sounds cheaper for you.
Report Chingville_Arizona January 15, 2012 3:22 PM GMT
lol got any tips TREE ? Please
Report MONEY TREE January 15, 2012 3:24 PM GMT
yes sure tip of the day never p1ss in the bath if you aee in it.
Report desperatemunter January 15, 2012 5:59 PM GMT
I do wet work, if that's any help   (The Jackal)
Report rob_dylan January 15, 2012 6:05 PM GMT
I wonder how hard it is to do this stuff yourself?  Might just sod the bath and get an all singing all dancing fancy shower with loads of room.
Report Vubiant January 15, 2012 6:49 PM GMT
I agree - shower is deffo the way to go .
Report hitmanhearn January 15, 2012 7:11 PM GMT
Im a tiler by trade and have done numerous refits bathrooms and wetrooms,wetrooms are a great way to go although you cant have a bath in a wetroom,it defeats the purpose.£10,000 seems expensive but you would certainly be looking at at least half that if you include tiles.Your room sounds like it is around 16 square metres.
Report rob_dylan January 15, 2012 7:17 PM GMT
I have done a bit of tiling before, what else do you need to learn?  I don't fancy pouring grout to falls?  Sounds a bit tricky to me.
Report GPT January 15, 2012 7:35 PM GMT
10kLaugh
Report Crisp77 January 15, 2012 7:36 PM GMT
Loads of cheap tile places in our area. Maybe it is the grout that costs so much?
Report twomatchpoints January 15, 2012 7:39 PM GMT
My brother-in-law did his own in his bungalow. I don't know what it cost him, but it definitely wasn't 10 grand.
Report hitmanhearn January 15, 2012 7:42 PM GMT
big difference doing a downstairs wetroom to doing an upstairs wetroom.
Report V4 Vendetta January 15, 2012 8:35 PM GMT
It's really like a big bin bag glued down and you can put one under a bath. Whether you pay £10k or not is up to you.
Report Mc Moonbeam January 15, 2012 8:38 PM GMT
wet rooms don't have baths .. it's a wet room

personally i always want a bath .. won't buy these crappy apartments with 'cough shower rooms cough' installed in them
Report hitmanhearn January 15, 2012 8:42 PM GMT
what would be the point of putting one under a bath ? How many drains do you want in one bathroom ? Im not being rude but i dont think building/renovation work is your strong suit.Stick to betfair kid.Cool
Report carpet1 January 15, 2012 8:46 PM GMT
i did a small shower roo m myself,didnt tile it,used wetboard 2 sheets @85 each.

200 toilet and w/h/b
  40 taps
  90 shower
  80 shower tray
280 shower cubicile
170 wetboards as above
  50 mastics and others
350 fitting by plumber
1260 total

maybe missed small item,say 1300 for job lot.
Report hitmanhearn January 15, 2012 8:53 PM GMT
Fair enough but that isnt a wetroom.
Report rob_dylan January 15, 2012 8:58 PM GMT
My room is 2m x 2m hitmanhearn.  How does that make 16 square metres?
Report hitmanhearn January 15, 2012 9:09 PM GMT
Each wall must be around 4sm ,4 walls equals 16m minus window an door approx 4sm? equals 12sm plus 4sm floor equals approx 16sm.
Report structuredbet January 15, 2012 11:34 PM GMT
its a bit like saying - i fancy a car, how much does one cost.

The tanking stuff is pretty cheap all things considered, as is the floor former. Its all the other gubbins you need that racks it up. Tiles is one of the things that blows the budget, and labour if you arent doing it yourself.

you can probably get one done for 2.5k your size if you were prepared to do the work yourself and didnt go too high spec. Would say 4-5k if someone is doing it for you. we just renovated our place and did four bathrooms, three of which we did fully tanked with walk in showers (impey aqudec floor formers, majestic framelsss shower glass. that kind of thing). We also have baths in two-  just makes sense to tank the entire room if they are above ground level and you have young kids. Saves the hassle of numerous floods ruining the cornice in the rooms below.

There are massive differences in the cost of all items depending on what you go for. Cheap chinese slate you can get for 25sq m, but decent quality honed stuff with good solid colour can cost 100 sq m. Same for wall tiles. 16sq m of wall if you fully tile can become expensive. taps are another area of dramatic price difference as are bathhs, though interestingly, i found basins and toilets pretty cheap across the board.
Report rob_dylan January 16, 2012 6:35 AM GMT
Cheers for that structured.  One thing I've not worked out is if you have to create falls, presumably away from te door, will you not end up with a step at the door?
Report hitmanhearn January 16, 2012 8:32 AM GMT
You have to install a floor former but seriously if you havent done this type of thing before you cant just install a wetroom on the first floor of your house and tile it yourself,it is just asking for trouble,get it done properly or the ramifications will be disastrous.
Report everythings gone green January 16, 2012 8:53 AM GMT
I'm seeing a Reg Holdsworth type scenario here.
Report rob_dylan January 17, 2012 6:35 AM GMT
Did a bathroom at my bro in laws place yonks ago, we put Down this sickly black stuff, like molten rubber, for waterproofing.  Perhaps just get a new suite and re tile it.
Report seaview January 17, 2012 8:09 AM GMT
I'm getting one done for nothing by the local council about 7-8k they said it costs. Keep **** all over the place,so it will be easier to hose me down.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now