Forums

Cheltenham Festival

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Can't Catch Me
06 Dec 17 10:37
| Topic/replies: 38,605 | Blogger: Can't Catch Me's blog
Always one of my favourite races this and always keen to see what WPM has for it.

Can barely believe Hollowgraphic was available at 33/1 and is still 25/1 (Paddy have always been noticeably short at 14/1) He’s Willie’s only entry in a Bumper at Punch on Sunday, in a race he’s won several times with some really good horses, and could be a short priced fav for the Festival if he wins.

Has only run once and battled on really well to just be denied in the Goffs Bumper at the Punch Festival last season. Some nice types were behind him that day, including Early Doors and the form looks pretty solid to my eyes. Patrick has given him a few positive mentions and they have said he was a big baby last year but has really matured this season. I think it’s telling they’ve kept him back for Bumpers this season.

Think 25/1 looks a complete rick considering Willie’s record in the race and also when you consider the amount of horses Gigg have and take out if the race.
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View The Bumper 2018
Show More
Report Can't Catch Me December 9, 2017 5:11 PM GMT
EVS didn't last long for tomorrow. 8/11 already.
Report bluebirdfan December 10, 2017 8:50 AM GMT
I’m on another two of Willies, Stay Humble and Aione
Report HaylingBilly December 10, 2017 4:39 PM GMT
Hollowgraphic looked very good this afternoon. Patrick rode him like he knew he was on a very good Bumper horse. CCM you are on to a good bet mate. Congratulations. Ands thanks. Coz I got on him as well at 25/1.
Report Arklearkle December 10, 2017 5:35 PM GMT
WD CCM and Hay nice bets
Report unclepuncle December 10, 2017 5:50 PM GMT
Great shout CCM.

Took some 12/1 post race.
Report bluebirdfan December 10, 2017 8:02 PM GMT
Very impressive
Report Can't Catch Me December 10, 2017 11:18 PM GMT
Hollowgraphic given a rpr of 132 thats higher than fayonagh (129) for winning both champion Bumper last year. And the 2nd debuchet (125)
Report Middle_Of_March December 11, 2017 8:27 PM GMT
Good shout OP.

I have taken 12s with Bet365. Patrick Mullins really likes the horse and the way he won suggests he's the best out so far.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan December 17, 2017 4:21 PM GMT
RHINESTONE is no cowboy Devil
Report Can't Catch Me December 18, 2017 12:07 PM GMT
Fat jockey Confused
Report unclepuncle December 27, 2017 6:27 PM GMT
Hugely impressed by Noel Meades Brace Yourself at Down Royal yesterday.
Knowing Meade he will take it softyl, softly and miss Cheltenahm but he looks a future star to me.
Report Can't Catch Me January 2, 2018 10:46 AM GMT
Nice boost for Hollowgraphic's form yesterday. No idea how strong that form will be, but Dunvegan did it pretty easily.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan January 3, 2018 12:35 AM GMT
DUNVEGAN did it pretty easily...nice looking grey Devil
Report Catch Me ifyoucan January 3, 2018 12:41 AM GMT
The winning grey kept up the gallop from over a furlong out and at the line the front-runner had six lengths and two lengths in hand over Clinton Hill (WPM/PW Mullins) and Bugsy Siegel (Meade/Nina).
Trainer Pat Fahy said afterwards: "He's improved at home from the last day, and just the way he was walking around I knew he was in great form. He might have one more run this season, and go hurdling next season. "He was ready to go point-to-pointing, schooled and all, but didn't get there last season."
Report the bloob January 21, 2018 10:33 PM GMT
I've had a brief look at the race and not many have form that has been franked yet, apart from Hollowgraphic. I doubt it'll be that much shorter on the day but 7/1 nrnb is too good to turn down
Report Quevega06 January 21, 2018 11:01 PM GMT
I've taken a chance on Bullionaire,think it was far 2 keen lto
Report Quevega06 January 21, 2018 11:02 PM GMT
Hollowgraphic form is getting cranked everywhere though.
Report irishone January 21, 2018 11:25 PM GMT
greened on holowhraphic was 33\1 on here before last run, not confident at all, probably go for ntd s now, not cos i was impressed by its runs , just know ntd will have it ready and it lives up the road , shirley  got to place anyways
Report DontBeSakhee January 22, 2018 10:35 PM GMT
A race that has been generally unkind to me down the years. Moonracer the only CB winner for me.

Have thrown a few pennies at Thebannerkingrebel who won well at Warwick, but being from an unfashionable stable is available at 40/1.

The others I like, but haven't backed (yet) would be Didtheyleaveyououtto and Good Boy Bobby. It's suicidal backing GB horses in this, but just can't find an Irish one I like, bar a couple of the Gigg horses, who almost certainly won't run!
Report unclepuncle February 1, 2018 11:33 AM GMT
Mouth watering bumper at Leopardstown on Saturday.

The good ones don't usually take each other on before Cheltenham, which in a way is what makes it one of the best races of the Festival (imo).
Clearly an impressive winner on Saturday will become a firm favourite for Cheltenham.

While I put up Brace Yourself further up the thread his win hasn't worked out that well. Will be fascinating to see how the market goes.
Report Desmond Orchard February 1, 2018 12:06 PM GMT
I love this race too.
I was also very taken by TBKR at Warwick, he could hardly have done it more impressively. I immediately stuck a few pennies up at 75 on here and got matched a week later. I've also stuck him in my retirement Yankee at 40/1.
Having watched his debut, all I could think was that I'd hate to have missed another Cue Card! No doubt he will get balloted out Laugh
Report DontBeSakhee February 1, 2018 10:31 PM GMT
Lol.

Cue Card in the CB was a farce for me. Our racing crew split that day. I went to Huntingdon with a couple, while the rest went to the pub. One of the pub goers really fancied CC, but only told one of the Huntingdon goers. He forgot to tell us and so none of us backed it.

Meanwhile in the pub they'd been drinking  £1.50 pints of Guinness it was St Patrick's day) and had got so drunk the person who fancied forgot to put his bet on.

Meanwhile I was given a red hot tip in the Huntingdon bumper and so backed heavily on that, not backing a horse I'd picked out that morning called Theredballoon. That promptly hosed up at 100/1.

It was 10 minutes of utter farce that still burns now!
Report unclepuncle February 2, 2018 1:39 PM GMT
Very surprised by the early betting on the Leopardstown bumper. Looked a very competitive race to me but they have a hot favourite in Rapid Escape @ 5/4 with Blackbow @ 3/1.
Was expecting them to be about 11/4 joint favs myself with a few others between 5/1-10/1. I might even lay the fav if he is around Evens on the exchnage.

Expected Brace Yourself to be about 5/1'ish so will defintiley be having a bet at more than double that.
Report unclepuncle February 2, 2018 1:43 PM GMT
And Dunvegan doesn't have much to find with the favourite (who had the benefit of experience when they met in November). He also looks a fair e/w price at 12/1 though his front running style may make him a sitting duck.
Report unclepuncle February 3, 2018 11:01 AM GMT
Market is now exactly as I predicted.
Whoever came up with those opening shows for some of the bookies yesterday need firing.
Report RozelKid February 4, 2018 8:36 PM GMT
Does anyone have any opinions on some of these Fergal O'Brien entries?

Mercy Mercy Me
Herecomestheboom
Strong Glance
Time To Move On
Report DontBeSakhee February 4, 2018 10:15 PM GMT
Des - TBKR entered up for a Bumper on Friday at Bangor.

Rozel - Personally I'd steer clear of Boom and SG. Doubt they'd turn the form round with Didtheyleaveyououtto. Also horses that weren't first or second last time out in the CB are a no no.

The other two do bear closer inspection.

'Mercy' won quite well and second in his bumper (Classic Ben) has gone out and won twice since. Owned by Malcom Denmark, owns some good horses.

'Time to Move On' won very well and by a good margin (10 lengths) and fifth has won since. Owned by the Rooneys so owners who want to do well and will pay for good horses.

I don't think I'll back any of them personally, but wouldn't put anyone off backing those last two.
Report RozelKid February 5, 2018 8:00 PM GMT
Thanks Sakhee for your opinions.

I really like Mercy Mercy Me out of all of them.

I like the way he picked up Classic Ben off a quick pace and then went away whilst at the end whilst also looking a bit green.

OBrien & Denmark have Mercy entered in that Listen Bumper at Newbury this Saturday  https://www.racingpost.com/racecards/36/newbury/2018-02-10/692537 - they actually have 3 entered .
Report Mystic Wind February 6, 2018 8:27 AM GMT
Well I like Time To Move On! Won nicely in a decent time at Exeter and entered there again this Saturday. Good-looking half-brother to the connections' Barney Dwan.

PUBLIC WEALTH WARNING : I have a poor record in the Bumper. Caveat emptor.

0.5pts Time To Move On @ 16/1 NRNB
Report jakeybeany89 February 6, 2018 10:55 AM GMT
when asked o'brien said biggest disappointment of the season so far was Herecomestheboom getting beaten at Ascot, the form of is bumper win is not working out to badly with Ainchea showing some smart form already over hurdles
Report irishone February 6, 2018 1:42 PM GMT

Feb 1, 2018 -- 4:31PM, DontBeSakhee wrote:

Lol.Cue Card in the CB was a farce for me. Our racing crew split that day. I went to Huntingdon with a couple, while the rest went to the pub. One of the pub goers really fancied CC, but only told one of the Huntingdon goers. He forgot to tell us and so none of us backed it.Meanwhile in the pub they'd been drinking  £1.50 pints of Guinness it was St Patrick's day) and had got so drunk the person who fancied forgot to put his bet on.Meanwhile I was given a red hot tip in the Huntingdon bumper and so backed heavily on that, not backing a horse I'd picked out that morning called Theredballoon. That promptly hosed up at 100/1.It was 10 minutes of utter farce that still burns now!

when cue card trotted up at 40's you could hear a pin drop

Report Quevega06 February 6, 2018 3:52 PM GMT
Anyone heard anything about Mags Mullins horse - Downtown Gateway. Really impressive at Fairyhouse and Pipe bought the second who won the other week.
Report Can't Catch Me February 6, 2018 4:51 PM GMT
He was bought for an astronomical fee and sent to Henderson Quevega.

This was on his Unibet Blog the weekend before last:

Any chance we will see DOWNTOWN GETAWAY and LUST FOR GLORY any time soon? Have they both pleased you?

Yes, they have both pleased me and will be working tomorrow (Saturday) morning when we’ll learn a lot more about them. Lust For Glory is quite well forward and I have the Mares’ Bumper at Aintree in the back of my mind for her as she’s quite smart. Dowtown Getaway is coming along nicely too and will also probably start off in bumpers. They’re very nice prospects.
Report Can't Catch Me February 6, 2018 4:52 PM GMT
Sounds like Cheltenham might come quite soon to me... as Id be surprised if NJH were to run an expensive purchase in it on only its second run max.
Report Deptford February 6, 2018 5:59 PM GMT
Ascot race which Didtheleaveyou looked a very good race beforehand, was very impressed with this one
Report Quevega06 February 6, 2018 8:24 PM GMT
Cheers Can't Catch Me,great to know. Yes I think you might be right but if it was to run it would be a serious contender
Report Quevega06 February 6, 2018 8:24 PM GMT
Deptford I would be willing to give Bullionaire another chance in a faster run race.
Report RozelKid February 7, 2018 3:10 AM GMT
I have a story about Cue Card when winning the Bumper at 40/1 - Colin Tizzard spilt the beans the night before ...does anyone remember that?
Report maam8mandingo February 7, 2018 1:03 PM GMT
Herecomestheboom to bounce back vs the Irish Brigade!
Report irishone February 7, 2018 2:04 PM GMT
deptford i got severe reservations about the trainer , but jees that horse is different gravy
Report Cash Is King February 7, 2018 2:53 PM GMT
It looks as if the British contingent will be led by Didtheyleaveuoutto and I agree with others that have posted that the Ascot bumper that he won is the best bumper run in Britain to date (although Newbury's upcoming listed bumper is always a decent contest and this year's race is shaping up nicely). That said, I wouldn't trust Nick Gifford to post a letter so that dampens my enthusiasm for his ability to train a Cheltenham Festival winner.

The only other serious contenders are Acey Milan, Crooks Peak, Good Boy Bobby and Time To Move On (with Bullionaire likely to be aimed for a repeat win of the Goffs UK Spring Sales Bumper at Newbury in late March).

It'll be interesting to see how Acey Milan gets on in the listed bumper this weekend in light of Anthony Honeyball's comments after his win at Cheltenham on 1st January: "Acey Milan surprised us with how much he had come on for his first bumper when he rattled home at Wincanton, and he's showed gears and he's showed stamina. He's a handy horse and we'll make the most of him in bumpers. I think we can go to the Newbury Listed bumper against older horses and if he were to win there we could put him away or have a month before Cheltenham".
Report Ramruma February 7, 2018 3:05 PM GMT
Just for fun (at this stage) I checked the RPRs (Racing Post Ratings) for bumper horses and the top four are the first four home on Saturday at the Dublin Racing Festival.

Blackbow 142
Rhinestone 140
Minella Encore 136
Brace Yourself 132

(There are a couple of others also on 132, including Hollowgraphic.)

This leaves Blackbow a stone clear of the first British-trained bumper horse (not yet committed to Cheltenham) who is Good Boy Bobby on 128. Didtheyleaveuoutto is on 124.
Report DontBeSakhee February 9, 2018 5:09 PM GMT
Thebannerkingrebel hoses up again. Far cry from the best form on offer in Ireland, but hopefully will run and put in a decent showing. Either way, it won't be 40/1 again for the CB.

Happy with that.
Report Ramruma February 10, 2018 8:38 AM GMT
Thebannerkingrebel has hosed up because he is running in Mickey Mouse class 5 races at gaff tracks where he has picked up less than £5,000 in prize money after two wins. Obviously we do not yet know what the official handicapper will make of yesterday's race but I'd be concerned Thebannerkingrebel would be balloted out (assuming he will be entered in the first place) unless he takes on some decent opposition in the next couple of weeks.
Report Desmond Orchard February 10, 2018 11:36 AM GMT
That’s a little unfair Ramruna. There aren’t the number of quality bumpers in the UK that they have in Ireland and ‘only’ winning low class bumpers didn’t stop Cheltenham or Cue Card from following up.
We are talking about a horse that people have north of 40s on here - not a 5/2 jolly. They’ve very right to be pleased with the way things are going, although the balloting out potential would be a concern.
Report Mystic Wind February 10, 2018 1:01 PM GMT
We should know a bit more about the British challenge after today's Listed race at Newbury. The expensive Brewin'Upastorm is interesting but I think the market may have over-reacted to the collateral form involving Portrush Ted and I would not at all be surprised to see Nestor Park running a big race at a big price today. He looks a galloping sort with a roundy action, so more rain shouldn't bother him; I've backed him e/w for today's race.

As far as Cheltenham is concerned, I'm hoping Time To Move On enhances his credentials with a good win tomorrow.
Report DontBeSakhee February 10, 2018 4:12 PM GMT
Ram - TBKR is a bit of fun. One of those 'find an AP horse at a massive price and see how it goes' kind of bets.

I very much doubt he'll win the CB, were he to run, as outlined above, in that his form is miles off the Irish.

Briar Hill had only won just shy of €5000, beating a measly 4 rivals at Thurles, of which only one ever went on to win a race, before winning the CB.

The great thing about the CB is you just never know, as there is very little form to go on.

Think it's a bit disrespectful to say Warwick is a gaff track mind! Watched the future winner of the Grand National win the Classic Chase at Warwick last year! The Kingmaker attracts good horses as well.
Report Ramruma February 10, 2018 4:28 PM GMT
So far the top British bumper horse is Good Boy Bobby -- 16/1 for the Festival. We'll know more in 15 minutes after the Newbury Listed bumper.
Report DontBeSakhee February 10, 2018 4:34 PM GMT
I backed him last night at 4/1 for today (gonna have a R4 applied) and just added Good Boy Bobby at 14 NRNB for the CB.
Report Ramruma February 10, 2018 4:51 PM GMT
GBB only third behind Acey Milan.
Report DontBeSakhee February 10, 2018 4:54 PM GMT
Yep, won't be winning the CB. Nothing for TBKR to worry about there! Laugh
Report RozelKid February 10, 2018 5:18 PM GMT
Interesting race at Newbury there - make you wonder how good the Christian Williams horse "Volcano" actually is.

On the 16th January Ollie Murphy said that Brewinupastorm was the best horse he has got in his yard ..wonder if he still thinks that after being hammered by almost 14 lengths.Confused
Report Catch Me ifyoucan February 10, 2018 5:18 PM GMT
CARE TO PICK YOUR TOP THREE:-

Blackbow
Hollowgraphic
Didtheyleaveuoutto
Rhinestone
Colreevy
Acey Milan
Time To Move On
Carefully Selected
Downtown Getaway
Stay Humble
Good Boy Bobby
Brewinupastorm
Mercy Mercy Me
Clinton Hill
Thebannerkingrebel
Crooks Peak
Danny Kirwan
Dorrells Pierji
Empreinte Reconce
Herecomestheboom
Report RozelKid February 10, 2018 5:19 PM GMT
is that an official list of entries CMIYC?
Report RozelKid February 10, 2018 5:34 PM GMT
I have to stick with initial thoughts - Mercy Mercy Me at 33/1  looks to have a big shout in a fast run Champion Bumper.
Report DontBeSakhee February 10, 2018 5:35 PM GMT
CCM:

I'd go:
Carefully Selected (seems to be under the radar for some reason looking at its price)
Blackbow
Didtheyleaveuoutto.
Report Cash Is King February 11, 2018 10:15 PM GMT
Further to my post of 7th February, one can now strike a line through Good Boy Bobby (not good enough), Time To Move On (won well enough at Exeter earlier today but beat nothing and looks too green to win a Grade 1 Festival bumper) and probably also the impressive winner of yesterday's Listed bumper at Newbury, Acey Milan (given an unduly hard race by Brian Hughes and connections must be sorely tempted to wait for Aintree to give the horse more time to recover from his exertions and the poor ride he was given).
Report Cash Is King February 11, 2018 10:19 PM GMT
I'm not sure I'd want to attach too much weight to RPRs in the bumper (or any of the novice championships) given the rate of improvement some horses are capable of showing at this formative stage of their careers.
Report muzza88 February 13, 2018 10:40 AM GMT
Anyone got any update on hollowgraphic?
Last update was it was due to run in the leopardstown bumper..have heard rumours of injury and slight drift to 8/1 on here..
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now