Forums

Cheltenham Festival

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
impossible123
16 Mar 18 18:44
| Topic/replies: 7,885 | Blogger: impossible123's blog
It is the best ever for me, and one to treasure for a long time. It has action from the start; jockeyship; competitiveness and constitution from both horses. A wonderful race to watch whether one is involved or not, and also punter friendly. Just a shame there can only be one victor.

Looking forward to more battles between these two horses next season (hopefully).
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View Native River and Might Bite 2018 Gold...
Show More
Report duffy March 16, 2018 5:46 PM GMT
Might Bite
Native River
Sizing John
Presenting Percy

I'd like to see that raceExcited
Report PeteTheBloke March 16, 2018 5:46 PM GMT
Great ride on the winner - I thought Might Bite had a bit in reserve but the way Native River kept
going was just amazing. Smashing race.
Report wellchief March 16, 2018 5:51 PM GMT
Will never beat Long Run, Denman and Kauto turning for home in a line for me, but this was certainly up there.
Report letsrock! March 16, 2018 5:52 PM GMT
Agreed...solid display of jumping travelling and heart
Report impossible123 March 16, 2018 5:52 PM GMT
Would be nice that 4 turn up. On good ground top and bottom for me, otherwise the 2nd, if soft/heavy. If anyone is interested Might Bite is 4/1 with 'ok' koral' for the 2018 King George.
Report buddeliea March 16, 2018 5:52 PM GMT
Bl00dy brilliant.
Loved it !!!
Report wellchief March 16, 2018 5:57 PM GMT
Added to some brilliant novice performances from Footpad, Samcro, Laurina, Presenting Percy, Shattered Love etc - plenty to look forward to next year too.
Report brendrew March 16, 2018 8:38 PM GMT
epic race-in reality a two horse race

so proud for both of them I hope it doesnt break mite bite..
Report johnslad March 16, 2018 9:00 PM GMT
Don't think Will break any them,just expect weak bowl at Liverpool if trainer's have respect for welfare,it's not haydock heavy but they need time to recover
Report Autocue March 16, 2018 9:31 PM GMT
A proper Gold Cup. I suspect the tables would be turned on better ground and here's to Presenting Percy joining in next year.
Report duffy March 16, 2018 9:35 PM GMT
Be interesting to see how NR is campaigned next year, you wouldn't really think the KG would suit him ideally, so could it be that he takes in the haydock race and then Ireland at Christmas?
Report unclepuncle March 17, 2018 7:07 AM GMT
Why would they change a winning formula. Henrietta showed with Best Mate the way to win multiple races, as did Mullins with Quevega.
Only other race I'd consider for Native River would be the Hennessey off top weight like Denman did - he loves Newbury after all and would have 10 weeks off before the Denman Chase back at Newbury.

Is there any race suitable for Might Bite before the KG, he can't run in the same Sandown race as this season. Maybe if they go to Ireland but I can't see that happening?
Report FOYLESWAR March 17, 2018 10:54 AM GMT
its not often you get a  supposedly open looking championship race dominated by 2 horses so far out these 2 never saw another horse from miles out nothing landed a blow at them and although the winner a stronger stayer in the ground mite bite clear of the 3rd ,race was a brutal one and no knowing if both horses will be the same again so caution advised !
Report impossible123 March 17, 2018 3:08 PM GMT
The Gold Cup could be the last race this season for Native River, according to Tizzard. Then next season a .ace at Haydock and Betfair Chase prior to the Gold Cup again; if so, no £1m bonus or the King George (KG). I wonder if Might Bite is still available at 4/1 with 'ok koral' for KG.
Report impossible123 March 17, 2018 4:44 PM GMT
I watched the Gold Cup again, and amazing these two horses having a ding-dong battle right after the off. They matched each other stride for stride; fence after fence; jumps after jumps. And neither ever looked like falling.

What amazing athletes these two horses are? I hope the remain sound. I cannot wait for the battle between these two again in the 2019 Gold Cup.
Report sageform March 18, 2018 6:53 PM GMT
I know that time ratings don't tell you everything about race merit but these figures are what the RP topspeed came up with.

Native River 167
Might Bite 162
Anibale Fly 158
Footpad 158
Balko des Flos 156
Altior 152
Un De Sceaux 151
Presenting Percy 101.

So on the prevailing ground Native River was comfortably the best performance of the meeting.

Sizing John last year had a topspeed of 158.
Report dunlaying March 18, 2018 9:08 PM GMT
Silly Arse
Report irishone March 18, 2018 9:30 PM GMT
watched it time and time again today
might bite was not enjoying the ground
native river was loving it
when it came to the hill
might bites memory clicks in from last year
handy enough he gets a lead from the eventual winner
ten metres from the line
might bite flicks his ears....
plenty still in the tank
Report sageform March 19, 2018 7:30 AM GMT
If they are at backable prices, I will be backing both of them again next year.
Report impossible123 March 19, 2018 8:32 AM GMT
The winner of the Gold Cup has not returned to defend their crown in the last three years (if memory serves) eg Coneygree, Don Cossack and Sizing John; Native River and Might Bite are 7/1 each similarly Presenting Percy.

Presenting Percy was a convincing winner over Monalee in the RSA,...the question is is Monalee truly a 3m Grade 1 horse? I do have my reservation. If all these horses turn up next year, even on similar ground (unlikely given history), another stonking prospect of a race in store, I firmly believe.
Report sageform March 20, 2018 9:02 AM GMT
I agree that Percy is a viable contender but he has done nothing yet to justify being favourite. His speed rating was way below the Gold Cup and also well inferior to Footpad and Balko so it is only the manner of his win that suggests there is better to come.
Report eric_morris March 20, 2018 12:45 PM GMT
Our Duke, Gold Cup, form devalued
Report Hibore March 20, 2018 7:32 PM GMT
You might guess I’m a Native River fan but I’m not sure Might Bite would have the heart to go past NR on any ground. I’m already back on at 8/1 which I think is amazing value if you don’t mind waiting 52 weeks to collect.
Report impossible123 March 20, 2018 9:28 PM GMT
I've backed Might Bite and Native River already, the former for the King George too. But the stats for a return of the Gold Cup winner to defend his crown are not good. Also, I'm envisaging a different result on less taxing conditions as I just cannot forget how easily MB was travelling at the penultimate and final fence.

If Sizing John and/or Our Duke run up to form at Aintree or Punchestown they will be formidable opponents too, I believe.
Report GAZO March 21, 2018 9:02 PM GMT
they rode might bite like they wasnt sure he would stay and he didnt,if the going is a bit quicker native river will go a bit quicker,so would expect same result
Report eric_morris March 22, 2018 4:28 AM GMT
If going is quick Native River may not even be placed regardless of Might Bite.
Report eric_morris March 22, 2018 4:28 AM GMT
Like last year
Report duffy March 22, 2018 2:03 PM GMT
I wouldn't be so sure myself, his hard schedule last year may well have accounted for him in last years GC as much as anything else.

I couldn't have MB in front of him now in a GC regardless of the ground personally, I'd also suspect that NR will come out of it the better.
Report sageform March 22, 2018 2:33 PM GMT
Having watched the race again a couple of times, concentrating on MB instead of NR as I was doing on the day, I agree that MB faltered and lifted his head as they reached the point where he tried to run out last year. If he was mine, I would give him another run at Cheltenham before March and if he did it again, put blinkers on. He probably doesn't need them at other tracks. The rail stopped him trying to run out but he was definitely remembering it.
Report duffy March 22, 2018 2:46 PM GMT
Obviously we don't know for sure but I'd suspect that the inclination to go wondering off or acting out some form of quirkiness may well ebb away the more tired a horse gets, much more appealing I'd have thought to just keeping on putting one hoof in front of the other until the punishment stops....MB didn't look like he fancied getting up to any antics to me, he was knackered.
Report Fashion Fever March 22, 2018 3:19 PM GMT
a lazy and obvious view might bite would have won on good ground
Report Desmond Orchard March 22, 2018 3:56 PM GMT
I too suspect that MB would've won on better ground, but that in no way detracts from what was an incredible performance by NR. In fact both horses deserve great credit, both were Denmanesque in the way they had everything else seen off a circuit from home. A classic match up that will be long remembered.
However, I don't think I could fancy either of them next year, huge efforts like that inevitably take their toll and I think I'll be looking elsewhere. MB will be 10yo too, albeit with low mileage, some great horses have gone into the race at short odds at that age and not won.
The difficulty is that this years conditions will be unlikely to be replicated and so whereas normally I'd be all over a performance like Balco Des Flos or Shattered Love for the following years Gold Cup, I'm not sure how reliable a guide this seasons results will be next year. That said, there weren't too many surprises in the graded races and despite the advertised ground the fancied horses were fighting out the finishes. Whether it wasn't as bad as they were saying or whether class will out regardless of conditions is something that will require a good bit more consideration.
Report duffy March 22, 2018 4:32 PM GMT
I'd be happy with PP and SJ against the field at this very early stage.
Report impossible123 March 22, 2018 6:20 PM GMT
At the present moment and with no further negative news about SJ I'd have SJ infront of NR based on last season's Cheltenham Gold Cup form on good ground; Our Duke infront of PP; MB infront of NR for the King George (good/good to soft).

I think the tacky ground was just as responsible for MB'S defeat at the hand of NR. But I'd be more likely to back MB over NR in next year's renewal on good/good to firm ground on present known form and well-being of both horses.
Report sageform March 22, 2018 7:43 PM GMT
Highly unlikely to have the word firm in it. There would only be 2 runners! A year is a long time and I suspect that a fully fit Thistlecrack might have a say in it next year.
Report the bloob March 22, 2018 8:52 PM GMT
I can't help but think Sizing John was a below average winner, proximity to the likes of Minella Rocco and Djakadam doesn't look that great. I know Native River was in there too but I think the race was an afterthought last year, and Native River has improved since then
Report impossible123 March 22, 2018 9:07 PM GMT
I'd not dismiss the chance of Sizing John (SJ) just yet; he beat Djakadam in the same manner as Don Cossack did the previous year. However, I believe Djakadam is no longer the force he was two or three seasons ago.

Native River (NR) may have improved since finishing 3rd to SJ last year but that's not a given either, in my opinion, as he beat a non stayer in Cloudy Dream. Also, the 2018 Gold Cup field apart from Might Bite (MB) and Our Duke (OD) the rest were not proven Grade 1 entities; Djakadam is on the decline.

I still think Minella Rocco is no mug - he beat NR in a 4 miler 2 Cheltenhams back. But this year his jumping has left a lot to be desired. Will wait and see if the Grand National invigorates him otherwise he'd be a back number too.
Report Hibore March 27, 2018 5:52 PM BST
Watch the 2016 National Hunt Chase and the 2017 Gold Cup again. Firstly, Native River was run from mid division in the 4 miler and was staying on hand over fist behind Minella Rocco. It wasn't until Aintree on good ground with Richard Johnson who kicked him from the front that he flourished. The Gold Cup in 2017 is his only defeat over fences since then (Johnson says he wasn't at his best that day ). In that race he was taken on for the lead by BDM, Champagne West and finally Djakadam. Not many horses would battle back after being softened up by 3 horses and still finish 3rd. You can mark up that run.

His game win over Might Bite has given him a rating of 176 with MB on 172. Sizing John is 8lbs lower Presenting Percy has a stone to improve to be a match. Minella Rocco is also a stone behind NR but at least should be suited by the extreme distances like the National.

I'm of the opinion that 8/1 Native River who must be the gamest horse in training is a knock e/w bet.Sometimes the obvious is not that obvious until the result.
Report eric_morris March 27, 2018 6:11 PM BST
Not on good ground kid yourself all you like.
Report eric_morris March 27, 2018 6:21 PM BST
Even those talking through their betting slips can acknowledge this obvious trend in his chase results.

Native River - chasing

Good - 0/3 wins
Good/Soft - 3/5 wins
Soft - 5/5 wins

Heavy 0/1 win
Report eric_morris March 27, 2018 6:27 PM BST
Oh and by the way the term 'wasn't at his best that day' means he got beat.
Report impossible123 March 27, 2018 6:38 PM BST
NR at 8/1 is utmost value even though the event is 12 months away; it has that similarity to that won by Don Cossack post his fall in the King George. My only reservation is...history has a habit of repeating itself ie the last three winners of the Gold Cup (GC) had not been able to defend their crown eg Coneygree, Don Cossack and Sizing John. Let's hope NR breaks that trend.

I concur Presenting Percy (PP) needs to improve plenty to be a thorn in either NR or MB; his heading the GC market is a mega surprise to me; PP beat a non-stayer of 3m in Monalee, and was beaten by Our Duke (OD) and receiving 7lbs in the process. I fully understand PP (7) is a year younger than NR (8) and two to MB (9).

Shame the GC is not in two months' time otherwise I'd be loading up aplenty on NR and MB and possibly OD too.
Report Hibore March 27, 2018 7:20 PM BST
Eric sounds like an unhappy Might Bite backer.

If you went to any of the previews with Johnson he said good or good/soft ground would be fine but heavy ground would inconvenience the others more. I’m not saying if I had a choice I’d want good ground in next years GC but it wouldn’t be a major concern. The facts are NR has been beaten once since Johnson changed the tactics and now has won a Hennessy, Welsh National, 2 Denman and a Gold Cup....rated 4lbs higher than any other chaser. He’s also got the heart of a lion.

I won’t knock Might Bite because I thought he ran the race of his life in the GC. That performance even in defeat was 10lbs better than his wins over Whisper. Maybe he needs heavy ground as well to show his best form ?
Report eric_morris March 27, 2018 9:11 PM BST
Native River - chasing

Good - 0/3 wins
Good/Soft - 3/5 wins
Soft - 5/5 wins
Report GAZO March 27, 2018 10:05 PM BST
he won the hennessy on good going
Report eric_morris March 28, 2018 3:18 AM BST
3:10
Newbury
26 Nov 2016
Hennessy Gold Cup Chase (Handicap) (Grade 3)
(Class 1) (4yo+) (3m1f214yds) 3m2f Good To Soft
Report buddeliea March 28, 2018 7:47 AM BST
Only a decent ground Gold Cup can end this argument....lets hope we get it next year and both turn up.
Stil its an interesting debate.
Myself, I keep thinking about it and as much as I love Might Bite,i just have this fear for him that hes simply not as good as NR when it comes to the Gold Cup conditions.
Hope I am wrong though,and next March I am proved wrong.
Report GAZO March 28, 2018 8:20 AM BST
when native river won the hennessy either the distances for every race was wrong or the going was good from looking at the times
Report Hibore March 28, 2018 9:11 AM BST
eric_morris
     22 Mar 18 05:28   

If going is quick Native River may not even be placed regardless of Might Bite.

eric_morris
     22 Mar 18 05:28   

Like last year

Did you demote him from 3rd because it wasn't heavy ??
Report sageform March 28, 2018 9:11 AM BST
I would back Might Bite to beat NR in almost any other race between 2.5 miles and 3.2 at level weights, but I have watched the Gold Cup several times and as soon as he got to the point that he tried to run out last year (I know it was the new course), his head came up and I think that the paddock entrance rather than the hill caused him to lose interest. Not saying he could have gone past NR anyway, but he certainly threw in the towel at the exact point that they passed the walkway. For that reason I would not back him at Cheltenham.
Report impossible123 March 28, 2018 10:34 AM BST
If the going was quick NR will certainly not be as effective as his principal rivals eg SJ (if 100% well) and possibly MB - he might not even run; if good, similar, eg SJ, MB and Our Duke (OD); if soft to heavy, NR will be in his element whilst others will not.

I firmly believe the extra distance, heavy going and the stamina laden NR found him out, but which one the most though? Until NR meets MB in the King George (KG) no one will be absolutely sure.

But the ease MB was travelling 2 and 1 fence out I'd be hopeful he'd avenge his defeat by NR at a distance shorter than 3.25m irrespective of going; if good or better going, almost a certainty, I firm believe, eg in the KG.
Report GAZO March 28, 2018 10:44 AM BST
might bite was pretty much all out to win this seasons king george against two decent but not top class horses which also suggested stamina limitations
Report sageform March 28, 2018 10:56 AM BST
Agree with every thing you say impossible except that MR (unless blinkers sort him out) will never beat NR in a Gold Cup if they return in the same form. Anywhere else, he probably will.
Report Hibore March 28, 2018 11:21 AM BST
It's a good discussion but the only two tracks that NR and MB would run against each other are Newbury and Cheltenham. They will most likely not meet till the Gold Cup as well.

NR is being aimed at the Betfair Chase (soft ground a certainty) then Denman and then Gold Cup next year. MB will probably run in a small field prep race before KG then Gold Cup. Henderson will unlikely want to take on NR 4 weeks before the Gold Cup at Newbury and the ground in the Cotswold is normally bottomless but could be an option if the ground was soft or better.

Both horses could go into the race unbeaten in the season again and we are in for a cracker !
Report impossible123 March 28, 2018 12:51 PM BST
I think if the ground in the KG at Kempton is soft or worse that £1m bonus could be too tempting for connections of NR to ignore, and a rethink is possible more so if MB is an absentee. Otherwise, the GC will most likely be where NR and MB will probably meet, all being well.
Report Hibore March 28, 2018 2:59 PM BST
Maybe, but the ground would need to be very soft to bring his stamina into play if Might Bite ran. I wouldn't be surprised if Altior had a go if the ground was decent. MB vrs Altior would be a great race on Boxing Day.
Report impossible123 March 28, 2018 3:17 PM BST
Altior vs MB in the KG will definitely be a crowd attraction on a mega scale - I certainly will be there, if so - but doubt very much it will happen. I think it'd be too much of a step-up in trip for the former plus both are trained by Hendo.

I may even back MB against NR in the KG on heavy going given it is 3m (not 3.25m), and a reverse forecast.
Report Desmond Orchard March 28, 2018 3:34 PM BST
Not sure I can handle 50 more weeks of this. Cry
It could even rival the Yorkhill and Finians Oscar threads for pointless speculation dragged out over the most posts.
Before we all start getting too excited about a rematch (when did they ever live up to expectations?), lets see if both horses get there fit and well? Maybe after they've had a couple of runs each next season? Until then it'll just be the usual conjecture going round and round ad infinitum with the entirely predictable hysterical nonsense from the usual source thrown in - Altior V Might Bite in the King George Crazy
Report duffy March 28, 2018 3:54 PM BST
I'd sooner see a PP v SJ threadExcited
Report Desmond Orchard March 29, 2018 1:47 PM BST
I'm not so sure about SJ, duffy.
Class horse, but I think he won a weaker race last year and they don't really ever come back the same.
PP firmly in the mix and I'd be more interested in Shattered Love or Balco Des Flos at the prices.
Report impossible123 March 29, 2018 7:57 PM BST
A PP v SJ thread will be up and running when the latter makes his appearance at a racecourse by Jan 2019. If so, he'd be a serious consideration if coming thro' his 1st race back post injury satisfactorily. Similarly, Our Duke (OD) who beat PP over 20f and giving 7lbs.
Report irishone March 29, 2018 10:47 PM BST
if the going was good we would not be celebrating a native river win , he needs soft at least in the going description.

might bite however needs good at least , but then he cant handle the cul de sac.

NR won on merit but i wont oppose mightbite anywhere but cheltenham.
Report buddeliea March 30, 2018 4:56 AM BST
So had it been good.....who do you think would have won the race?
Report irishone March 30, 2018 12:38 PM BST
We will never know bud
M b could well have dived off right
He definitely looked for the lead up the hill
Report GAZO March 30, 2018 1:20 PM BST
looked for the lead up the hill is more commonly known as being knackered
Report impossible123 March 30, 2018 2:40 PM BST
NR needs to get there 1st - stats not good concerning defending champion - then soft ground at least for a repeat.
SJ needs to recover from pelvic injury, and run by Feb 2019.
MB needs at least good ground to win, similarly, OD.

I'm not keen on PP unless he wins the JNwine or Lexus convincingly; Monalee (does not stay); Thistlecrack (gone). The others are non-entities or improbable runners, I believe.
Report Hibore March 30, 2018 6:13 PM BST
Why does Might Bite need good ground ?

His best ever performance was on soft/heavy rather than any run he’s ever produced on good. That is a fact.
Not many runners up are raised 3lbs from their winning King George rating on ground that didn’t show his best or better form.

Why wasn’t his rating left as it was if he didn’t act on it ?

Maybe he ran the race of his life and was just beaten by a better horse. The handicapper probably has more evidence and data to make these judgements than us.
Report impossible123 March 30, 2018 7:43 PM BST
I think the assumption was MB will not beat NR on soft or worse going, all things being equal, ie MB will finish behind NR.
Report Hibore March 30, 2018 8:27 PM BST
That’s what I was pointing out. People are hoping for good ground for Might Bite next year who on all evidence will run 7lbs lower than this years race beat Native River who needs to run 12lbs lower than this years race. Really ?
Report duffy April 1, 2018 2:52 AM BST
He needs good ground because it would hinder the likes of NR...he doesn't need it for himself per se.
Report irishone April 6, 2018 9:06 AM BST
might bite has won 8 times on good or g\s  ground and once on soft from 9 wins .... fact

he doesnt do heavy or a very dodgy simon claisse SOFT

native river on the other hand has won once on good going from 4 starts. ..... fact

look at might bite coming off the final bend in close up
native river is clearly loving the ground with a high knee action
might bite isnt as you can see with a much lower stride

might bite has run a tremendous race and was on his toes afterwards
watch when the jockeys are shaking hands
he had loads in the tank and was flicking his ears ten yards out from the line
did that go in the handicappers rating ?
he is a quirky individual who cant handle the cul de sac
did the handicapper put that in his rating ?
thats why he looked for the lead up the hill
henderson has a year to get that out of him .... but why bother ?
aintree, sandown , the king george will do
and pull him out next year if the going aint right.
Report irishone April 6, 2018 9:12 AM BST
not to mention that 100 yards out
the jockey doesnt encourage him anymore
he knew what was going on
did that go in the handicappers rating ?
Report firstimevisor April 6, 2018 2:01 PM BST
Might Bite has run only twice on soft ground and these were where he achieved his 2 highest RPRs.....fact.

He traveled like a dream on the ground throughout the GC until the run to the last when his stamina began to run out.....fact.

So what if he flicked his ears or even if he danced a jig after the race...what's the relevance of that? He didn't throw in the towel, he just wasn't good enough on the day....fact.
Report irishone April 6, 2018 2:23 PM BST
ratings aint facts , neither are dreams.
definitely agree he wasnt good enough on the day
Report firstimevisor April 6, 2018 2:35 PM BST
No but they are much more of an indication of performance than flicked ears and low action
Report irishone April 6, 2018 2:54 PM BST
no disrespect but
clearly you havent been around horses enough , if at all
i rate my three in the stable everyday as anywhere between
0 and 100 depending if there is an r in the month.
Report irishone April 6, 2018 2:55 PM BST
how do you kjnow mite bites stamina ran out ?
what indicators have you as evidencs ?
Report GAZO April 6, 2018 3:26 PM BST
he emptied in the king george and got away with it and at cheltenham he didnt get away with it
Report irishone April 6, 2018 4:18 PM BST
where's your proof lads ?
i think n r stayed better
i dont think there was any indication m b didnt stay
he was fecked from the last
because that was the worst ground on the course
if there were indicators what are they ?
Report firstimevisor April 6, 2018 4:26 PM BST
Irish I've been around horses all my life,as far back as I can remember. But I don't see why this matters. If I told you I have 4 horses out in the stables would that make my opinion more valid than yours? Having 3 horses in your back yard means absolutely nothing in the context of Might Bite's Gold Cup performance.

He was upsides Native River, traveling at least as well, on the run to the last with Anibale Fly 8-9 lengths adrift. At the line he was 4.5l behind and only 4l ahead of AF, and the other 2 weren't quickening.
Report irishone April 6, 2018 5:21 PM BST
around horses all yer life?

so what indicators did you see that told you might bite was all out ?
Report impossible123 April 6, 2018 5:29 PM BST
If MB emptied in the King George (3m) he'd have started to back-pedal between the 2nd and last fence at Cheltenham. But he did not,..he was going the better against NR up to and after jumping the last fence - he headed NR for a stride or two up the hill. I think MB was clearly outstayed by NR, and whether it was the atrocious ground to blame for his defeat or not one could not be sure until a similar scenario arose again with the same result on good going against NR.
Report irishone April 6, 2018 6:47 PM BST
to be fair a slowing of pace is usually marking the onset of fatigue
the other you could argue was that the 7 cracks he got werent motivating

im in the oppo camp
the horse spooked again when he saw the hill
needed the lead , hes a head job
finished ok not distressed at all
none of hendo remarks afterwards referred to lack of stamina
he did however mention the mind games
Report buddeliea April 7, 2018 5:05 AM BST
Spoke to one of the lads at the open day,and they put it simply down to the ground and trying to beat a thorough stayer in it,and just coming up short. Whether that means he can beat NR on decent ground,only time will tell.
They are not at all concerned about staying the trip on better ground.
That will do me and it all makes sense to me after watching the race a few times now.
I hope we get decent ground next year,and we can all know for sure.
Report Hibore April 7, 2018 1:05 PM BST
It will be interesting to see how MB runs on Thursday. Soft ground will be in his favour and the trip of 3miles on a sharp track should be his optimum race conditions. If the ground dries up it brings Balko D F into the argument. The more you look into MB form he runs at least 7lbs lower on Good/soft or better.
Report irishone April 7, 2018 5:49 PM BST
love this wrong information, creates bigger prices
balko de flos needs good , ffs ...heard it all now
Report Hibore April 7, 2018 8:26 PM BST
Oh dear....if you honestly think that good ground is what Henderson wants on Thursday then I’m amazed. Good ground then Might Bite is evens if it’s soft then he’s 4/7.
Report irishone April 7, 2018 10:24 PM BST
no hibore, said mb prefers good in the going description , good to soft appears his optimum.
BDF doesnt want dry ground. he won the plate after it peed down before the race , and during it . after the race the stewards changed the going from good to soft , an indication of how much rain had got in. it was the same the night before at cheltenham peeing down on the morning as well, i immediately alerted the cheltenham thread on the greyhound forum.
Report Hibore April 7, 2018 10:56 PM BST
BDF drifted from 4/1 on Sunday before Cheltenham to 16/1 on the Monday due to the ground being against him. He opened at 12/1 and was backed in 8/1 on the day. He won for two reasons 1) UDS raced too freely early on and set up the race for him. 2) BDF was not inconvenienced by the ground as much as De Bromhead feared and all preview evenings said he’d have no chance.

Let’s just look forward to to great race on Thursday which I’m leaning towards MB as we stand.
Report irishone April 8, 2018 10:03 AM BST
I suppose it comes down to some remarks by willie that the horse was a strong stayer in heavy ground when he had him  and the remark by henry that he thought he needed good ground. on top of that for someone who got 14\1 in the best mate enclosure when the horse opened at 12\1 alledgedly i find your reliance upon newspapers and preview meetings misplaced.
Report impossible123 April 8, 2018 3:10 PM BST
Ideally, I think Hendo would want good to soft for MB, but not heavy or tacky ground as that would hinder MB against NR especially in another Gold Cup. On the other hand, good ground would hinder NR more than MB; good to soft could be neutral for both.
Report Hibore April 8, 2018 3:59 PM BST
Irish you should have your own preview night next year. You seem to know more than the jockeys, trainers and owners. Didn’t see you post any threads with any Cheltenham winners either.
Report irishone April 8, 2018 5:13 PM BST
on the greyhound forum there is a cheltenham thread , check it out or checkout the TARGET HORSES thread on this forum.

when itcomes to jockeys and trainers action speaks louder  than words
Report Hibore April 8, 2018 8:32 PM BST
Well you did select a lot of horses on there. Good call on Penhill and couple others.

Looks like we both had good Cheltenham’s even though I selected the one max bet at 16/1 on the Antepost thread.
Report irishone April 12, 2018 3:03 PM BST
Mitebite..... Doesnt stay ??? My r s

HE S A MONSTER !!!!
Report firstimevisor April 12, 2018 3:32 PM BST
What are you talking about?? Of course he stays that trip. Which doesn't alter the fact that the extra 1 and a half furlongs uphill around Cheltenham stretches his stamina to the limit
Report duffy April 12, 2018 3:49 PM BST
How many timesCrazyCrazy staying is relative!!! N/R on soft ground stays the GC trip better...it's even that hard to grasp in all honestyCrazy
Report duffy April 12, 2018 3:50 PM BST
not hard to grasp....harder to type though!
Report impossible123 April 12, 2018 4:12 PM BST
The Gold Cup form was upheld in the Aintree Bowl with the win of Might Bite; his jumping was near perfect apart from one. Another King George triumph looks very likely especially on an easy surface (with/out Waiting Patiently/Native River) but not heavy or tacky; the 3m trip is just up his street.
Report irishone April 12, 2018 7:40 PM BST
Agree duffy
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now