Forums

Cheltenham Festival

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Autocue
17 Mar 18 12:19
| Topic/replies: 869 | Blogger: Autocue's blog
If it hadn't be for her, Pacha Du Polder would have won three consecutive Foxhunters. Nicholls should hang his head in shame for putting a befair gimmick ahead of the interests of his horse.
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View How rubbish was Pendleton?
Show More
Report Bindaree March 17, 2018 10:59 PM GMT
More likely he should hand his head in shame having to enter horses in a race designed for amateurs !!
Report irishone March 18, 2018 4:30 AM GMT
agreed

no longer a force in u k racing

shouldnt have fallen out with ruby
Report buddeliea March 18, 2018 6:49 AM GMT
Not sure what Walsh has to do with it.
Nicholls as is as good as anyone at training a horse,particularly Chasers.

Anyone having a pop at him,ought to look at how many chasers trained by Mullins fell last week!!!
Report Jb23 March 18, 2018 10:28 AM GMT
Think its personally more of an issue of the major owners and bloodstock agents wanting to send their horses to Ireland rather than Nicholls no longer being a force in racing. Like everything else in racing and sport, it goes in cycles. Im sure he will get a few good ones before long
Report Bindaree March 18, 2018 1:21 PM GMT
BTW that should have been "hang his head" and not hand his head.  lol
Report Bindaree March 18, 2018 1:29 PM GMT
From a lot more runners Mullins only had the same number pull up compared to Nicholls. Not sure what the fallout with Kauto Stars owner was all about but strange he's never put another horse with him. At least I don't think so. Not saying Nicholls can't train but a lot of good horses seem to have had shortened careers.
Report sageform March 18, 2018 1:49 PM GMT
I don't think that Clive Smith has had another horse with anyone since. It was all about who should have the Kauto after he was retired as I recall.
Paul Barber has been a great support but I doubt if he can compete with he big hitters in Ireland. The most telling difference between the English and Irish trainers were the novices and the bumper. Henderson, Tom George and Tizzard were notable exceptions but otherwise the bigger English trainers didn't even have runners in some of the novice races while Mullins and Elliot had 4 or 5 each in some cases. This does not bode well for next year!
Report Storm Alert March 18, 2018 3:41 PM GMT
Nicholls is still a great trainer, his handling of his top grade one horses is a good as any NH trainer.  From a punters point of view I trust him to get them to the races ready to run for their lives.  There are many trainers that can't manage that.

Unfortunately he hasn't had the grade one firepower in recent years compared to Henderson in the UK and Mullins / Elliot in Ireland.  Smith was so lucky with his early foray into horse ownership I can sort of understand why he stopped.  I gather the fallout was because of Smiths reluctance to keep buying horses and not then allowing Kauto Star to retire with Nicholls resulted in an acrimonious split.  It is clear Nicholls cared for Kauto Star who apparently was a nice kind horse to train compared for example to Denman who was brute that would take your arm off given half a chance.
Report impossible123 March 19, 2018 8:59 AM GMT
I think it is unfair to draw a comparison between Ms Tucker and Ms Pendleton - they were trained in vastly differing disciplines.

A very good ride by Ms Tucker despite riding handicapped with a dislocated shoulder after jumping the last. For once, I was enormously glad she maintained her advantage to the line.
Report Autocue March 19, 2018 9:47 AM GMT
Given the likes of Ms Tucker have been trained for this discipline, Pendleton was taking an opportunity to win away from a better jockey and she also removed the opportunity for the horse to win. The betfair gimmick stopped Pacha Du Polder from winning three in a row for the first time in the history of the race.
Report impossible123 March 19, 2018 10:02 AM GMT
Indeed, maybe 'Betfair' could compensate the connections but not the trainer who ought to have the guts to say that was not in the best interest of the horse and other more capable jockey. If any consolation it has shown the disparity and negative influence of betting entity on the sport and fledgling jockeys.
Report Autocue March 19, 2018 4:35 PM GMT
Hear, hear. I was surprised at Nicholls consenting to the gimmick it as I think he's done a lot to bring on good young jockeys and trainers and in my opinion has been good for the sport. Presumably he was influenced by £££££££
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now