Forums

Cheltenham Festival

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Autocue
19 Mar 18 10:53
| Topic/replies: 869 | Blogger: Autocue's blog
Mullins owners at Cheltenham

First Places:                      Munir and Suede, Mrs S Ricci, RA Bartlett, Luke McMahon, Paul McKeon, Tony Bloom, Sullivan Bloodstock
Second Places:                  Mrs J Donnelly, Mrs S Ricci, Miss M A Masterson, Edward O’Connell, David Bobbett
Third Places:                     Malcolm Denmark, TFP, Palmerstown Racing, Luke McMahon

Andrea and Graham Wylie: 4th 13th PU 5th 14th PU

Maybe they should try supporting British trainers.
Share |
Show More
Report impossible123 March 19, 2018 10:08 AM GMT
Wylie's been messed about and playing 2nd fiddle to Ricci for a while now eg Shaneshill, Bellshill and lately Yorkhill; he's a more astute and successful business person than an owner. He needs to get a grip and not put all his eggs in one basket, I truly believe, and take a leaf out of Gigginstown's book.
Report johnslad March 19, 2018 10:13 AM GMT
No (SH)(BH)or (YH)I believe walofs
Report duffy March 19, 2018 12:44 PM GMT
Listening to him he simply has no ego, doesn't care and is easy going, he'll state time and again that he's not the expert and "trusts" Mullins/Ruby to put his horses in the right races....c'est la vie!!
Report ReaseHeath March 19, 2018 1:29 PM GMT
You might not be over the moon with those results if you were married to Mrs S Ricci either.

Winners all have different owners and 14 different owners of the 16 horses who finished in the first three, does n't exactly reek of favouritism does it?

Mullins success clearly not dependent on one or two big owners.

I take the point about Wylie though - there are plenty of up and coming trainers in the UK who he could support if he had more imagination - some of them are even based in the north (Jefferson?)

Thanks for putting that together, Autocue - all food for thought...
Report buddeliea March 19, 2018 3:48 PM GMT
He is tailor made for a trainer like Mullins then Duffy.
Report Autocue March 19, 2018 4:27 PM GMT
No problem ReaseHeath, it seems to me British trainers need more support if they're going to be competitive. They've had the majority of runners at Cheltenham with a minority of winners for the past two seasons and the Irish dominance looks like it's set to continue with Nicky Henderson as one of the few left with his finger in the dam wall. Your point about Ruth Jefferson is excellent. Her decision to keep Waiting Patiently back was justified and she had the strength of mind to stand up to all the flack from ante-post backers. That Ascot race was gruelling. It was probably a fantastic last hurrah from Cue Card but as I expected he paid the price at Cheltenham, Frodon was very poor and Topnotch and Coney Island would have been fancied at Cheltenham but, like Waiting Patiently didn't make it. If Ruth gets good horses from the likes of Wylie she'll do right by them, I'm sure of that.
PS fair play to the Irish, they have some remarkable trainers and it isn't just about having the best horses.
Report buddeliea March 19, 2018 4:36 PM GMT
For me its all about the best horses.
You wont have success without them.
At the moment the Irish are getting the cream it seems.Until that stops then i dont see any difference anytime soon.
The likes of Henderson,Nicholls,King for example, given the ammo, would be just as successful as any irish trainer,no doubt in my mind.Well they have been anyway,so thats been proved,and they aint past it or forgotten their job.
Report Autocue March 19, 2018 4:41 PM GMT
Well I hope something changes. I got off to a good start this year with Summerville Boy but I haven't got time to keep up with the Irish form as well as the British form and if you can't do that these days you're dead meat at Cheltenham and have to be very selective with your bets to make a profit.
Report firstimevisor March 19, 2018 5:28 PM GMT
There's no doubt the likes of Paul Nicholls is a top class trainer - his overall record speaks for itself. But I cannot have it for one second that he doesn't have the owners and/or spending power to compete at the top level. Why hasn't he? A quick glance at his runners in the last week alone shows a portfolio of owners that any trainer would die for...JP McManus,Trevor Hemmings,Highclere,De La Hay,Million In Mind, Graeme Roache,John Hales,Andy Stewart, Barber, Waley-Cohen,Maxwell,Geffen, Vogt, Wylie,McNeil, Giles. And that's just last week.Yet he has hardly had a proper Grade 1 horse for 3 to 4 years now.

Mullins and Elliott are putting the establishment to shame.They are sourcing and buying ordinary handicappers from other yards every day of the week and improving them no end.Dan Skelton is showing great initiative in this regard but why are the top UK trainers not doing this. Every Summer Mullins plunders the top flat handicaps with some of his hurdlers when Nicholls and Henderson practically close up shop for five months.The times they are a changin but some are more adaptable to change than others
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now