Forums

Cheltenham Festival

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There are currently 3 people viewing this thread.
rl91
17 Apr 17 19:19
| Topic/replies: 107 | Blogger: rl91's blog
Another impressive bumper win today at Fairyhouse

Trying to figure out where he goes but hopefully he will be double digits for the any race market when they become available, I imagine he and blow by blow will be kept apart in either a Supreme/Neptune or Neptune/Albert Bartlett combination
Share |
Show More
Report unclepuncle March 15, 2018 3:30 PM GMT
He wasn't breathtaking but he went the long way roud all the way and arguably kicked too soon - presuambly they were so confident he would win they thought the only way he could get beat was if he were brought down or unsighted at a hurdle so they took that out of the equation.

I'd mark him up a few lengths and reckon a Gold Cup on normal going should be fine for him in a couple of years.
Hopefully he goes the RSA route next year.
Report impossible123 March 15, 2018 6:21 PM GMT
I do not think his stamina was ebbing away at the end. Also, I think he'll be aimed at the RSA but will need to prove he stays that trip prior otherwise the Champion Hurdle or the JLT, the former more likely given the prestige.
Report easygold March 17, 2018 2:39 PM GMT
Champion Hurdle next year imo.
Report unclepuncle March 17, 2018 3:01 PM GMT
8/1 for the RSA with Billies?Shocked
Report FOYLESWAR March 18, 2018 11:47 AM GMT
given its gigginstown  cant see it being champion hurdle ,straight over fences next season rsa seems logical !
Report buddeliea March 18, 2018 12:32 PM GMT
Dont think he will be stepped up until following season.
Arkle would be my guess,or JLT maybe depending on ground.
Report buddeliea March 18, 2018 12:35 PM GMT
Meant to add....if he is stepped up.
My gut feeling at this early stage is hes a non stayer at Gold Cup distance.
Think he just about stayed last week.
Report easygold March 18, 2018 3:13 PM GMT
All about opinions, imo I don`t think the horse is ready for a chasing career just yet.... could be wrong..... but if I owned him I would wait another year.
Report impossible123 March 18, 2018 3:48 PM GMT
I just cannot see him popping hurdles or fences over 2m, why? His 2m Deloitte ran was ground induced. I think he'd most likely be going over fences in the JLT as he ran in the Neptune and not the Albert Bartlett unlike No More Heroes. Whether he'd be a contender for the Gold Cup the year after will hinge on that performance eg easy and stylish win in the JLT the Gold Cup will be more likely, I believe.
Report Jack Bauer '24' March 18, 2018 7:51 PM GMT
He's too good to be running in the JLT. I don't believe he was running out of stamina at all and would make him hot favourite for the RSA. He would probably win the Arkle too as he has so much natural pace.
Report equine flew March 19, 2018 8:44 AM GMT
I cannot see the Champion Hurdle being an option, especially with these connections.   Not the most fashionable but I really think the JLT will be the perfect race for him
Report easygold March 19, 2018 9:16 PM GMT
Many people analyse racing different as this thread showed a long time ago. When is there value for example. Mischief you show them Sammie.
Report eric_morris March 19, 2018 11:59 PM GMT
He doesnt look an Arkle horse to me but could still be. He may be a horse who doesnt have a championship trip in him (2m, 3m2f) on quicker ground which would be a shame. Running in the 2m5f division  doesnt add you to the list of greats.
Report cufcno1 March 20, 2018 2:48 PM GMT
Samcro got the trip well enough in that horrible ground,won't have any problem staying 3 mile next year IMO!
Report Govan Spoonful March 20, 2018 4:39 PM GMT
In October I backed Samcro each-way at 6/1 on Paddy's any-race market, which sometime after my bet was adjusted to become win only. Upon going to the shop to collect my winnings, the confused assistant had to phone head office for advice and was instructed to pay out on the complete stake as a win bet. Don't get that kind of service very often, do you? It was St Patrick's Day, though!
Report impossible123 April 17, 2018 6:23 PM BST
No Buveur D'Air in the Irish Champion Hurdle and Elliot struggling to stay ahead of Mullins in the Trainers' Championship Samcro will probably line-up, according to his owner and airline boss. Does that mean connections are "confident" of beating the likes of Melon, Faugheen and Company? I'd think so. Now, what price is he for the race?
Report equine flew April 17, 2018 9:13 PM BST
Ryanair said, he wants to keep Samcro to novice company but MAY consider running in champion if Gordon needs the cash.
Report impossible123 April 18, 2018 12:13 AM BST
O'Leary: "I'd lean in favour of the novice - I think that is the race for him - but I wouldn't rule out having a pop at the Champion if Buveur D'Air (BD) does not show up and Gordon needs the help."

From the above, will BD show up? Very unlikely - it is not Hendo - and My Tent Or Yours is. If BD does not show up and Elliot needs help it would be more likely than not as it would also tell connections Samcro's most likely discipline for next season. For instance, if Samcro underperforms and/or beaten fairly (by Melon) then a campaign over hurdles would be extremely unlikely for next season, I'd have thought.

But I think Elliot would be ok for the Trainers' Championship against Mullins, and Samcro will run in the novice race.
Report unclepuncle April 18, 2018 5:34 PM BST
The Irish Champion Hurdle is run at Leopardstown and was won by Supasundae. ****Angry
Report impossible123 April 27, 2018 8:36 PM BST
Which race will connections go with him next season? Champion Hurdle despite the slip-up today or one of the novice chase eg JlT or RSA? He was right up there with Melon when the mishap happened.
Report DECALEC May 4, 2018 2:56 AM BST
Thick skinned he must be
Report joevalue147 May 4, 2018 12:39 PM BST
No way Willie Mullins would have ran Samcro in that race whether they were chasing the trainers championship or not.
Report penny1939 May 15, 2018 4:38 PM BST
Fair play Easygold. you new all along he would win and which race he would run in, I did listen to you and took the 5/1 when told. Different gravy you are to these guessers.
Report buddeliea May 19, 2018 5:54 AM BST
We are all guessers............some we guess right, others we don't.
Report penny1939 May 22, 2018 10:21 PM BST
Hi Bud, i don`t agree with that comment at all, if you look at his comments on this Cheltenham forum for the last three years. Un De Sceaux, spot on, Tully East spot on and now Samcro spot on. I agree once but I don`t think this fellow is guessing. He knows more than most of us and is willing to share his opinion. I`m nowhere near in the same league as him but I love when he comes on.
Report firstimevisor May 24, 2018 11:13 AM BST
Lol I've seen it all now!!

What is the link between Easygold and penny1939?

Are they (A) twins
         (B) lovers
         (C) same person, pre/post transgender op
Report Quevega06 September 2, 2018 10:25 PM BST
Champion Hurdle winner 2019!!!
Report irishone September 7, 2018 11:02 PM BST
Fecking chesnut ....pains in the r s
Report foxy September 11, 2018 10:42 AM BST
HappyHappyHappyHappyExcitedExcitedExcited
Report Quevega06 September 12, 2018 9:50 PM BST
The money is coming.....
Report Quevega06 September 12, 2018 9:50 PM BST
O Yes
Report Catch Me ifyoucan September 15, 2018 8:49 PM BST
Samcro is likely to make his eagerly awaited return to action at Down Royal in early November — be it over hurdles or fences.

Elliott’s stable star lit up the novice hurdling division last season, winning his first four starts including an impressive victory in the Ballymore.
His fall three flights from home in the Punchestown Champion Hurdle muddied the waters in terms of plans for this season, with Elliott and owners Gigginstown House Stud still considering whether to keep Samcro over the smaller obstacles or pursue a career over fences this term.

Elliott told At The Races: “There’s no decision made yet, to be honest. I’ll have to talk to Michael and Eddie (O’Leary) over the next couple of weeks and make a decision on what we’re going to do. “I like to start a lot of my horses off up in Down Royal, ground permitting, and that’s where he’ll start off, over hurdles or fences.”
Report geoff m September 18, 2018 5:35 PM BST
News awaiting????
Report Magic__Daps September 22, 2018 6:47 PM BST
Last price matched 4.5 - for Champ Hurdle
Report Quevega06 September 23, 2018 8:37 PM BST
How much for though?
Report Quevega06 September 23, 2018 8:37 PM BST
Money for Melon in the Arkle also
Report irishone September 24, 2018 10:16 PM BST
Eddie is the judge
And he knows
You cant trust chestnuts
Report geoff m October 4, 2018 4:20 PM BST
someone keen to lay it@ 8.8 for a chunk
Report stan246 October 4, 2018 9:20 PM BST
^ that got matched as well didn't it? Back fine again but that would have to be a concern.
Report deepingfox October 9, 2018 11:00 PM BST
Gordy wants a crack at the Champion Hurdle, but it’s up to the boys. With a Down Royal in the offing soon, we will all know the first step soon enough. Maybe it could be over hurdles, see if he wins in a a canter, before deciding whether to stick or twist.

He is a 6yo, and if he runs in the Champion a Hurdle at 7yo, then. Novice chase career into 8yo, that would make him a 9yo when a 2nd season chaser trying for the Gold Cup. (Unless he tries the Champ H, and skips a novice chase campaign).

For me, I’d love to see him go Novice chasing this year, and being ready for the a Gold Cup, when he is an 8yo, in 18 months time.

A wonderful dilemma for the owners to have,
Report Charko1984 October 19, 2018 11:56 PM BST
What a race the champion hurdle would be with samcro, melon, laurina, buveuir dair,summerville boy, if the cap fits. Im getting a bit ahead of myself.
Report buddeliea October 20, 2018 6:52 AM BST
Be surprised if Samcro stays hurdling.
Normally they go chasing as soon as they can with these owners.
Not really known for Champion hurdlers, but they certainly are for Gold Cup types.
Report Charko1984 October 20, 2018 10:27 PM BST
Yes and I would have said he was a cert for chasing this season but gordon elliott wants him in the CH. He has had a gold cup winner with don cossack and a grand national winner with tiger roll. He wants a champion hurdle to complete the hattrick. Although the o learys may just make the decision and send him chasing. Deepingfox you make the good point that they may go CH next year and skip novice chasing the following season and go straight to the GC 2020.
Report Quevega06 October 21, 2018 7:46 PM BST
I think O'Learys mind is made up and Samcro will be going the champion hurdle route. The horse will hopefully run into one or two of Mullins animals at Down Royal in a few weeks
Report deepingfox October 22, 2018 9:43 PM BST
Charlotte, I really can’t see the owners willing to wait until Samcro is NINE before being close to a Gold Cup run, and the only way to avoid that, is to go chasing now, or if going hurdling instead, then having a “novice into Gold Cup” season all in one the following year.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan October 25, 2018 8:02 PM BST
Entry in the (Grade 1) 2m Morgiana H'dle at P/stown against Faugheen et al.....Roll on the Champion Hurdle. Devil
Report impossible123 October 29, 2018 12:08 PM GMT
Champion Hurdle bound for the 2nd coming.
Report The Dragon October 29, 2018 5:25 PM GMT
best price 3/1
Report deepingfox October 29, 2018 6:04 PM GMT
The Champion Hurdle is my fav jumps race, and has often lost out in race quality depth in recent years, as many top novice hurdles went straight over fences. This gives the 2m hurdle division a real boost, I hope the race on day 1 of the Festival is an absolute cracker.
Report irishone October 29, 2018 6:18 PM GMT
Runs friday at downroyal allegedly over two miles
Report buddeliea October 30, 2018 12:20 PM GMT
Pleasantly surprised.
Agree with deepingfox completely,a real boost,its great for the festival that we could have Samcro in the CH.
Report deepingfox October 30, 2018 1:42 PM GMT
Makes LAURINA's price massive now, so I am happy with that, as well.
Report deepingfox October 30, 2018 2:25 PM GMT
Pesky bookies haven't budged Laurina from 10's. Rather her with 7lb allowance at 10's than SAMCRO at 11/4. Pity they didn't bump her out to a bigger price yet. Maybe if Samcro wins easily on Friday he will go into 6/4 and the others will drift.
Report buddeliea October 30, 2018 3:35 PM GMT
I hope BD drifts
Report Quevega06 October 31, 2018 9:16 AM GMT
It'll be interesting to see how close Sharjah can get to The Fro on Friday
Report Quevega06 October 31, 2018 10:01 AM GMT
CRO*
Report duffy November 2, 2018 1:50 PM GMT
3 mile novice chase next?
Report duffy November 2, 2018 2:05 PM GMT
^
That was slightly tongue in cheek by the wayGrin, however you do have to wonder if he's simply got enough pace for a CH, he looks a stayer to me.
Report deepingfox November 2, 2018 2:10 PM GMT
Absolutely Duffy, I think they needed today to see of he did have the ability to be a quick 2m hurdle, and now they know he doesn't. Looked incredibly short of pace.

I've backed LAURINA & SUMMERVILLE BOY for the Champion, because they looked the better prospects to become quickeners over the 2m.

Couldnt believe SB was 25/1 for the race (& still 14/1). Saw the reason For Laurina to be 14/1, as she had other options (the 10/1 after confirmation that the Champion was her target looked huge cw Samcro) and she is now 6/1 and shortening.

They could give SAMCRO one more go, in the Hattons Grace for a definitive answer.
Report Autocue November 2, 2018 3:07 PM GMT
Just a few days after Elliot and Gigginstown announce the horse is going for the Champion Hurdle he throws custard pies in their faces. That's life. Maybe there is merit in the Mullins approach Blush
Report The Dragon November 2, 2018 3:18 PM GMT
only 5/1 now thought it wd be bigger after that
Report Autocue November 2, 2018 4:39 PM GMT
It's not usually fair to write a horse off after one run but shirley they have to write off the Champion Hurdle. Given how bullish they were earlier in the week you have to assume he was going well at home.
Report buddeliea November 2, 2018 5:27 PM GMT
Oh dear!!

Plan B......chasing? Geared up to the JLT in March??
Report cyclops November 2, 2018 5:54 PM GMT
He hasn't become a poor horse overnight, but he certainly did not look like a 2 mile hurdler. Jumped ok, but not with the slickness needed. 2 miles on good ground against good horses is surely not what he wants.

Elliott said the Morgiana comes next. If he were mine, I'd be schooling him over fences and forgetting all about hurdling. He's rising 7 and you wouldn't want to get too deep into the season and then change tack with a horse this good.

Hurdling looked a puzzling decision - it looks even stranger if they persevere on today's evidence.
Report firstimevisor November 2, 2018 7:23 PM GMT
It could be that Samcro is just another good horse but not a superstar. He was the best of the novices last year but the novices were not an exceptional bunch. His jumping was good today. In open company,hurdles or fences, its quite likely that he's not going to dominate.
Report Autocue November 2, 2018 7:48 PM GMT
Thought he was jumping a bit high tbh. Reminded me of Sizing Europe over hurdles but that horse looked quicker. It would definitely be chasing for me.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 2, 2018 9:07 PM GMT
A reminder that ELLIOTT's Apple's Jade 1/2f was beaten in this race in 2016 (by 10/1 Rashaan, with Petit Mouchoir 3rd). She was then the Punchestown Champion 4YO Hurdle Grade 1 winner under WPM/Bryan Cooper (i.e. MACHINE, and PP were 8/1 for the 2017 Champion Hurdle).
Report Quevega06 November 2, 2018 11:21 PM GMT
Jesus boys relax you all know as much as me that was a warm with bigger fish to fry. Personally I didn't think it was 2 bad giving a race fit 149 rated horse 6lbs.
Report firstimevisor November 3, 2018 12:23 AM GMT
You are right in that it wasn't a bad performance at all. Its not the horse's fault that he's the most hyped horse in years. Maybe he will prove to be a superstar some day but to do so he will have to find roughly 20 lb of improvement on what he's done so far.He's sure to come on for the run,and he will win plenty of races,but I very much doubt that he's the second coming of christ.
Report buddeliea November 3, 2018 6:03 AM GMT
I am judging on what I have seen on the racetrack,not the various quotes from people connected to the horse.
From what I have seen thus far,and it is still relatively early,i see a potential good chaser that does not have the required speed for races at 2 miles,and a horse that may struggle to stay the Gold Cup distance.
At this early stage I see his future as a chaser at around 2 and a half miles.
I certainly have not seen anything to suggest the Champion Hurdle as realistic,and yesterday was a million miles away from that.
Report cyclops November 3, 2018 9:44 AM GMT
Spot on, budd, although I might take issue on the stamina question.
Did you think he was coming to the end of his tether at Cheltenham or do you have other reasons for doubting his stamina?
Report buddeliea November 3, 2018 10:19 AM GMT
Yes mate, after the Ballymore I thought Samcro had gone as far as he wanted on the day.
Yes he may grow into a stayer,and it looks to me more likely that than a 2 miler anyway.
If he does end up a Gold Cup type,fair enough,and I hope he does,but at this stage I see in between as his optimum.
Whatever happens, I really hope he aint messed about too much,and we end up with a horse that is running in races that are right for him.
Report buddeliea November 3, 2018 10:22 AM GMT
Another thing to consider, and I see it has been mentioned on here....has he actually jumped a fence at home? and is struggling with fences??
That would certainly explain the fact they are persevering with hurdling.
Anyone know??
Report irishone November 3, 2018 8:25 PM GMT
The wheels have come off

Anyone who owns a chesnut knew the score
Contrary at the best of times
Report Quevega06 November 3, 2018 11:16 PM GMT
First time visor I agree with you that Samcro needs to improve on winning a champion hurdle but personally I don't thin
Report Quevega06 November 3, 2018 11:16 PM GMT
I think the others are on the downgrade it won't take much winning in it..
Report Quevega06 November 3, 2018 11:17 PM GMT
Laurina could still have a say also,we will find out more in two weeks time
Report buddeliea November 4, 2018 6:56 AM GMT
Buveur D'air on the downgrade???
Hes a 7 yr old,unbeaten since his novice hurdle days,and his last run was winning the Champion Hurdle!!
Think that sounds like wishful thinking.
Report buddeliea November 4, 2018 8:01 AM GMT
On Samcro, Elliott said: "I'm disappointed he didn't win but happy the horse is in one piece this morning."
When asked about fences, he replied: "No, no, we will stick the way we are going

He must think there is a heck of a lot of improvement to come!!
Report Quevega06 November 4, 2018 11:20 AM GMT
Hey Budd I think more downgrade at that trip that's my opinion harder to judge obviously because Beveur can slip around in England until Cheltenham then received a  hard race against Melon which in my eyes he should be beating relatively easy.
Report Quevega06 November 4, 2018 11:21 AM GMT
Hopefully the English horses this year could bring out further improvement in Beveur
Report HaylingBilly November 4, 2018 2:26 PM GMT
Samcro in the Arkle, along with Footpad in the QMCC, was the cornerstone of my Ante Post Acca strategy and I had some nice prices but today I have admitted defeat and cashed them all in (without loss) and now re-thinking the annual AP and Acca strategy. They seem hell bent on taking the Champion Hurdle route for this season and only time will tell if that is right or not. To my uneducated eye he does not look quick enough between hurdles nor quick enough over the hurdles to win a Champion Hurdle. They may of course be driven by the fact he hasn't been impressive over the bigger obstacles when schooled at home but we will never know. Lets not forget he fell over hurdles when under pressure for the first time. What I do know is I dont think BVD sat in his stable nor Nicky Henderson are going to be over concerned by what they have seen from him to date. Like the horse a lot and thought he would have made a great 2m Novice Chaser and then move up in distance to Gold Cup. Back to the Drawing Board but at least I still have my cash to play with. Gotta love that Cash Out option !!!!!
Report buddeliea November 4, 2018 5:04 PM GMT
Really don't see anything to suggest BD is not a good Champion Hurdler,or on the downgrade.
Hes been the best around over the last two seasons,and yes he did have a hard race to win this year,but he just showed another of his qualities.....the ability to battle up the hill on heavy ground,to go with his other obvious qualities.
He does not need to improve,hes proven the best around,and at his age its unlikely anyway.
His rivals next March,whoever they may be,they need to improve.
Maybe one or two of them will improve to the required level and beat BD,certainly on the evidence we have Melon is close to him on heavy ground,not so sure if ground is better though.
The rest are all novices so definitely need to improve,and they should do,but how much?
Report duffy November 4, 2018 7:11 PM GMT
The way I see it is this, BD is a solid reliable Champion Hurdler, he won't be looked back on as anything more than that. Solid and reliable has been enough to get the job done through the last couple of years though with other horses that could have won the race either past it, loopy or sent over fences. He doesn't possess a turn of foot rather he has outstayed a rather average bunch.

Laurina is full of promise but that is what it is at the moment "promise" my opinion is that she will step up to the plate and prove to be all class, I believe she'll have too much pace for BD and finally expose that flaw.

Summerville Boy is another strong contender after a very impressive Supreme win, to do what he did after his passage was impressive.

If those two opponents don't go on this year then the reliability of BD may again get the job done.

As it stands right now I'd be surprised if the winner came from anywhere else.
Report Can't Catch Me November 5, 2018 7:56 AM GMT
I think that’s harsh on BD myself. He’s undefeated in his last ten starts including six Grade One’s. How many horses have ever done that? For some reason he doesn’t seem to get the credit he deserves.
Report cyclops November 5, 2018 8:54 AM GMT
I think he hasn't had a lot to beat in a weak couple of seasons. Melon's record is not strong enough - yet at least - to suggest he should have got that close to Buveur. That said, until the horse is beaten, it's hard to knock him.
It would be great if he has a proper test this time around and we can then see if if he's one of the greats or was really lucky to grab a couple of below par Champions.

Going back to Samcro, another thing that bothers me is his size. Elliott said he'd strengthened a lot over the summer and he certainly looked a big horse to my eyes. Unless my memory is failing me, the only "Big horse" I remember that's won a Champion Hurdle (2 actually) was Comedy of Errors. Samcro screams chaser to look at. What are they doing?
Report firstimevisor November 5, 2018 11:44 AM GMT
The Champion Hurdle looks wide open to me at this stage. Buveur,Melon,Supersundae,Faugheen all have claims.Some of last year's novices can step up. Mullins is going to have a big say. Laurina could be anything. True Self is a rapid improver. She hosed up in 2 listed races in the last few weeks making her a proper Group horse on the flat - the latest over 10 furlongs and she's by Oscar! She will soon make a mockery of her hurdles rating of 130.

Faugheen's price,33-1,is an insult.Only one hurdler posted a mark in excess of 170 last season and it was Faugheen,and he did it twice.He's about to turn 11 which is a negative,but if they get an injury-free season with him and he's at the level he was at in November last year or April this year, then he will run in the Champion Hurdle and it will take a career best performance from the others to beat him.
Report shockster November 5, 2018 12:07 PM GMT
My thoughts on Samcro and Fridays race.

Let's just say Bedrock hadn't run.

Everyone would be lauding over Samcro beating 155 rated Sharjah 5l giving 8lb. Maybe Sharjah ran to 155, do we know he didn't?  Using that figure Samcro ran to approx 167 at the weights and within 5lb of Buveur Dair on his first run of the season!!  But maybe Sharjah ran to 150 again we don't know but this would trim Samcro to 162. We know Bedrock is on a steep upward curve based on his last 2 runs and has massively turned the form around with Sharjah.  The time was good and I can easily have him running to 160 at Down royal.

So with improvement likely after his first run does anyone seriously think the games up for Samcro?  I do think Buveur Dair is underrated but not invincible. Laurina could be anything? Summerville Boy also has potential to be a player and I would not rule Bedrock out as he's improving fast, but he may end up the other side of the Atlantic.  Other than these 5 I cannot see any other serious challengers for the Champion Hurdle.
Report buddeliea November 5, 2018 12:28 PM GMT
Agree Catch, I think it harsh as well.
It seems that last years close victory over Melon is being used as a stick to beat him with.
I look at it differently and focus on his ability to win the race on heavy ground.
I know he can go on soft,but that was softer than ideal imo, and difficult to show his speed which has helped him to gain all his victories.
Had that been normal good to soft or better I think he would have won more comfortably.
Hopefully I will be proved correct should they meet again on better ground.

Shock
Basically you are judging Samcros run through Sharjah, and as you say, we dont know what Sharjah ran up to.
I look at the visual impression and he looked to me far from a Ch Hurdle horse.
Important thing though at this stage is his connections don't seem to think the games up.
Intersting to see his next race......very interesting!!
Report shockster November 5, 2018 2:39 PM GMT
Elliot has said Samcro runs a week on Sunday in the Morgiana and as you say Bud it will be interesting.

I have a feeling though that Mullins won't run Laurina 1st time up against Samcro and Faugheen is to be kept to distances.  So likely IMO to be Melon and Supasundae as the main opposition.  If he can't win this race then I do think it's the end of the road. However, I'll be surprised with a run under his belt if he doesn't win.
Report cyclops November 5, 2018 5:02 PM GMT
"Everyone would be lauding over Samcro beating 155 rated Sharjah 5l giving 8lb"

I don't think so. The betting suggested beating them both was a formality. And Sharjah's last two runs - on the flat - have been poor so his official rating is hardly reliable at present. On RP ratings, he's only once cracked the 150 mark in 11 outings over hurdles and he's been on the go all year.

As for Bedrock, he beat the 132 rated Plinth last time out. Comfortably, yes but this is miles away from top hurdling form by any reading of the book.
Report maelduin November 5, 2018 6:04 PM GMT
I think one big reason they are staying hurdling with Samcro this season is to help GE win the trainers championship. You're talking about near 400K in win prizemoney alone and it's no secret that Gigginstown are desperate for GE to win it. There was a recent article on ATR that touched on this. Definitely has merit. imo.

Although very disappointing you have to give Samcro a chance to make amends in the Morgiana. With the unseasonably dry weather you can expect lots of classy horses, running this early in the season, to be turned over. I'm keeping the faith. GL
Report Arklearkle November 5, 2018 8:32 PM GMT
Samcro or no Samcro GE wont be winning this years championship
Report shockster November 6, 2018 10:35 AM GMT
Cyclops _ That's another way of looking at I grant you and fair enough. Handicapper has now raised Bedrock to 154 which to me seems on the cautious side but time will tell.

I still say the HYPE around Samcro would have gone through the roof if Bedrock had not been in that race though.

Looking forward to the Morgiana and still fully expect Samcro to win at level weights as I doubt Laurina will run. Looks like it will be the Punchestown race all over again with Melon and Supasundae as chief threats.
Report duffy November 6, 2018 1:43 PM GMT
Hype wouldn't have gone through the roof without Bedrock IMO because it would still have been anything but an easy victory, it was workmanlike to beat Sharjah.
Report impossible123 November 6, 2018 5:50 PM GMT
2nd coming is 11/8 for The Morgiana on 18th Nov at Punchestown, any taker?
Report buddeliea November 7, 2018 7:57 AM GMT
No thanks....awful price.
Unless Melon and /or Supasundae don't turn up.
Report impossible123 November 16, 2018 7:01 PM GMT
Will Samcro (4/5) win The Morgiana at Punchestown on sunday? No Melon, only Faugheen (2/1) and Supasundae (7/1) to beat, I think (and the ground); Faugheen is on the decline and Supasundae needs further than 2 miles to show his best.

If he runs (ground might not be soft enough) he will need to win comprehensively to be a serious contender for The Champion hurdle; a defeat will extinguish any aspiration of winning that race, I firmly believe.
Report firstimevisor November 16, 2018 9:14 PM GMT
Faugheen is on the decline and Supasundae needs further than 2 miles to show his best.

Faugheen's latest run was the best hurdles performance from any horse last year - either side of the sea.If he's in similar form on Sunday he will win comfortably.

Supasundae ran twice over 2 miles last season and won both. They were both Grade 1s. He has never won a grade 1 over a distance further than 2 miles.
Report Quevega06 November 17, 2018 8:33 PM GMT
With the money coming for Supasundae,Wicklow Brave & Sharjah I would be surprised if Samcro or Faugheen runs. Hope they do though it'll show hopefully in what position Samcro is
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now