Forums

Cheltenham Festival

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
sageform
17 Mar 17 13:28
| Topic/replies: 11,418 | Blogger: sageform's blog
Lizzie Kelly has been the only professional female riding at the Festival and her best so far was 5th. I suppose it is understandable that trainers ignore them but bear in mind that in both amateur races women have ridden the winner and Katie Walsh has a great chance of making it a clean sweep for them in  the Foxhunters.
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View Women Jockeys.
Show More
Report sageform March 17, 2017 1:53 PM GMT
I had overlooked Rachael Blackmore who is also professional and did well to finish fourth after being unseated on the way to post.
Report CheltenhamRoar March 17, 2017 9:06 PM GMT
Lizzie Kelly didn't last long in the saddle, what was with her shushing the crowd in the paddock on the way to post? It was cringey to say the least,
If the horse is highly strung then use some ear plugs!
Report Ibrahima Sonko March 17, 2017 9:15 PM GMT
Did have ear plugs, i didnt like her telling the crowd to be quiet either. She did well in Martin Pipe with her horse.
Report windsor knot March 18, 2017 10:39 PM GMT
i have championed lizzie in a thread the other week . it was not not her day but she will learn big style i'm sure . hats off to gina andrews , who presents a horse at a fence better than a lot of pros i've seen , for a fantastic ride in the kim muir .
Report Racingqueen March 18, 2017 11:24 PM GMT
Andrews and Frost gave absolutely top grade rides. Lizzie Kelly would do well to take a note from their book than blowing her own trumpet to the media....
Report sageform March 19, 2017 8:57 AM GMT
The Gold Cup was not her finest hour but a fourth and a fifth in handicaps was better than a lot of well established riders achieved.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan March 19, 2018 12:30 AM GMT
Last year Lisa O'Neill won her first Festival race aboard Elliott's Tiger Roll in the National Hunt Challenge Cup. On Tuesday, she went to post in the same race on the highly-fancied (and fatally injured) Mossback.

THIS YEAR...

1. Lizzie Kelly took the Ultima Chase on Coo Star Sivola.

2. Katie Walsh won the Champion Bumper on Relegate.

3. Bridget Andrews steered 33/1 shot Mohaayed (for trainer Dan Skelton) to victory in the County Hurdle - Harry Skelton's girlfriend btw, as the couple hugged & kissed after the race.

"I think it's about time we stopped talking about lady jockeys and just call them jockeys." - Dan Skelton is quick to praise Bridget Andrews on RUK.
Sally Ann Grassick - "I had the exact same rant at dinner yesterday evening, well said @DSkeltonRacing and well done to you and Bridget yesterday."

4. Harriet Tucker in just her second ride under rules, won the Foxhunters Chase on Pacha Du Polder
Report sageform March 19, 2018 7:35 AM GMT
I'm sure that women won on a greater percentage of rides than men at the Festival. If there was ever an example of the horse being more important than the rider it was Pacha du Polder. Not saying Harriet Tucker can't ride but the horse knew a lot more about how to win than she did.
Report jumper3 March 19, 2018 10:16 AM GMT
https://www.independent.ie/sport/horse-racing/cheltenham/watch-harriet-tucker-incredibly-overcomes-dislocated-shoulder-to-win-the-foxhunters-with-pacha-du-polder-36712861.html

Think I'd look plainly ridiculous too riding out to the line if I was also putting my dislocated shoulder back in place. On a separate point, I thought Rachael Blackmore would have got more rides last week. From what I have seen of her, she's top class and has the potential to be one of the best out there.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now