Forums

Cheltenham Festival

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
firstimevisor
27 Oct 17 23:01
| Topic/replies: 1,094 | Blogger: firstimevisor's blog
There's very little news about him other than he's fully recovered from his injury and back in full training.

Last year I thought they just might run him in the King George. It didn't happen but he was left in until final decs and WPM did say he briefly considered running.

This time I'm convinced he'll run in the KG. He's going to be stepped up in trip sooner or later and to me the King George  looks the obvious race for it. Would love to see it happen.
Share |
Show More
Report impossible123 February 16, 2018 4:21 PM GMT
After today Douvan is unlikely to be Cheltenham bound, in  my opinion, regardless of what connections have reportedly said; betting antepost on horses from this stable must be 'nrnb' only otherwise the poorhouse beckons for sure.

Total Recall for the Gold Cup, another red herring in aid of the bookies perhaps. The horse did not even run in any of the Gold Cup trials eg John Durkan, Lexus or Kinloch Brae, how absurd!
Report maelduin February 16, 2018 4:36 PM GMT
Total Recall is a 9 year old so not really adsurd to run him in the GC. Sure an unorthodox race last time out but he did win the Hennessy. All told this isn't a vintage GC and he deserves to take his chance. imo
Report impossible123 February 16, 2018 5:50 PM GMT
True, but Total Recall (TR) was receiving 14lbs from Whisper to win a neck; Might Bite beat the same horse by 2l on level weight. For a trainer to deny Vautour a run in the Gold Cup (GC) despite horse's credentials but commit Total Recall (a handicapper) so early for the GC this year is bizarre, in my opinion.
Report GAZO February 16, 2018 6:02 PM GMT
Doesn't the owner have a say
Report unclepuncle February 16, 2018 6:37 PM GMT
The only person talking out of their arse is you I123.

Slag Mullins off constantly saying he is a lying snake yet you are only too happy to tell us all how you have 5/1 on Footpad or have had a sneaky bet on Yorkhill for the CH.

Utterly two faced.Angry
Report eric_morris February 16, 2018 9:51 PM GMT
i
Report eric_morris February 16, 2018 9:52 PM GMT
Ignore the stable, the trainers chase record in the championship chase races is pathetic so not too much to worry about if they do run.
Report eric_morris February 16, 2018 9:57 PM GMT
Also good news Walsh is back from injury trying his best not to tell us anything while taking the pundits cash.
Report Fashion Fever February 16, 2018 9:59 PM GMT
where does this leave min ?

can't believe they would both run in the QM

surely goes against everything this stable has done in the last 5 years
Report eric_morris February 16, 2018 10:01 PM GMT
Oh well someone had to take it seriously.
Report buddeliea February 17, 2018 7:36 AM GMT
Min will run in the Champion Chase.
Report Desmond Orchard February 17, 2018 10:42 AM GMT
Eric has a point, WPMs record in the championship  Cheltenham festival chases is noticeably poor when set against his overall performance at the festivals. I suppose there’s only 3 a year however (if we are counting the Ryanair) and it could just be a too small a sample to draw conclusions from and he will redress the balance in time.
Or it could be that he gets the best out of the very top ones early in their career, leaving little improvement (Yorkhill); or even leaving them susceptible to injury (Douvan); or maybe he’s just been unlucky (Vautour).
They used to say that Pipe only got one good season out of horse, as his methods were so taxing.
It will be interesting to see if we can say the same about WPM in another 5 years.
Report eric_morris February 17, 2018 12:02 PM GMT
Cant get them jumping well enough for Championship pace over fences and bad decisions (Vautour best chance of Gold Cup winner ran in lower standard Ryanair).

Mikhael D'Haguenet a prime example brilliant hurdler couldnt get him jumping for toffee. Happens over again could be they also buy potential top class hurdlers hoping they will turn out to be top chasers rather than looking at chasing types who might not be the best hurdlers.
Report unclepuncle February 20, 2018 10:28 AM GMT
Well Mullins undoubtedly should have won a Gold Cup in the Stewards room even it would have been with an outsider.

They always talked about Douvan as being a future King George / Gold Cup horse (similar to Vautour) so I don't see any reason why he couldn't run in the Ryanair if he was well - though I doubt he'll run at all.

Min only has one option and thats the Champion Chase.
Report Arklearkle February 20, 2018 1:05 PM GMT
A couple of years back it was great to come on the Cheltenham threads and get away from the mainly cr@p delivered on the main racing thread. However now it seems we are being treated to the same childish rubbish over and over again on here.
Report impossible123 February 27, 2018 2:59 PM GMT
I believe I read somewhere today BetVic*** are offering 2/1 against Douvan making the Cheltenham journey. They could be correct given there is no movement for Min in the Ryanair or Champion Hurdle either.

Douvan could wait for Aintree or Punchestown.
Report unclepuncle February 27, 2018 3:15 PM GMT
God you are a colossal arse.

Min will run in the QM whatever happens with Douvan.
Report duffy February 27, 2018 3:26 PM GMT
that's what he's saying
Report Desmond Orchard February 27, 2018 3:28 PM GMT
No, he's saying that Douvan probably not making the trip as there's no movement for Min in the other markets (he assumes Min would be re-routed if Douvan came over).
As usual he's arrived at the right conclusion by the wrong route.
Report ACStafford February 27, 2018 3:35 PM GMT
2/1 seems on the short side. A statement will be released during final declarations for Wednesday stating that it's a bit too much to ask on his first run for a year, or something to that effect.
Report duffy February 27, 2018 3:45 PM GMT
Yes, I mean that he means Douvan isn't coming over...anyway, the feeling from the open day was that they are very relaxed/happy with Douvan's progress which is an improvement from the vibes being given off over the recent past.
Report impossible123 March 10, 2018 8:47 PM GMT
None of the Betfair Cheltenham Preview Panel think Douvan will be declared for Cheltenham esp if the ground is very soft/heavy.
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y March 11, 2018 10:01 AM GMT
Ryanair Shocked wtf
Report resner not lesnar March 11, 2018 10:01 AM GMT
Running in the Ryanair
Report resner not lesnar March 11, 2018 10:04 AM GMT
How long until the Un De Sceaux in Champion Chase announcement
Report wellchief March 11, 2018 10:15 AM GMT
If Un De Sceaux remains in the Ryanair I'd still fully expect him to beat Douvan
Report irishone March 11, 2018 10:21 AM GMT
anyone else think the old course fences are harder than the new course.
douvan hurdles the chase fences thrashing through the birch about a foot beneath the top of the fence
really hoping willies gamble comes off here but im not going to be backing prpbably the greatest horse i have seen jump the cheltenham fences on the new course
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y March 11, 2018 10:22 AM GMT
RP now saying he does not definitely go for Ryanair, it's only being considered

as usual the Racing Post are a bunch of useless ****s
Report eric_morris March 11, 2018 12:45 PM GMT
Racing Post are costing punters a fortune without questioning bookmaker owned horses due to their funding by them.
Report eric_morris March 11, 2018 1:31 PM GMT
A lot of switch info late on is deliberate imo to generate talking points on the Festival and sell sell sell for the bookies. Note it is being done by a bookmaker owner of horses in the main.
Report firstimevisor March 11, 2018 1:40 PM GMT
Its hardly the biggest surprise if he runs in the Ryanair. He hasn't run for a year and the Ryanair is less competitive.The owner already has Min for the QM and Ruby has obviously chosen him ahead of Douvan.
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y March 11, 2018 1:43 PM GMT
Surely Ruby will choose Un De Sceaux the reigning champion over a horse who has not ran in a year and is running on heavy over a trip 4f than he has ever gone before

I still don't think Douvan will run at Cheltenham myself but if he does run it should be on the Wednesday
Report firstimevisor March 11, 2018 1:56 PM GMT
Ruby is a cert to ride UDS.

The fact is all the Mullins chasers have so far stood their ground and made it to Cheltenham in one piece, so therefore he has more options and is in a position to give Douvan the slightly easier option.
Report sageform March 11, 2018 2:10 PM GMT
For as long as I can remember horses have been doubly declared for all sorts of reasons. Unless they have changed the rules, connections are not obliged to decide until 10.00 on the morning of declaration.
Report Gordon63 March 11, 2018 4:13 PM GMT
yes rules changed - can only declare for one race at the festival - trainers used to keep multiple entries in case one fell early on - however with the 48hr decs, this has been scrapped, all for the far east betting markets i believe
Report Storm Alert March 11, 2018 4:41 PM GMT
Thx for clarification, so if declared for Queen Mum tomorrow then we know Douvan isn't going for Ryanair, if he isn't declared then he might go for Ryanair.  I've had a saver on at 3/1 nrnb to try an protect my UDS position as I'm guessing he will run in the Ryanair and that Ruby Walsh will stick with UDS.  If UDS switches to the Champion Chase I think that would be it for me and ante-post betting.
Report duffy March 11, 2018 4:55 PM GMT
They'd be switching because Ricci when it's come to it can't stand having the two in the same race, they must think he can't beat Min so why waste a bullet the extra distance might help him in the Ryanair that is cutting up somewhat.

Don't see it as having any bearing on UDS one bit who must run in the Ryanair.
Report maelduin March 11, 2018 5:02 PM GMT
I thought the Grade 1 non-novice races were exempt from this one race rule? At least that's how i read it. Anyone?
Report buddeliea March 11, 2018 8:41 PM GMT
I would imagine with the going as its likely to be,that the owners of UDS will be thinking about the Queen Mother,as they said after his race in Ireland when interviewed.
He must have a massive chance in a soft ground(maybe even heavy)Queen Mother.
Report equine flew March 11, 2018 8:45 PM GMT
UDS a standout 11/1 with b365 NRNB.  Similar bet to nothing as Samcro was
Report impossible123 March 12, 2018 9:32 AM GMT
The ground is heavy, surely this one-time beast will not be declared for the Ryanair t 10am today. A dis-service to the horse if connections do.Hope he is not.
Report ACStafford March 12, 2018 9:42 AM GMT
Ryanair decs are tomorrow.
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y March 12, 2018 9:52 AM GMT
Shocked Willie Mullins bingo!
Report impossible123 March 12, 2018 9:57 AM GMT
Sorry, I'm so ahead of time.
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y March 12, 2018 10:05 AM GMT
Champion Chase, Ruby rides
Report sc1883 March 12, 2018 10:07 AM GMT
Id still back at short odds that Douvan is withdrawn on Wednesday morning!!!
Report impossible123 March 12, 2018 10:14 AM GMT
Let's hope this is the precedent for future Mullins/Ricci charges running in the same race. With the ground presently heavy and little prospect of improving by thursday the Ryanair is not an advantageous alternative either.

No late withdrawal please, Mullins/Ricci.
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y March 12, 2018 10:14 AM GMT
The market on here from 9.45-10.00 said it all
Report impossible123 March 12, 2018 10:31 AM GMT
Walsh riding is another surprise on top of the will he, won't he conundrum.
Report Pleasegivemeanailedontip March 12, 2018 10:34 AM GMT
So why did Mullins say he was going in the ryanair on sunday?
Report firstimevisor March 12, 2018 10:44 AM GMT
He said he was seriously considering the Ryanair but emphasised that nothing was decided yet
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y March 12, 2018 10:45 AM GMT
Even money Altior, holy fkin jesus Shocked
Report RozelKid March 12, 2018 10:47 AM GMT
out of interest , what did Douvan drift to on here in the last few days ?
Report ReaseHeath March 12, 2018 10:48 AM GMT
Douvan could still run in the Ryanair, right? It's a non-novice Grade 1 so they could declare him tomorrow morning, switch Ruby to Min and withdraw him from the Queen Mother.

I'm not saying that will happen but the rules allow them to do so if they want to.
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y March 12, 2018 10:49 AM GMT
was matched at 50 for definite yesterday when it was announced, was plenty between 20 and 40 all day yesterday.

About 9.45 somebody took everything down to around 8 and it stayed between 8-10 until suspended about 10.03
Report impossible123 March 12, 2018 10:49 AM GMT
I'd seen 50 and 60.
Report SEATHESTARS....NO1 March 12, 2018 10:52 AM GMT
Last price matched according to the graph is 28 Crazy
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y March 12, 2018 10:54 AM GMT
that could have been when I was posting on here that the market was still open after 10am
Report RozelKid March 12, 2018 10:59 AM GMT
dangers of laying the ricci/mullins bullshit machine
Report impossible123 March 12, 2018 11:03 AM GMT
The deciding reason for running Douvan in the Champion Chase (CC), according to Mullins, was because Walsh would rather ride Douvan here than the Ryanair. As a result I might infer Walsh would rather ride a winner eg UDS in the Ryanair than two losers in Min (CC) and Douvan (Ryanair).

I might also infer Walsh is 1st jockey to Ricci.
Report Fistfulofdollars March 12, 2018 11:11 AM GMT
If you were foolish enough to buy last weekend's weekender and trawl through the enlightening mullins' four pages of preview for all his runners, most of it is waste of print, (ie for his handicappers "he'll go for the coral cup, or the county hurdle, or the martin pipe"). max Dynamite "he's on course to run in (the county) again". As with Douvan - surely you should know by now whether horses are better over 2m or 2m 5f by the time cheltenham comes round? The havoc caused by mullins and elliott (Dounikos) in their u-turn targets with ante post betting is horrendous. The fact that they cover some 20+ of the top 40 in the handicap for the coral cup, martin pipe and county makes ante post betting like cracking the da vinci code. Rant over but embellished on my memory for next year when unfortunately I'll be forced to wait for the 48 hour declarations to have any idea!
Report impossible123 March 12, 2018 11:13 AM GMT
If I understand correctly any horse declared today to run on wednesday cannot be declared to run on thursday as well eg Douvan/Monalee. If so, why are money still left on the bid for £20 and more?
Report Fistfulofdollars March 12, 2018 11:18 AM GMT
As I understand it the exemption to the rule is the group 1 races..
Report unclepuncle March 12, 2018 11:22 AM GMT
Presumably the rule was brought in to stop trianers declaring top weights in handicaps in order to give their other stable runners lighter weughts, or keep others out of the handicap, and then making them a non runner.
Report impossible123 March 12, 2018 11:24 AM GMT
Really. If so, Mullins/Ricci could have another change of heart and scoop up again on bargain prices here if Douvan goes for the Ryanair (eventually).
Report ReaseHeath March 12, 2018 11:43 AM GMT

Mar 12, 2018 -- 12:18PM, Fistfulofdollars wrote:

As I understand it the exemption to the rule is the group 1 races..

I think it's Grade 1 non-novice races actually - so Douvan could be declared for Ryanair tomorrow but Monalee can't be declared for JLT.

Perhaps someone could confirm?

Report impossible123 March 12, 2018 11:43 AM GMT
There are still takers for him in the Ryanair despite today's announcement. Bizarre or shrewd?
Report Fistfulofdollars March 12, 2018 11:47 AM GMT
Apologies Reaseheath..still had my flat head on Crazy. Here's the rules link
https://www.britishhorseracing.com/press_releases/cheltenham-festival-moves-48-hour-declarations/

48 hour single race rule except:

This applies to all races except the six non-novice Grade 1 contests: Stan James Champion Hurdle, OLBG Mares’ Hurdle (Grade 1) (Registered As The David Nicholson Mares’ Hurdle), Betway Queen Mother Champion Chase, Ryanair Chase, Sunbets Stayers’ Hurdle and the Timico Cheltenham Gold Cup.
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y March 12, 2018 11:50 AM GMT
Confused somebody would want to tell betfair to remove Monalee from the JLT then
Report ReaseHeath March 12, 2018 1:01 PM GMT
thanks Fist
Report sageform March 12, 2018 1:33 PM GMT
Is it also against the rules to run 2 days running?
Report maelduin March 12, 2018 1:36 PM GMT
No rule stating you can't run consecutive days.
Report maelduin March 12, 2018 1:38 PM GMT
I think it's Grade 1 non-novice races actually - so Douvan could be declared for Ryanair tomorrow but Monalee can't be declared for JLT.

Exactly.
Report impossible123 March 12, 2018 2:13 PM GMT
Matched at 16.5 for the Ryanair.
Report Pleasegivemeanailedontip March 12, 2018 3:31 PM GMT
Id say non runner more likely for douvan now then

4/5 non runner
5/4 ryanair
1,000,000/1 champion chase
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y March 13, 2018 10:11 AM GMT
left in Ryanair
Report impossible123 March 13, 2018 1:28 PM GMT
But owner is adamant he'll run tomorrow!
Report sageform March 14, 2018 1:05 PM GMT
Might fall at the first or be pulled up after a mile sharpener for tomorrow. All things are possible.
Report duffy March 14, 2018 2:26 PM GMT
needs a new jockey now
Report sageform March 14, 2018 3:49 PM GMT
That will have set him up perfectly for tomorrow.
Report duffy March 14, 2018 3:54 PM GMT
Mullins saying that he felt like the Douvan of old just adds to the frustration that we were robbed of the race we wanted.
Report Jack Bauer '24' March 14, 2018 4:07 PM GMT
If they knew he was back to his best he was always going to go for the Champion Chase in my view. Min is not good enough to beat Altior.
Report sageform March 14, 2018 4:31 PM GMT
Has he been declared a non runner yet for the Ryanair?
Report duffy March 14, 2018 4:47 PM GMT
I think it would be a stretch to run him again after a fall the previous day. Mullins said he felt liked the old Douvan, take encouragement from that and take him home and come back to take Altior on again on another day.
Report vinnie_roe March 14, 2018 4:49 PM GMT
It would have been a different race if douvan had stayed up. Too many in contention going down the hill. I'm sure mullins tactics were too stretch them midway through the race.
Report buddeliea March 14, 2018 5:03 PM GMT
you will never know.
Judging on the way Altior finished that race i know what i think.
Report Jack Bauer '24' March 14, 2018 5:08 PM GMT
Min would have been beaten even further by Altior if Douvan had not fallen. Whether Douvan would have given him a race or even won, we will never know.
Report impossible123 March 14, 2018 5:18 PM GMT
One cannot know for sure if there would be a different winner had Douvan not tipped-up 4 out. But Altior, despite running in snatches, only jumped to the front after the last and won by an easy 7l from Min; Altior hated the ground.

I do not think Altior will be Punchestown festival bound nevertheless, should they meet in the Tingle Creek my money will always be on Altior again if the field comprises Footpad and Min too, all things being equal.
Report Jack Bauer '24' March 14, 2018 5:22 PM GMT
I don't see why they wouldn't go to Punchestown when he has only had two runs this season.
Report impossible123 March 14, 2018 5:47 PM GMT
Money queueing up to back him in the Ryanair tomorrow. I'm astounded.
Report unclepuncle March 14, 2018 6:07 PM GMT
He won 't run tomorrow ffs.Cry
Report unclepuncle March 14, 2018 6:07 PM GMT
He won 't run tomorrow ffs.Cry
Report ReaseHeath March 14, 2018 6:57 PM GMT
I reckon Altior will go to Sandown for the Celebration Chase just as he did last year as a novice.

Interesting that Mullins acknowledged Douvan has not schooled over fences all year when asked by Lydia Hislop yesterday (though he jumped well  until the fall).

Assuming all is well with Douvan it probably suits both parties for Altior to go to Sandown and Douvan to Punchestown - hope I'm wrong though...
Report Jack Bauer '24' March 14, 2018 7:12 PM GMT
No real racing fan wants to see them avoid each other. Lets hope they can get Douvan back to his best and we can all see the big clash we have been waiting for.
Report buddeliea March 14, 2018 9:02 PM GMT
Next March....hopefully.
Report sixtwosix March 14, 2018 9:53 PM GMT
Long way out and there must be a doubt he would have lasted but.....he was very impressive and had Altior looking like a very average horse.

Mind Venn Ottery came down the hill looking like Pegasus.
Report SEATHESTARS....NO1 March 14, 2018 10:41 PM GMT
On Twitter now douvan won't run 1 hour ago via Chapman yeehhaaww thingy me guy
Report buddeliea March 15, 2018 6:08 AM GMT
They all had Altior looking like an average horse at various stages!!
That is until he decided to stop moaning about the ground and show his class.
Report naraic March 15, 2018 8:25 AM GMT
Is Douvan definitely running today?
Report sageform March 15, 2018 11:53 AM GMT
Down as a non runner now.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now