Forums

Cheltenham Festival

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
irishone
12 Jun 18 10:12
| Topic/replies: 39,284 | Blogger: irishone's blog
Broken my post cheltenham promise not to bet until jan 1st 2019 . Pat Kelly has one race in mind for this horse according  to those in the know at rossie last night. 6\1 is well worth a punt at this moment in time top up as the others fall away , it wont be 6\1 on the 15th march 2019 and you can still lay it off for profit
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View PRESENTING PERCY
Show More
Report foxy June 17, 2018 10:02 AM BST
i feared the worst when i read your topic title,
Report Hibore June 19, 2018 9:15 PM BST
I love an ante post but this doesn’t excite me at 6/1. There are only three possible winners on form at the moment and Presenting Percy is a good stone behind 2 of them at the moment. I’d expect him to close the gap by March but if they all run he’d be around the 3/1 or 7/2 if they all lined up.
With 9 months to go it’s not great value in my opinion.
Report irishone June 20, 2018 9:55 AM BST
Interesting Hibore. there are other factors which probably cancel each other out. Cant see Native River coming back unless its the same ground, which is unlikely. I personally don't think mite bite likes Cheltenham. So it leaves itself open to an improver and most punters look immediately at the RSA . Kelly is a very astute trainer and the number of runs he puts into presenting percy, one of which I am assured will be over hurdles , between now and next march,  will signal the strength of his intention .
Report Hibore June 21, 2018 10:21 AM BST
Kelly is very astute and Presenting Percy is a very exciting Novice. I just think the price has been squeezed to the maximum already..6/1 for a horse that has to prove itself against it's peers let alone get to Cheltenham in one piece. I would like at least 10/1 at this stage.
Regarding NR he'll definitely run in the race and is a tough nut to crack whatever the going and Might Bite's best ever rating was this years Gold Cup. Backing all three at about 5/2 could be the way forward ?
Report cyclops June 25, 2018 3:02 PM BST
Backing short priced horses nearly a year ahead for the Gold Cup is hazardous.

You only have to think back to last season and remember some of the extraordinary prices offered at stages of the season about the following:

Thistlecrack - despite returning from a tendon injury and being beaten by Many Clouds in his last race, he was only around 5/1 before his reappearance.

Yorkhill - despite Mullins stating no target, he was among the single figure horses in the autumn.

Coney Island - the strangest of them all. Beating Adrien du Post, who ran himself into the ground, in a 3 horse race bought him briefly into single figures.

Our Duke - around 7/1 before he'd reappeared.

Killultagh Vic - Another to come into single figures, despite running in the Gold Cup with only three chases behind him, having returned from injury. In those three chases, he had fallen once and blundered badly at the last in another.

Yes, this could sound like aftertiming but my point is that getting there is a challenge - only two of the above made it - and a great deal can happen throughout a season. Remarkably, these five horses that were all quoted at single figure odds for Britain's premier steeplechase managed a single victory over fences between them (excluding the race which brought Coney Island to the forefront of the betting), and most of them finished the season with their reputations diminished, if not shredded. (RIP Our Duke).

While I'm a fan of Presenting Percy, the odds are not attractive. He reminds me a bit of Forgive n Forget in his hold-up tactics, efficient but unspectacular fencing style and abundant stamina. A fine horse but I'd want something more enticing to tempt me at this stage, particularly with the Big Two from last year such solid performers.
Report charwell. July 19, 2018 1:34 AM BST
I was surprised how quick PP was last year and very impressed with his performance in truth. However, on good ground if Altior is fit he will win. If it's soft Native River is a tough nut to crack. PP best chance would be on very soft going but not sure he would quite have the stamina to see off a a horse like NR.
Report Middle_Of_March July 20, 2018 12:42 AM BST
I assume you don’t mean 2 Miller Altior Charwell?

Almost definitely he doesn’t go for the GC
Report irishone July 20, 2018 1:27 PM BST
I am convinced Presenting Percy is going for the Gold Cup
I am convinced he will be shorter than 6/1 on the day.

Therein lies my case your lordships
Report Middle_Of_March July 23, 2018 4:00 AM BST
You’ll get a run for your money if he’s fit to race Irish.

There’s no chance whatsoever he runs at the festival in anything but the GC.

I personally like Might Bite at 13/2. I know he didn’t win this year but I thought that was a brilliant performance on heavy ground against a mud lover who stays all day in Native River. MB put it up to him all the way round and never flinched at all. He looked a matured horse and providing it’s not a desperately heavy track again (unlikely to be that bad ground two years on the bounce), I’d fancy him to go one better.

Are you not worried about his trainers way of placing him for his prep Irish? It showed the class of Percy for him to win the RSA so convincingly against a good one in Monalee despite his prep race against Our Duke being over a stupidly shorter trip unnecessarily. I’m not sure I’d want my Gold Cup fancy going in on the back of a prep like that personally.
Report irishone July 24, 2018 6:20 PM BST
My objective is to lay Presenting Percy at a profit before the race.
Report irishone August 3, 2018 8:37 AM BST
Horse is in great form and there is only one thing on the horizon !
Report Can't Catch Me August 8, 2018 12:33 PM BST
The horse will almost certainly be 4/1 on the day.

Why would anyone back him at 6/1 seven months out on that basis?
Report irishone August 9, 2018 9:55 PM BST
We will see what price it is going to be on the day.

PP is odds on to be there imvho.

NR , MB ...... not so sure
Report GAZO August 10, 2018 9:33 AM BST
you must be very close to the stable to have gained the information that PP is being aimed at the gold cup
Report barnesey August 13, 2018 11:01 PM BST
An RSA winner????? What else would they be aiming him at?
Report irishone August 15, 2018 10:20 PM BST
Well I suppose that there is the hurdle prep race !
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now