Forums

Cheltenham Festival

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Paterson92
03 Apr 18 00:00
| Topic/replies: 993 | Blogger: Paterson92's blog
Clearly fragile but absolutely no shame in twice finishing 2nd at the Festival behind the monster that is Altior.

Was briefly reflecting on this years Festival with a view to next seasons targets. So what now for Min? What does the future hold for him?

Given that Min has now finished 7 lengths behind Altior over hurdles and over fences I would be confident enough to say that Altior would have to underperform for the form to be reversed should they ever meet again.

Frustratingly will never know (for now anyway) if Douvan retains all of his ability prior to injury. Until proven otherwise, I believe Douvan is still their superstar and seen as the better horse by connections in comparison to Min.

Mullins has of course never won a Champion Chase and with or without Douvan next season, they look to have a potential threat to Altior in this years Arkle winner, Footpad.

Given that Un De Sceaux is not the force of old and will be 11 by next years festival, the automatic assumption (for me anyway) is that Min could step up in trip for the Ryanair Chase for which he is a general 10/1 chance currently.

However, my crazy thought for the day is the possibility of Min reverting back to hurdles for a potential tilt at the Champion Hurdle (don’t worry, I’m going to bed soon). My reasons being:

1) Had current champion Buveur D’air behind him in his Supreme. Yes, clearly Buveur D’air has improved since then, however that improvement came after reverting back to hurdles

2) Mullins is short of ammunition in the division now that Annie Power has retired and Faugheen will soon be following her I would imagine. I don’t see any of his Novices from this years festival going down the Champion Hurdle route (Laurina a possible exception)

3) Do they really see Melon as being their main hope? Someone certainly predicted he was going to run a big race last month as he was backed off the boards and very nearly caused the upset. I for one couldn’t have backed him with stolen money going by his 3 previous efforts so he certainly proved me wrong and perhaps I am underestimating the horse once again.

4) Mullins has reverted horses back over hurdles successfully before. Most notably Vroum Vroum Mag and Benie Des Dieux winning the Mares Hurdle recently. Although reverting Yorkhill back over hurdles was more of a recovery mission than anything else, Mullins had been saying for a long time he was considering doing so.

Alternatively, do some people possibly consider Min as a potential Gold Cup horse next season? As always, I’d be interested in everyone’s opinions on this. To be truthful, if he were mine I wouldn’t know what to do with him but would be a nice headache to have I suppose.
Share |
Show More
Report BigField April 3, 2018 2:19 AM BST
fair points mate can't say Min's a bad shout at all for the champ hurdle! Only negative is there can't be many of us who like to back the roundabout Mullins stable antepost
Report eric_morris April 3, 2018 11:45 AM BST
No chance goes from full tank to nothing when asked. Nowhere near good enough for a Champion Hurdle winner too slow when asked.
Report duffy April 3, 2018 3:22 PM BST
Problem is that Min is very much in the Melon camp, good horse but no star.
Report Paterson92 April 3, 2018 9:59 PM BST
Each to their own I suppose, but if Min and Melon were to run against each other in a 2 mile hurdle race, my money would be on Min every time.

You are spot on there duffy, however I do believe Min has a Festival win in him one way or another - just been rather unfortunate to run into a freak the last twice.
Report duffy April 4, 2018 6:00 AM BST
I'd be with Min too out of those two, but I think that Mullins would be wanting to find something better to go to the CH with, that's Laurina IMO who could very much be a star, the 14's for her is based greatly on the assumption she'll go mares hurdle but to me everything points to a CH prep for her.

They have BDD for the mares, they are no way going to waste two bullets in that race when they might have a CH winner amongst them especially when you consider that AJ who Elliott probably left short this year could beat them both anyway.

The owners have already sold Buveur D'air and it would surely be an attractive proposition to go and take him on with another horse with a sex allowance to boot.

She's beat nowt much I know but she just looks like a bit of a machine to my eyes who I think would have gone very close in the Supreme. If she and Samcro meet at Punchestown we'll find out a whole lot more about both horses and will shape how they both are campaigned next year.
Report irishone April 4, 2018 1:18 PM BST
willie and ritchie have min down asa staying chaser lads
Report impossible123 April 4, 2018 2:10 PM BST
A shame Min did not go for the JLT instead of the Champion Chase (CC) as he was comprehensively beaten by Altior in the Supreme - the CC result was unavoidable; I think he ought to have run in the JLT when Monalee was an absentee. Min will never beat Altior in a 2m NH race, all being equal; he is also not good enough for the CH either, I firmly believe.

I think Laurina has a lot more to prove as she's beaten nothing of Grade 1 potential, at present - Maria's Benefit ran freely in the Mares Novice; she needs to achieve at least what Limini had done at this stage 1st eg ran against the likes of BD and AJ.

A run against Samcro next will be her defining moment before the CH could be seriously considered, I firmly believe.
Report Desmond Orchard April 4, 2018 2:24 PM BST
JLT? That race for novices?
It goes without saying that you come out with some sh1te, but that’s got to be bang up there with your best.
Absolutely clueless.
I leave the assertion that because horse A beat horse B two years ago there’s no point in ever trying again alone, you’ve already topped it.
Report unclepuncle April 4, 2018 3:55 PM BST
Desmond  - the guy is just a massive tool.Crazy
By his reckoning Sprinter Sacre never happened as there was no possible way he would ever be good enough to beat Al Ferof afetr getting beat in the Supreme.

Wish Betfair would ban him.
Report Paterson92 April 4, 2018 11:06 PM BST
“A shame Min did not go for the JLT instead of the Champion Chase” and “I think he ought to have run in the JLT when Monalee was an absentee”

Please tell me this was trolling / fishing? Strangely, I’m not so sure.
Report impossible123 April 4, 2018 11:57 PM BST
Sorry, I meant Ryanair.

Min had no chance of beating Altior over 2m in any discipline, all things being equal. I believe his connections would have done better running him in the Champion Hurdle given the performance of Melon. Next season, however, he could meet Mpnalee, Waiting Patiently, etc, in the Ryanair or Samcro in the Champion Hurdle given the standard on show presently over 2m hurdles.
Report firstimevisor April 5, 2018 11:51 AM BST
So now you meant the Ryanair even though your logic behind it was that Monalee swerved the JLT??

Given your very limited knowledge of the subject matter, its truly amazing that, time and time and time again, you claim to know better than the trainers themselves which races their horses should run in.
Report impossible123 April 8, 2018 4:06 PM BST
Min has been installed the new fav at 6/4 for the Melling Chase at Aintree after Altior has been ruled out by Hendo today nevertheless, he's still joint fav with Douvan for the Irish  Champion Chase at 7/4. I think unless Douvan is unsound Min will be Aintree bound.
Report foxy April 9, 2018 10:52 AM BST
i hope he is aintree bound other wise what a crap race this grade one will end up.
Report Paterson92 April 12, 2018 5:39 PM BST
Min declared to run tomorrow in the JLT Melling Chase at Aintree (2m3f200y) against Balko Des Flos, Politologue, Cloudy Dream, Le Prezien and Sizing Granite.
Report impossible123 April 13, 2018 3:46 PM BST
With the eclipse of Min in the Melling will Mullins run him again in the Irish Champion?
Report Paterson92 April 14, 2018 2:15 AM BST
No doubt Min is a top class horse and his narrow defeat wasn’t helped by the fact he was keen throughout the race, however he did have Politologue 16 lengths behind him in the Champion Chase recently which would suggest the trip possibly stretched him today and certainly wouldn’t be rushing to back him for a Ryanair after that.

So what now? Keep him at 2 miles and potentially play second string to Douvan and have another crack at Altior next season? Yard also have Footpad who could figure if that’s what they decide to do.

Surely they must at least consider reverting back to hurdles with Min next season?
Report impossible123 April 14, 2018 10:25 AM BST
I think Min is in a bit of quandary as he's not good enough to be top class over 16f, and 20f is stretching his stamina a touch. And with the possibility of Samcro and/or Laurina over 2m (Champion) hurdles next season I cannot foresee Min be pitched over hurdles again.

I think Douvan is very, very unlikely to be as good as he was (touted) to be post his injury. I also think Footpad has the measure of Min but lacking the potential and class of Altior; the present crop of Arkle participants is no better either.

I think Altior is the one for a few more seasons, all being well, unless Hendo decides to pop him over further. And I cannot see Samcro being pitched against him soon given the main target of the latter is the Gold Cup and not the Champion Chase; the Champion Hurdle a probable for Samcro for one season only, I firmly believe.
Report irishone April 15, 2018 6:30 AM BST
Min needs further.jumps like a stag and had no problem with two and a half miles in heavy at gowran . Seven years of age and beaten on a flat track this horse has everything going for him and is still improving.
Report duffy April 15, 2018 6:27 PM BST
Not sure if his stamina was truly tested at 1/10 and over 2 stone clear..do you...remember irish...staying is relativeGrin
Report duffy April 15, 2018 6:29 PM BST
and he's a keen goer, not good if you want to go further...and therefore slower early on....he's an out and out 2 miler IMO..and the quicker they go the better his chance.
Report impossible123 April 15, 2018 7:26 PM BST
Min finished a distance infront of Politologue over 2m in a Grade 1 race but got chinned over 2m 4f by the same horse despite going the better. Clearly a distance issue to me, no?
Report Hibore April 15, 2018 8:52 PM BST
Min is just a bridle horse. Obviously talented but not one for a battle..Walsh even commented before the last fence that Politilogue would win according to Nick Luck.

Only way Min wins a big one is for the race to fall apart and he can pick up the pieces.
Report impossible123 April 15, 2018 10:04 PM BST
We'll find out whether he truly stays 20f in a competitive Grade 1 over here. I'd not back him if he does have another go though but the Irish Champion over 16f, I would, with/out Douvan.
Report Paterson92 April 18, 2018 1:37 PM BST
Money around for Min in the Irish Champion Hurdle.

PP have him co-fav along with Melon and Samcro.

Maybe I’m not going crazy after all.
Report impossible123 April 22, 2018 4:04 PM BST
Min's been declared for the Irish Champion Chase on tuesday to do battle with Douvan and Un De Sceaux (UDS); he's 2nd fav at 11/4 with Douvan and UDS at 5/4 and 11/2 respectively. I hope he wins.
Report Paterson92 April 22, 2018 8:04 PM BST
Personally I would like to see Douvan back to his best, would also give us a better idea of where Min stands. Assuming Douvan wins convincingly on Tuesday, surely they won’t campaign Min towards the Champion Chase next year?

Would therefore leave them with 2 options - 1) up in trip 2) revert back to hurdles
Report duffy April 23, 2018 12:17 AM BST
It would have to be back to hurdles, however Laurina will win the CH for the stable next yearLove
Report impossible123 April 23, 2018 8:43 PM BST
I think Min at 3/1 against Douvan tomorrow is tasty and value considering Min was 5/2 against 9/2 Douvan at Cheltenham; Monalee at 15/8 is too but end of season big Irish races seldom go according to form in the past. Maybe a small double/treble with Footpad for interest is the way forward.
Report Paterson92 April 25, 2018 1:10 PM BST
Min declared over hurdles on Friday against Melon and Samcro - if he runs that will be 3 runs in the space of 14 days.
Report impossible123 April 25, 2018 4:46 PM BST
If Min runs on friday Mullins and Ricci need certification, and charge with animal cruelty!
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now