Forums

Cheltenham Festival

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
irishone
12 Jun 18 10:12
| Topic/replies: 7,220 | Blogger: irishone's blog
Broken my post cheltenham promise not to bet until jan 1st 2019 . Pat Kelly has one race in mind for this horse according  to those in the know at rossie last night. 6\1 is well worth a punt at this moment in time top up as the others fall away , it wont be 6\1 on the 15th march 2019 and you can still lay it off for profit
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View PRESENTING PERCY
Show More
Report irishone December 10, 2018 7:09 PM GMT
Patrick was at it last year as well, he keeps everyone guessing in the stable . For Davy to come round the outside off the last bend in the RSA he knew he had plenty in the tank and for me the ground wasn't soft and heavy in places , it was a lovely day and the course had dried out all morning. I believe it was on the good side of soft, which would add credence to Patrick's comments about Punchestown going this weekend. I think you will find he wont be in a rush to put Percy in at Leopardstown either.

The arguments on here over the ground at Cheltenham happen every year. The word HEAVY rarely appears in the going description. I often go out in the middle for the Cross County , conditions there usually tell me all I need to know. OK its where the drains converge but standing water there one day (Balthazar Kings win in 2014) and Classic had it as "GOOD, GOOD TO SOFT IN PLACES", you could leave an imprint on the hurdle course!
Report shlotter December 11, 2018 1:56 AM GMT
I have been backing him steadily in piecemeal for Mammy. Want to see those tricolores everywhere when we beat the English at Cheltenham.
Report impossible123 December 13, 2018 9:06 PM GMT
Given good weather forecast for Kemton at x'mas I do not think Presenting Percy will pitch up here either as the ground will probably be better than he'd have encountered at Punchestown last sunday; Savills Chase at Leopardstown on 28th Dec could be his 1st outing of the season.
Report irishone December 13, 2018 9:58 PM GMT
? Pp at kempton ? Where do you get them from ?
Report impossible123 December 13, 2018 10:11 PM GMT
The connections of PP post his scratching at Punchestown stated all options possible including supplementing PP for the King George at Kempton if ground was suitable as he was ready to run.
Report Quevega06 December 13, 2018 10:39 PM GMT
Irish I thought you were in the know?
Report shlotter December 14, 2018 4:17 AM GMT
I reckon they will run him in a three mile hurdle on heavy going in January just to give him a run out, then put him away for Shelltennnnnennnn'hamm in Engurlandshire
Report irishone December 14, 2018 8:11 AM GMT
Ha ha , that was the owner on ATR impossible .
He was taking the pi55 as I recall....
Report irishone December 14, 2018 8:16 AM GMT
Quevega there is only one person in the know in p g stable
Report impossible123 December 18, 2018 5:36 PM GMT
Been backed for the Savills Chase at Leopardstown.
Report Quevega06 December 19, 2018 10:04 AM GMT
Surely he can't defeat Road to Respect for,the price is a joke tbh
Report Quevega06 December 19, 2018 10:04 AM GMT
*FTO
Report irishone December 22, 2018 10:47 AM GMT
I will be laying pp for the saville
Not sure he's 100%
Report irishone December 23, 2018 8:37 PM GMT
Hoghly unlikely pp will take part, rain forecast wed, thursday, friday
Report impossible123 December 23, 2018 8:53 PM GMT
No market (here) hence unable to lay him antepost if one want to. He might not even show up for the Savills Chase now given the forecast. I must admit I was surprised connections had not opted to have come to England instead for the King George despite more favourable weather forecast and probable easier ground condition.
Report irishone December 23, 2018 9:59 PM GMT
As said in the OP
Percy is being trained to win the GC nothing else !
Report sageform December 24, 2018 11:34 AM GMT
Just watched the RSA again on RTV and he was certainly impressive in the last 3 furlongs but my comments would be:
1. Jumping efficient but not impressive. Rarely made ground but his best jump was at the last fence.

2. Looked an out and out stayer to me which might suit the Gold Cup but has he got the pace of Waiting Patiently, Politologue or Might Bite?

3. The rest of the RSA field have done little to advertise the form although PP did win very easily.

I still have an open mind but can't see why he is favourite for the GC when he has not even raced since March and every time a target is announced, he is pulled out. I reckon it is evens he even runs in the GC.
Report Hibore December 24, 2018 2:28 PM GMT
He must be the worst antepost Gold Cup 2nd fav in history. Irishone must hope he keeps getting pulled from his intended targets so he can keep dreaming.
Report impossible123 December 24, 2018 8:12 PM GMT
Looking increasingly likely another no-show on friday given the forecast is friendly weather between now and then; the present going is good at Leopardstown.
Report sageform December 26, 2018 4:20 PM GMT
GC now even more open after the KG. I would put a line through Might Bite and Coneygree after today but anything else is still in the running. Is PP the best in Ireland?
Report irishone December 26, 2018 5:14 PM GMT
Without a doubt , was told Thursday last week he is not 100% , he will go for savill only if he gets his ground which is  good to soft . The area of high pressure over England actually makes this likely .
Report sageform December 27, 2018 8:34 AM GMT
Don't like horses that have been on the go until Xmas but have not run. I know Native River did it last year but they never planned to run him before Newbury.
Report Hibore December 27, 2018 10:33 AM GMT
Can’t be a good sign keeping getting pulled. Still have no idea why he’s so short for the Gold Cup when Thistlecrack (much better hurdler and higher rated Chaser) is treble his odds. Doesn’t make sense to me....
Report irishone December 27, 2018 11:50 AM GMT
Patrick kelly is a very astute person
He is taking the right route
Last year pascha de poler, penhill, altior, native river all targetted a year out
But nichols,willie,hendo  and tizzard .....are all ok ?
he has a superstar in a tiny yard in the west of ireland
You have no idea what this means to the area
Theres a twelve foot high statue of BOBBY JOE in a nearby village
There is only one race on his mind......as you were told last june !
Report buddeliea December 27, 2018 12:26 PM GMT
Is PP the best in Ireland?

No sage
Report impossible123 December 27, 2018 2:29 PM GMT
"Thistlecrack trebled PP's odds, makes no sense"

Thistlecrack is exposed, and he put in his best jumping shoes at Kempton yesterday. But the Cheltenham hill will catch him out if he could not at Kempton.

PP beat a non-stayer in Monalee in the RSA, I firmly believe.
Report irishone December 27, 2018 6:02 PM GMT
Ok budd go ahead ...who is the best in ireland ?

Impossible ....dont write off monalee , serious horse on his day
Report impossible123 December 27, 2018 7:56 PM GMT
I think Monalee ran in the wrong race last Cheltenham ie RSA instead of JLT - he might have beaten Shattered Love, if so.

What's happened to Death Duty? He's not been seen since Dec 2017 after he fell behind Footpad.
Report foxy December 27, 2018 8:04 PM GMT
Irishone

If I drove from Galway to Roscommon would I pass that stage of bobbyjo
Report foxy December 27, 2018 8:04 PM GMT
Irishone

If I drove from Galway to Roscommon would I pass that stage of bobbyjo
Report foxy December 27, 2018 8:05 PM GMT
Statue not stage
Report foxy December 27, 2018 8:08 PM GMT
Agee with impossible about Monalee running in the wrong race at the festival last season however that’s not to take anything away from Percy,hopefully we will see him in the galmoy hurdle again.
Report irishone December 27, 2018 8:10 PM GMT
Foxy it depends if you had a mount bellew yer !
Report foxy December 27, 2018 8:17 PM GMT
Wtf does that mean
Report sixtwosix December 27, 2018 8:49 PM GMT
The rest of the RSA field have done little to advertise the form although PP did win very easily.

Apart form one of the beaten horses finishing second in the Ladbroke and winning the Welsh Grand National.
Report irishone December 27, 2018 9:57 PM GMT
Yes you would foxy , in mountbellew
Report buddeliea December 28, 2018 7:58 AM GMT
Irishone

I think Road to Respect will prove to be the best of the Irish this season.
Report foxy December 28, 2018 8:49 AM GMT
thought so irishone all though could not remember the name of the village i planned to stop and have a proper look on the way back but ended up coming back another way,amazing a little place like that has a statue of a grand national winner,i saw on the other thread you like ascot near perth its probably the only course outside the british ilses i have been to and liked,you also mentioned ballinrobe not been yet but will be going there in august.
Report irishone December 28, 2018 2:20 PM GMT
Yes budd good shout
I thought road to riches underachieved though my only worry

Ballinrobe is stunning, you need the weather though mate, sunset over the mountains is unreal
Report irishone December 28, 2018 2:22 PM GMT
Foxy the nearest pub has a plaque on it ,yhsts the pub carberry road bobbyjoe into
Report FOYLESWAR December 28, 2018 3:15 PM GMT
looks like last seasons staying novices were /are a good bunch ...............
Report differentdrum December 28, 2018 3:27 PM GMT
Kemboy won with any amount in hand. That just makes him look very good.

I backed him in the JLT last year when I think a bad mistake scuppered his chances. If I remember he was a late gamble. Had he been ridden as today it might have been a different story.

It looks as if he has loads of pace and he was still running away at the end of today's race. If his jumping holds up then he is going to be a big threat to the more thorough staying types.
Report vinnie_roe December 28, 2018 3:31 PM GMT
The best 3 mile performance of the season, so far. Would have hacked up in the Hennessy.
Report impossible123 December 28, 2018 3:58 PM GMT
Kemboy looked impressive winning the Savills Chase, and the bookies have cut his price into 8/1 from 40/1 - an over-reaction. no doubt; beat Monalee a non-stayer by 7.5l with Road To Respect who'd a troubled passage and nearly came down twp fences out just behind. The rest can be discounted for the Gold Cup unless sprouts two wings come next March at Cheltenham.

The unlucky horse was Road To Respect who'd have been a lot closer with a trouble-free run, I believe.
Report sageform December 28, 2018 4:17 PM GMT
The year of the 6/7yo chasers. Kemboy, Elegant Escape, Clan des Obeaux, Ramses de Teillez, Dingo Dollar and others.
Report irishone December 28, 2018 4:33 PM GMT
Monalee a non stayer .......?

Is that why he was in the front two from start to finish ?
I have a feeling impossible , and i may be wrong about this ....
That HDB knows a bit more about horses than you .
Correct me if im wrong but how many do you do each day ?
Report buddeliea December 28, 2018 5:40 PM GMT
Well I aint changed my mind re RTR,often they get short of room round the inside,a cleaer run and without the bad stumble he would have been a lot closer,and I think he could well be a big threat in the Gold Cup.
Have to say though,the winner was impressive,but will he do that at Cheltenham? Not for me at the price he is now.
Monalee stays 3m ok,and that's another boost for the RSA form,so Irishone you should be pretty happy with that re PP.
Report duffy December 28, 2018 5:48 PM GMT
RTR ran a very good race today, he made up a lot of ground after he was hampered, however he'd be a Ryanair horse for me, he didn't get home in the GC last year after traveling well throughout, he got in tight to the final two which didn't help last year also, which didn't help.
Report buddeliea December 28, 2018 6:02 PM GMT
Yeh I can see your point Re Ryanair,but I do feel he will be given another go with an extra year behind him,he could well be a tad stronger this season.
Personally think if NR is in the same form on the day as he was this year,he  wins again. He got horses at it earlier than they would have wanted,but if he aint then horses like RTR could take advantage.
Report impossible123 December 28, 2018 6:09 PM GMT
It is not uncommon to have differing opinions on horses, and it's healthy too. Nevertheless, I'll stick to mine regarding Monalee; his trainer might think differently. Then again the top flat trainer a Mr Aiden O'Brien did admit he got Saxon Warrior wrong running him in The Derby. 

Monalee is no Grade 1 3 miler in Ireland or here. But the unlucky horse was Road To Respect who managed to get within 1/2l of Monalee despite many lengths behind after the stumble two fences out; Monalee just plodded on at the same pace.
Report FOYLESWAR December 28, 2018 7:39 PM GMT
david mullins said " we went very very   slow and even when we took it up we still went slow ,every thing went to plan really and we just had to let him go .nothing took me on ,he jumped really well and ther is plenty to improve on  he could be a proper horse
Report FOYLESWAR December 28, 2018 7:42 PM GMT
of kemboy ^^
Report irishone December 28, 2018 9:27 PM GMT
Perhaps thats the difference between ejits who know feck all impossible and people  in the game who can admit their mistakes.
Monalee has earnt plenty from grade one chases in uk and ireland as well as grade 1 hurdles, winning over 220000
What planet are you on ?
Report impossible123 December 28, 2018 10:49 PM GMT
Is that how you respond whenever someone has a differing opinion to you ie throw the baby out with the bathwater?

Monalee had only won 1 Gde 3 hurdle race. And once he'd been beaten by Penhill over 3m I'd always laid him including the RSA - I backed him for the JLT - and had been doing so ever since including today. The horse clearly is no Gde 1 3 miler unless it's a walkover.

You may choose not to reply. However, if you do, and not reply in a civil manner I'll put you on 'ignore' as your opinions and behaviour are not appreciated by me as they do not reflect the purpose of what a forum is for.
Report irishone December 29, 2018 1:14 AM GMT
It's not called ignore it's called BLOCK

....but that's a factual statement the likes of which you keep ignoring !
Report cyclops December 29, 2018 8:50 AM GMT
Have to disagree about Native River, budd. I was amazed to see him shorten for the Gold Cup after a display that could charitably be called laboured.

Always something of a showboat, he's getting slower with age. While Kempton was never likely to be ideal, he was struggling to go the pace even going to the first and was never on the bridle.

No-one can take away a Gold Cup - won in fantastic fashion - but, while accepting it was a great race, it may still have been a substandard one. The heavy ground allowed Native River his one chance of a Gold Cup and he took it brilliantly but such conditions are most unlikely to recur. With Clan Des Obeaux and Kemboy both hugely impressive, there's a real chance that a new era is beckoning and Native River will struggle to compete against what seem to be much classier animals. And we still have Percy to stake a claim as well.
Report Hibore December 29, 2018 10:00 AM GMT
Much classier animals ? Clan Des Obeaux has been beaten in his last 4 races by horses including Native River and Thistlecrack ! It is far too soon to think he’s superior. He seemed suited by Kempton’s ground and track and probably improved 5lb -7lb on his Haydock 4th. Thistlecrack probably ran his race again and Native as expected found things happening much too quickly and ran a good stone under his rating.

The Gold Cup is a totally different test. Which on all evidence we have Native River is best equipped as he won last year and ran on strongly when totally outpaced on Weds.
Clan will need to run uphill for another 60 secs after the line at Kempton to put it into perspective.

I don’t really have a handle on Kemboy but he looks the best of the Irish by a nose from Road to Respect. Presenting Percy needs to strut his stuff before we can make a judgement but could be better than both of them.
Report irishone December 29, 2018 10:13 AM GMT
Spot on hibore.
Amazing how many people look at winter racing and take what they learn and apply it to spring racing.
Ranks alongside taking form from a flat galloping track onto an undulating roller coaster like cheltenham
Report buddeliea December 29, 2018 11:25 AM GMT
Cyclops
Yes its possible we have a new pecking order so to speak,but 2 runs by CDO and Kemboy aint enough for me to actually think that.
Yes history tells us to take notice of the KG and Lexus winners when looking at the Gold Cup,but also horses that run some of their best races at Cheltenham like NR who is still plenty young enough.
I know a lot subscribe to the fact the ground was in his favour and maybe not others(MB in particular)and no argument from me there,but I genuinely feel looking at his form that he would still have won on better ground.As I have said before I don't think he is ground dependant as much as people make out.He has some nice form on decent ground.
Just think hes a proper stayer with a touch of class and speed that enables him to dictate races at the right distances on the right course.
3 and a quarter miles at Cheltenham is perfect for him to do just that.
Haydock and Kempton over 3m are not.
Report irishone December 29, 2018 12:56 PM GMT
its his action budd , it shows you what a class horse he is winning on good and soft when he pounds the turf in front of him
Report duffy December 29, 2018 1:24 PM GMT
Neither CDO or Kemboy give me the feel that they'll be winning a GC.
Report impossible123 December 29, 2018 8:48 PM GMT
I think on the performances of Kemboy and CDO I'd side with the run of CDO in the King George as the more progressive and reliable because Thistlecrack (a good yardstick) ran above his chasing form jumping the best he'd in the past. Also, the run of anther solid yardstick in Native River gave further credence to the merit of CDO's performance.

I think Kemboy could still feature prominently in the Gold Cup, but the muddling pace of the Savill Chase and the troubled run of Road To Respect made me question his superiority somewhat; 8/1 is just too skinny.
Report irishone December 30, 2018 12:41 PM GMT
obviously a few good stayers about now monalee, delta work, road to riches, percy , blow by blow ….. but theres only one that loves cheltenham
Report irishone December 30, 2018 12:42 PM GMT
*respect obviously ….
Report duffy December 30, 2018 1:54 PM GMT
Imagine how many replies this thread would get if the fooker actually ran in a race.Grin
Report bigH December 30, 2018 8:33 PM GMT
Laugh
Report The Dragon December 31, 2018 3:06 PM GMT
LaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh
Report impossible123 December 31, 2018 4:54 PM GMT
Presenting Percy (PP) and Laurina (L) both ought to get a room together; more chances of getting a sibling from them than seeing them on a racecourse at the moment. And I know PP is a gelding; immaculate conception!
Report foxy January 4, 2019 5:06 PM GMT
Irishone

Blow by blow LaughCrazy
Report irishone January 13, 2019 8:19 AM GMT

Nov 8, 2018 -- 3:41PM, Hibore wrote:

I think Irishone has had his fishing rod out.

No need to apologise lads !

Report irishone January 13, 2019 8:22 AM GMT
shockster • November 7, 2018 4:15 PM GMT

Does anyone know where/when Percy is going to start this season?

irishone • November 8, 2018 12:22 AM GMT

3 mile hurdle
Late jan early feb
Gowran
Report irishone January 14, 2019 10:15 AM GMT
Percy taking similar route as last year
Report irishone January 14, 2019 10:16 AM GMT
Irish gold cup  after gowran hurdle
Report foxy January 14, 2019 12:47 PM GMT
didnt run in the irish gold cup last year he raced against our duke in the red mills at gowran.
Report irishone January 14, 2019 6:33 PM GMT
Yes mate and it was a grade two in the guise of a grade one ,two and half in hvy at gowran is three at leppardstown.... So its a similar prep not a
Report irishone January 14, 2019 6:33 PM GMT
L
Report irishone January 14, 2019 6:34 PM GMT
Soz ...on train ..... Realise its not exactly the same
Report Hibore January 14, 2019 7:58 PM GMT
Really ? The Lord Lucan of racing misses every possible opportunity for the last 16 weeks and then runs twice in 2 weeks ?

My reading of the situation is similar to Waiting Patiently where the trainer is too scared to run in case the bubble bursts. WP could be the real deal as shown true Graded form but PP has it all to prove.
Report impossible123 January 14, 2019 8:15 PM GMT
PP beat a non-stayer in Monalee, and also started at 5/2 for the RSA; receiving 7lbs and beaten by Our Duke who was an out-and-out stayer over 20f; beaten by Jury Duty. His present price of 9/2 is outrageously short with no gain if winning his 1st outing, but implode if not. Yet, a racing journo still reckoned he could be value - is he for real?

I think PP is a fake fav, all things considered.
Report foxy January 15, 2019 9:08 AM GMT
dont wont to be picky hibore but there is 23 days between the two races not two weeks,

is elegant escape a non stayer ?
Report Hibore January 15, 2019 9:54 AM GMT
Isn't the Galmoy Hurdle on the 24th January and Irish Gold Cup on the 3rd Feb ?
Report foxy January 15, 2019 10:07 AM GMT
thats correct but i was referring to the galmoy and the red mills crossed wires somewhere.
Report Hibore January 15, 2019 10:24 AM GMT
irishone 

14 Jan 19 10:16 

Irish is the man in the know apparently....
Report foxy January 15, 2019 10:48 AM GMT
Don’t want to be picky hibore but that would be 10 days not two weeks Wink
Report Hibore January 15, 2019 11:47 AM GMT
That is being very picky. Laugh

Really ? The Lord Lucan of racing misses every possible opportunity for the last 16 weeks and then runs twice in 2 weeks ?
Report foxy January 15, 2019 12:24 PM GMT
The forecast for Gowran over the next 9 days doesn’t show much rain
Report sageform January 16, 2019 1:23 PM GMT
Just checked the 14 day forecast for Ireland and as you say, not much rain. So Why did Gary Moore just say they are expecting 50mm?
Report foxy January 16, 2019 1:31 PM GMT
Must admit sageform I thought the same perhaps he has a forecast on the days immediately prior to the fixture ,but as far as Gowran is concerned hardly any rain ,unthinkable for that fixture not to be run on at least soft ground.
Report foxy January 16, 2019 9:25 PM GMT
Sageform coc lorcan wear says he is expecting 40/50 mils rain over the next ten days
Report irishone January 17, 2019 12:16 AM GMT
Cant predict irish weather lads
Report irishone January 17, 2019 7:20 AM GMT
PP
whats he got to prpve.
Hes a dual cheltenham winner
Fact is
If he was at willies or gordons he would be much shorter
If he was at hendos hed be the second coming

You were given good info last november lads and mocked it
Report Hibore January 17, 2019 7:43 AM GMT
Irish, he’s still the same bonkers 6/1 as he was when you put the thread up. If he misses the Hurdle and Irish Gold Cup he’ll probably drift.
Report irishone January 17, 2019 10:24 AM GMT
over 5 g laid off on here at under 5's hibore CoolLaugh

wont miss gowran hurdle
Report irishone January 17, 2019 10:25 AM GMT
over 5 g laid off on here at under 5's hibore CoolLaugh

wont miss gowran hurdle
Report irishone January 17, 2019 1:50 PM GMT
Gowran would be a great indicator if the likes of any from willies stable like Bachasson ,Bapaume , Bleu Berry, Coquin Mans , Killultagh Vic , Limini or  Shaneshill fulfil their engagements.
Report impossible123 January 17, 2019 4:37 PM GMT
PP: Only Irish money, I believe. No sane person would back him at 9/2 or 5/1 (here); beaten nothing of note eg Monalee (33/1, 46 here); beaten by Our Duke receiving 7lbs; fake fav of the highest order. I only backed him because I knew Monalee (10/3) was a not stayer; 5/2 in a 10-runner race, was that a good thing especially the 2nd fav (a not stayer) was 10/3?

I'd not back PP with free money or a free bet.
Report Quevega06 January 17, 2019 7:14 PM GMT
Road To Respect seems the more sensible bet at this stage around 12s
Report irishone January 17, 2019 10:22 PM GMT
Monalee won over 2m 5f in hvy at clonmel .....
Report irishone January 17, 2019 10:25 PM GMT
Hasnt the non staying monalee beaten that we lsh national winner elegant escape ?
Report impossible123 January 17, 2019 11:15 PM GMT
A horse could beat any other horse if the horse it beat made a bad mistake at the crucial moment eg Might Bite in the Feltham.

Monalee does not stay a competitive Gd 1 chase in any country over 24f let alone 26.25f with an uphill finished; the Clonmel race was a Gd 3 hurdle.

Let me reiterate: Monalee does not stay a truly run Gd 1 3m chase let alone 3m 2.25f; he ought to have run in the JLT last season.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now