Forums

Cheltenham Festival

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
charlied93
30 Jan 17 14:28
| Topic/replies: 5 | Blogger: charlied93's blog
Hi guys, newbie here so go easy! (also making a new post because I have tried to comment in other threads but when I click send it just disappears without posting, so any help with that is much appreciated!)

Anyway... Have been reading on here that a number of people see Yorkhill as a great shout for the CH and would be the most likely sub for Faugheen in the event he doesn't make it to Cheltenham. Given this, I am a little bit confused at odds movements this weekend whereby Yorkhill shortened up for the CH before drifting so that today he is 17s, meanwhile his price for the JLT is holding up at nearly 3/1. Is the CH drift purely based on Ricci saying that Faugheen will be fine?
Share |
Show More
Report buddeliea January 11, 2018 12:10 PM GMT
Well he aint been 2m for a while,and has been 2 and a half and 3, so back to 2m seems like experimenting to me.
LincolnLaugh
Report buddeliea January 11, 2018 12:52 PM GMT
Actually to be fair,he has won a chase over 2m , so experimenting is not really the right word.
It is a bit of a change for the horse though.
Cant wait to see the race to be honest, hope he has some decent opposition.
Report impossible123 January 11, 2018 4:07 PM GMT
So Champion Chase or the Ryanair for this enigmatic and talented character.

If Mullins thinks meeting a fit Altior is too tall an order, and with the chances of Min and/or UDS not totally cast iron in the Ryanair either Yorkhill could very well end up in the Ryanair, a race similar to the JLT which he won last season but open to all and over the same distance too. But if Min goes for the Champion Chase I'd think it very unlikely Yorkhill will be too - more likely the Ryanair, I hazard to 2nd guess.

Min is slightly more fancied to win (probably run too) in the Champion Chase market than Yorkhill which might infer the latter might run in the Ryanair. But these are pure 2nd guessings and nothing more.
Report duffy January 11, 2018 4:34 PM GMT
They do have Min for the shorter trip, but is Min any good???, Yorkhill is and they want to win it not just run in it.!!
Report duffy January 11, 2018 4:36 PM GMT
They have UDS for the Ryanair too don't they, so there will be two in one of them, I'd have thought it more sensible to have two in the CC.
Report firstimevisor January 11, 2018 4:49 PM GMT
Mullins will have at least 2, perhaps 3, runners in both the QM and Ryanair if they all make it there. Douvan could turn up still. Great Field is potentially top class. I would think he'll settle for deciding who runs where on the weekend before the festival starts when they they are all safely stabled in Cheltenham. My guess at this stage is Yorkhill will run in the QM.
Report impossible123 January 11, 2018 4:50 PM GMT
Logically yes, but Min is owned by Ricci, Closutton number 1 patron. Imagine, Altior had an off-day in the Champion Chase (CC) and Yorkhill (Wylie) beat Min into 2nd place. Also, Yorkhill could have run in the Champion Hurdle (CH) last season but did not despite Mullins had no silver bullet for that race, and only Buveur D'air to beat; Mullins chickened out ie no 2m CH = no 2m CC, no? However, connections of UDS do not have Ricci or Wylie status at Closutton thus Yorkhill and UDS in the Ryanair is a more likely running scenario/plan than Min and Yorkhill in the CC.
Report Can't Catch Me January 11, 2018 5:06 PM GMT
Duffy. I personally think both Yorkhill and Min are superior animals to UDS and will be split up as Mullins best and second best chasers (in the absence of Douvan).

I think it was a pretty poor Ryanair last year and think either Min or Yorkhill could beat UDS this year. So it will be a case of which distance suits those two best and Mullins has said a couple of times Min is all speed... and we know Yorkhill can win over the intermediate distance at the Festival.
Report buddeliea January 11, 2018 5:24 PM GMT
Catch
I too think Min will be in the QM,but not so sure about Yorkhill, think at this stage its 50/50.
It probably will be decided very near the days of the races,when everything is known, wellbeing, likely going etc.

You know im going to disagree with you re UDS, as i think hes the stables 2nd best 2 miler,and until proved otherwise will continue to think that.
Report duffy January 11, 2018 5:36 PM GMT
Yorkhill will run in the 2 mile race at the newly formed Dublin racing festival in early Feb IMO, if he's impressive there it will be hard to run him in anything other than the CC.

By running him in that race they'll basically giving him the chance to prove he's a CC horse.

They've got to run in it but if the alleged Wylie comment that he's 2 miles next time, that tells me which way they are thinking.
Report impossible123 January 11, 2018 5:56 PM GMT
The most appropriate race for him is the Champion Hurdle - most prestigious/ideal distance - with/out Faugheen; he can win it too given the Supreme formline. But the Ricci factor (again).
Report harry callaghan January 11, 2018 7:03 PM GMT
i know some will feel yorkhill is a bet wherever he runs at the festival but does it not bother anyone that he ran like a drain the other day folding quicker than a cheap argos tent?

he has always been quirky horse, it is quite possible he hasn't gone on, we will see i suppose but i don't understand anyone entertaining a bet at this stage, just an opinion
Report buddeliea January 11, 2018 7:19 PM GMT
It would bother me Harry, but apparently some horses can do no wrong.
Hes quirky,unreliable at jumping fences,and disappointed last time out.
Talented, no doubt in my mind he is, but a betting proposition as some go on about,i dont think so.
Report Can't Catch Me January 11, 2018 8:19 PM GMT
Duffy. They will only run in him that as per Willie's quote that all the 2m4f options are right handed and that won't suit him.

I thought his quote suggested they would run him over 2m4f if they could, but they can't.
Report duffy January 12, 2018 5:05 AM GMT
I didn't think he was disappointing at all in the Lexus, he jumped well and had them all on the stretch for a large part of the race, I then thought as soon as the jock felt that the stamina was ebbing away he basically downed tools and gave up and gave the horse an easy time.

The fact that they fired him from the front and were very positive on him suggested to me that he was 100% fit and they wanted to get the stamina question answered.
Report duffy January 12, 2018 5:10 AM GMT
CCM,

That may well be correct, but for whatever reason, it is going to be the 2 mile race and if he is impressive in it then talk will naturally be geared I think toward the CC.

If he's less than impressive and win or lose he's sort of a staying on performance then obviously the Ryanair comes more into it.

If you're a Ryanair backer, him running over 2 miles is going to be twitchy for you, as a bold front running demolition job would be curtains I'd have thought.....I'm sure he's capable of such a performance.
Report buddeliea January 12, 2018 7:04 AM GMT
Duffy

You talking about Yorkhill there.......or UDS???
Report buddeliea January 12, 2018 7:54 AM GMT
Laugh

Seriously though, if I were talking up UDS for the QM(Which has been known!!!)I could use much the same comments.
Big difference though is that the formbook tells me that UDS is definitely capable of a Demolition job.

FWIW I too am pretty sure Yorkhill could as well, but at the same time I could see him not do it.

I dunno, hes definitely got a lot of talent, we have seen it, guess its all down to the price, and whether I am willing to take a risk and part with my cash....cos for me he is a risky bet, whenever he runs.
Report duffy January 12, 2018 4:16 PM GMT
I'm a lot like a broken record I know, apologies for thatCrazy and I continue to repeat the same thing year on year, last year I was banging on about Yorkhill for the CH which of course he never ran in, the years previous it was Vautour for the CC, again no luck there, so here we go again, Yorkhill should be running in the CC....law of averages, should get lucky eventually
Report buddeliea January 12, 2018 4:52 PM GMT
Im probably worse mate.....UDS and all that.

I hope for your sake you get your wish,and to be fair, if he runs well in his next race over 2m,then his presence in the QM would be exciting for us.
Report bluebirdfan January 14, 2018 5:21 PM GMT
Do we know when this “next run” over 2m is taking place?
Report Can't Catch Me January 14, 2018 10:27 PM GMT
Duffy. So you not think the fact they chose two and a half miles as a novice hurdler, and again as a novice chaser is telling though?
Report Can't Catch Me January 14, 2018 10:27 PM GMT
* Do you
Report duffy January 15, 2018 3:43 AM GMT
CCM,

Back then it would have been telling because then they were hopefully building toward a GC attempt, his breeding gave them every hope that he'd be a GC horse. They've now exhausted that so what happened before they had hindsight is now redundant.

There's a few notable things that have happened I think, firstly, his run in the Lexus where I think he would have been as fit as possible and was ridden extremely positively in order to give them the answer they needed regarding his stamina. Townend was easy on him when his chance was gone and I think that he was told that he wouldn't be beat for fitness so if you feel the stamina giving out then take it easy.

The non entry for the GC backs the above up as it proves that they are confident from that last run that he won't stay and that he would have been fit enough on that day to give them the answer.

I also think that through Lexus he jumped better than I've seen from him before, notably from the front, he looked straight forward and settled pretty much perfectly, could it be that racing from the front might eradicate a lot of his quirkiness, perhaps he doesn't want to see other horses around him. On this note it would seem better to adopt that approach in a 2 mile race rather than the 2.5 of the Ryanair where that approach might just tax him at that trip in open company. Also I noticed that for the majority of the Lexus he jumped straight up until when his stamina started to ebb and Balko took the lead off of him.

Lastly, I just wonder if they might just start to think of the Vautour situation where although a festival winner, they never really stuck or twisted with him with regards the two "better" races did they and now won't get another chance, with regards to that I just think the non GC entry is an unusual but refreshingly welcome act from the stable. The only thing that they need to decide on with him is whether he has the speed for the CC and to me that's an easy yes.

I think he'll run over 2 miles at Leopardstown next where he'll be gunned from the front with the encouragement he gave from that race style last time where they can utilize his speed knowing that he stays further, if it goes well it will be hard to not run in the CC next IMO.
Report unclepuncle January 15, 2018 7:51 AM GMT
I have no issue with him dropping to 2m (fences or hurdles) but he's always looked much better being held up and coming to challenge on the bridle so suddenly asking him to hit the gates and go tearing off at Championship 2m pace seems a bit of a leap?
Report maelduin January 15, 2018 1:45 PM GMT
Agree unclepuncle. His JLT run last year showed him to best effect i.e. running left-handed and held up off a fast pace. I think his quirks are most evident when he jumps right-handed or hits the front too soon. To me he definitely needs to be held on to as long as possible. If you look at his Cheltenham wins he is idling going to the line.

Would be great to see him in the QMCC against Altior.
Report Can't Catch Me January 15, 2018 2:11 PM GMT
They've now exhausted that so what happened before they had hindsight is now redundant.

Duffy. I can see where you are coming from, and I respect your opinion, but I cant agree that they've 'exhausted that' after one run. One ffs!! And he was beaten about three quarters of a mile out... so it was clear to me something was wrong with the horse on the day, rather then him proving he doesnt stay. He wouldn't have got home over 2m4f that day.

Im not saying he definitely wont run in the QMCC, but there is now way they will have given up on him as a staying chaser after one run. Especially when plenty in the yard have run badly.
Report impossible123 January 15, 2018 4:59 PM GMT
According to Mullins, Yorkhill will be running in the 2m 1f Dublin Chase on 3rd Feb, and if this does not work he'll go back to hurdling.

So, no Ryanair for him either, and do not throw away your Champion Hurdle voucher for this quirky beast (yet)...you could be pleasantly surprised.
Report buddeliea January 15, 2018 5:00 PM GMT
Nowt wrong with his JLT performance when he was held up and came through to win well, and he looked like he could stay further to me.
Cannot see how the race last time definitely rules him out as a 3 miler, like Catch says he werent staying two and a half that day.
Report duffy January 15, 2018 5:02 PM GMT
There wasn't anything wrong with him though was there, for most of the race he was leading them a merry dance I thought, subsequent events are that he hasn't even got a GC entry which for this stable is a remarkable course of action who would normally leave every possible door open but instead it was announced he'll drop back in trip!!
Report duffy January 15, 2018 5:05 PM GMT
For this year, which is what we are after all talking about, they have given up on him being a staying chaser, an impressive 2 mile performance next time will see it hard to run in anything other than the CC IMO, he needs to do it of course.
Report buddeliea January 15, 2018 5:05 PM GMT
Hell of a prep for the Champion Hurdle,quite laughable from a top yard imo.
Report duffy January 15, 2018 5:10 PM GMT
CH?? he won't be running in thatConfused
Report buddeliea January 15, 2018 5:11 PM GMT
Whose he gonna be up against though in this 2m chase?
Report buddeliea January 15, 2018 5:12 PM GMT
Replying to Imps post.
Report impossible123 January 15, 2018 5:15 PM GMT
Min is also in the Dublin Chase, a race for Mullins' benefit (as always).
Report duffy January 15, 2018 5:28 PM GMT
Those 2 days at leopardstown where they've taken all the top trials that are normally spread out over a few weeks and compacted them into 2 great days of racing is a brilliant innovation IMO.
Report buddeliea January 15, 2018 5:33 PM GMT
So Yorkhill and Min......any others we know of?
Report impossible123 January 15, 2018 5:38 PM GMT
Simply Ned is another possible.
Report duffy January 15, 2018 5:39 PM GMT
Yorkhill is set to drop back down in trip for the Coral Dublin Chase at Leopardstown on February 3 after disappointing in the Christmas Chase on his first try for Willie Mullins over three miles.

A return to hurdling for the two-time Cheltenham Festival winner has not been ruled out, either.

Mullins said: "We will go down the two-mile chase route and if that doesn't work we will go back to hurdling.

"I'm happy for him to go for the Coral Dublin Chase, and I don't think there is much alternative."

Min, who crossed the line first in a Grade One over Christmas but was demoted by the stewards, is another contender for the Dublin Chase.

"He's in great shape and came out of his race over Christmas at Leopardstown well," said Mullins.
Report impossible123 January 15, 2018 5:58 PM GMT
If Yorkhill excels in the Dublin Chase and runs in the CC where will Min go? He'll be an unlikely runner, I firmly believe, as Walsh cannot ride two in a race - he's no Ben Hur; the bucket shop Airline race perhaps. And that will really please the sponsor if thumped again by one of Mullins' charges.
Report buddeliea January 15, 2018 5:59 PM GMT
Would they actually run both Min and Yorkhill?

Hope Simply Ned runs, that would give a good indication of Yorkhill's ability at 2m chasing.
And where he is at compared with Min as well.
Report Can't Catch Me January 15, 2018 6:18 PM GMT
I cant see them running Min and Yorkshill in the QMCC myself. would be surprised if they ran against each other in the Dublin Chase but I dont think there any other options so they may well have to.

Duffy. There is absolutely no way the horse was right last time. Im absolutely staggered you are saying there was nothing wrong with him just because he led! He went out like a light and they hadnt even got to 2 1/2 miles at that point.
Report Can't Catch Me January 15, 2018 6:19 PM GMT
Agree they've given up for this year... didnt realise that's what you meant.
Report buddeliea January 15, 2018 7:19 PM GMT
Dont think it was the plan for him to lead in the Lexus,he started off 2 from the back!! Unless the jockey was asleep!!!
Four fences later he was in front though.so maybe he was caught napping, or maybe the horse just took him there and ultimately resulted in the horse doing too much and ruining his chance.
Well he is a tad enigmatic.
Report maelduin January 15, 2018 8:16 PM GMT
Assuming it hasn't been scrapped, the other option for Min is the Gr.2 Tied Cottage Chase @ Punchestown in early Feb. Don't think Yorkhill will go there as it is right-handed.

The way things have gone for Ricci & Wylie recently, i honestly can't see WPM being able to keep Min and Yorkhill apart @ Cheltenham. If they win their next races then it's definitely QMCC for both of them. imo
Report bluebirdfan January 15, 2018 8:19 PM GMT
Willie saying today he never thought Yorkhill was a Gold Cup Horse.......wasted most of this season then, could have been trained as a 2 mile chaser from the summer onwards
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y January 15, 2018 8:23 PM GMT
Or they could just run him in the obvious race the bloody Ryanair considering he has won the Ballymore and JLT at the last 2 festivals, connections wanted to run him in the Gold Cup, punters want him to run in the Queen Mother and the race he is clearly most suited too has barely got a mention.
Report Can't Catch Me January 15, 2018 8:37 PM GMT
I agree Pf.

With the upbeat bulletin on Douvan as well today, who bleedin' knows what will happen!
Report buddeliea January 15, 2018 8:46 PM GMT
Thats much too simple the Ryanair.
Far better too go 3m chasing then 2m chasing then ........???? QM or CHurdle apparently!!!
Report impossible123 January 15, 2018 10:54 PM GMT
To me Yorkhill has always been a serious Champion Hurdle contender since the day he won the Neptune. And Mullins' logic of dropping him in distance and not changing discipline too despite the horse's tendency to jump right at the fences beggars belief, in my opinion. But it would not surprise me Faugheen and Ricci have had something to do with it.
Report Fashion Fever January 15, 2018 11:38 PM GMT
yorkhill pricewise tip for the champion chase 6/1
Report duffy January 16, 2018 4:36 PM GMT
^
That's not rocket science really, he'll be a shortish fav I'd have thought next time and assuming all goes well would be a strong 2nd fav. or better if Altior doesn't run in the CC.
Report impossible123 January 16, 2018 6:00 PM GMT
No difference to me where he runs at the Festival as I have him at 4/1 to win any race, but I'd still prefer him to be in the Champion Hurdle mainly to vindicate my judgement about him being a good hurdler and a serious Champion Hurdle contender. I believe Yorkhill has a better chance of beating Buveur D'air than Altior if Altior is not inconvenienced by not having a prep race prior.
Report impossible123 February 1, 2018 11:05 AM GMT
Apparently, last saturday, Mullins let slip that Yorkhill chipped a bone in his foreleg when finishing last in the x'mas chase, and was out for ten days.

I think it is fair to say even Lydia Hislop was surprised by that disclosure so long after the event. No improvement from Mr Mullins!
Report duffy February 1, 2018 5:53 PM GMT
By all accounts horses run with bits of bones floating about their joints all the time and cause no problems, I'd doubt that played any part in his defeat, for a lot of the race he was travelling and jumping strongly.

Really looking forward to the race.
Report impossible123 February 1, 2018 6:28 PM GMT
He's 'evens' with Townend onboard, and Min ia 5/2. Last chance saloon for him (again), I reckon, otherwise, Champion Hurdle could beckon if jumping right and/or head strong in-running.
Report Autocue February 3, 2018 12:40 PM GMT
I think Min should be favourite over Yorkhill. The latter's prep has been all over the place for a 2 mile chaser. Min wasn't great against Simply Ned but if Yorkhill is allowed an off day then Min is also.
Report impossible123 February 3, 2018 12:48 PM GMT
If connections were correct with their reason for the defeat of Min last time then Min ought to be fav over the enigmatic Yorkhill (I still believe he ought to be prep for the Champion Hurdle but for Ricci's inmate) given his best credential was beating Yanworth (probably an over-rated horse) in the Neptune; Min split Altior and Buveur D'air in the Supreme.
Report duffy February 3, 2018 1:50 PM GMT
beat from the word go
Report Catch Me ifyoucan February 3, 2018 1:52 PM GMT
WHERE TO NOW
Report wellchief February 3, 2018 1:52 PM GMT
What excuse now? Simply nowhere near a good enough chaser to winna QM, Ryanair or Gold Cup.

Queue a big string of excuses from backers.
Report unclepuncle February 3, 2018 1:53 PM GMT
The Abattoir.Laugh
Report impossible123 February 3, 2018 1:54 PM GMT
Very disinterested from Yorkhill, Champion Hurdle or Ryanair, if all is well with him otherwise...
Report duffy February 3, 2018 1:58 PM GMT
I'm a supporter and that was an absolute shocker, but unlike the last race he ran, here today he never went a yard and was beat from the word go, townend was never happy, it was nothing to do with not being good enough, to the eye that performance looked like there was a problem with him.
Report impossible123 February 3, 2018 2:01 PM GMT
A broken bone in his foreleg probably still hindering him.
Report wellchief February 3, 2018 2:04 PM GMT
Aside from his JLT win I have never been convinced of him as a chaser, whether he was bred for it or not. Has to be hurdles next time for me, but even then I wouldn't join a queue to back him.
Report duffy February 3, 2018 2:05 PM GMT
I would, on better ground back at the festival, a track he loves, I'm all inLaughLaugh

I feel better alreadyGrinCry
Report Autocue February 4, 2018 10:01 AM GMT
Wylie is the Mullins patsy. His horses are messed about in favour of Ricci.
Report impossible123 February 4, 2018 2:20 PM GMT
Yep, Wylie is Mullins' patsy; Shaneshill, Bellshill and now Yorkhill, a similar route to Finian's Oscar but in reverse. Could he pitch up in the Champion Hurdle with Faugheen on the decline or Ricci an impediment? This, apart from the Ryanair, is the only race at the Festival left, I think.
Report Desmond Orchard February 5, 2018 12:36 PM GMT
Imp (who never backs Mullins horses), doesn't care where Yorkhill goes - yet barely a day goes by without him nominating the Champion Hurdle for him.
I smell an aftertimed huge price if Mullins does switch him back to hurdles........

For my money, any horse that has won a novice chase at the festival, is a chaser. He's not struggling this season due to the fences, as others have alluded to, something ain't right. I imagine they'll draw stumps and try again next year. When no doubt this thread will be revived.
Report wellchief February 6, 2018 8:08 PM GMT
Desmond, I don't think he's not a chaser, I simply think that because he has such a tendency to jump left, this is exaggerated a lot more over fences than hurdles, and I think by doing this he loses too many lengths over fences against top class opposition.

When everything does click perfectly for him, he is top class, and imo that has only happened once in six chase runs now (the JLT); he is far too inconsistent at his fences to back him with any confidence.

It's one thing winning novice hurdles and novice chases jumping left, but in open company against opposition like Min, Altior, Un De Sceaux, Might Bite, Fox Norton or whoever it might be, his jumping inconsistencies will cost him (imo of course).  While he did jump left over hurdles, I don't think it was as pronounced.

Six of his last eight runs below:

Held up in rear, took keen hold 2nd, soon tracking leaders, led before 7th, jumped left and not fluent after, Excitedhung left landing last, driven out (tchd 1/3)

Held up behind leaders, Excitedjumped left 2nd and bumped rival, jumped left again next and at times after

Chased leaders, jumped left at times, went 2nd after 2nd and led before next, Excitedjumped well left 3 out

Held up behind leaders in 3rd, jumped slightly left at times, raced keenly and took closer order from 4th where led, mistake next, jumped left 5 out

Held up and ran freely early, jumped left throughout and well left at times,

Towards rear early until improved to chase leaders 3rd and led before 5th, 2 lengths clear at halfway, mistake and jumped left 5 out where headed
Report wellchief February 6, 2018 8:08 PM GMT
Those faces above should be underlines, haha!!
Report duffy February 7, 2018 3:35 AM GMT
On Saturday he was beat from the moment the tapes went up, forget all this nonsense about the pace of the 2 miles, Special Tiara shot off and Yorkhill certainly wasn't going that pace. In every single race Yorkhill has ever run he's taken a hold, on Saturday Townend was niggling him to get to the first fence ffs.

I don't know if he'll ever see a fence again, but one thing I know 100%, Saturday did not show us the reason why he shouldn't, it was a right off and something was clearly wrong.
Report unclepuncle February 7, 2018 7:31 AM GMT
The market told you all you needed to know - same with Melon.

They are investigating the drifts but I doubt anything will cone of it.
Report unclepuncle February 7, 2018 7:31 AM GMT
^come
Report Desmond Orchard February 7, 2018 8:43 AM GMT
As Duffy said Unc, he never went a yard on Saturday - it wasn’t the run of a none-jigger. You can’t believe that they would run a multiple G1 winner, with potentially years left at the top, knowing he had a physical problem? For what? To pick up a few grand on here? I’ve said elsewhere that his SP probably wasn’t too far off his correct price anyway in a 2m chase of that quality.
Melon I agree with, they probably left it short of work with the CH in mind and knew it wouldn’t beat Faugheen. That’s the smelly one in my eyes and is rightly being looked at.

WC, I see what you’re saying. But it’s becoming a self-fulfilling prophesy with this lad. Because he jumped markedly right as a novice, I feel that every time he kinks out now it’s remarked upon. Every horse will chuck the odd one in (whisper it quietly but I’ve noticed a tendency for Samcro to carry his head a little to the right and duck that way at the odd flight - *puts on tin hat). I’m not the horses biggest fan by any means and no supporter of the stable, but he’s had two runs out of novice company, the first of which he appeared to get tired after a long lay off in a hot G1, the second you can put a line through. It’s not enough evidence for me to suggest a return to hurdles. They way he ran on Saturday he wouldn’t win an egg and spoon race anyway, so it’s fairly academic.
Report Desmond Orchard February 7, 2018 8:44 AM GMT
Markedly *left
Apologies
Report cyclops February 7, 2018 9:25 AM GMT
Amazing with hindsight to think this horse was around 7/1 for the Gold Cup just over a month ago.
Report cyclops February 7, 2018 9:25 AM GMT
Amazing with hindsight to think this horse was around 7/1 for the Gold Cup just over a month ago.
Report maelduin February 7, 2018 10:48 AM GMT
All this talk of a physical problem. Maybe Yorkhill just wasn't himself in the run up but given a clear scope/blood tests they decided to run him anyway. Maybe he had a cough but again wasn't showing any signs of ill effect so scope/blood test fine. Maybe he was still bollocks after trying to make all over 3m on soft ground at Christmas. Not every problem is easily diagnosed and trainers will take chances more often then not.

Kevin Blake needs to **** or get off the pot. He's great for throwing out little nuggets to punters but rarely follows through. Now he's saying he heard both Melon and Yorkhill were not working well before the race but didn't want to cause a stir and say it on ATR. Well then why was he talking Yorkhill up like he was unbeatable. Was he the one laying him? Tired of Blake thinking he's the punters hero.
Report duffy February 7, 2018 2:47 PM GMT
Blake said on the final furlong podcast, that there were rumours before hand that both Yorkhill and melon hadn't been pleasing connections recently but he didn't say on ATR as it would have caused carnage!!Crazy I guess he was thinking about being damned if you do and damned if you don't.

I would never repeat something like this on ATR if I repeated every bit of race course rumour you hear before races, you'd be causing carnage, there was chat that Melon and Yorkhill that they hadn't really been pleasing connections of late, sometimes that means nothing and they go and they win and that's it
Report duffy February 7, 2018 3:34 PM GMT
What I'd say to that is (and I, like most, like Blake) if you're not going to mention it before, then don't mention it after either.
Report maelduin February 7, 2018 4:44 PM GMT
Exactly Duffy. And if you are aware of possible training issues then don't go calling for the stewards when the horse runs badly. I didn't see Blake calling for the stewards after the Irish Gold Cup but then again he didn't fancy Yorkhills chances then over 3m.

I too like Blake cause he's not afraid to cross the line but i think he jumps back into line quick pronto once he raises an issue. I don't get the point of getting people talking if it doesn't lead anywhere. Maybe i'm too cynical. GL
Report ReaseHeath February 7, 2018 5:22 PM GMT
^ interesting thoughts in last few posts

I know horses seem to reappear later and later these days but It did cross my mind that the fact Yorkhill did n't reappear until Dec 28 suggested all has not been not well for a while.

However, Mullins RP stable tour from Nov 20 stated that Yorkhill was in great order, working well and Mullins was happy with him and looking forward to getting him started.

I would n't be surprised if Melon still runs a big race in the Champion Hurdle. With Yorkhill ,as things stand, I'd be surprised if he even runs at the Festival.
Report impossible123 February 11, 2018 11:17 PM GMT
A teeny-weeny bit of money for this enigmatic beast here.
Report Quevega06 February 11, 2018 11:35 PM GMT
For what race impossible
Report impossible123 February 11, 2018 11:41 PM GMT
The Champion Hurdle (CH) from 60 --> 28, maybe nothing but the only 2 possible options are the Ryanair and CH or miss the Festival altogether.
Report Quevega06 February 12, 2018 12:19 AM GMT
Good knows what happened to the horse.
Report impossible123 February 13, 2018 10:32 AM GMT
I'd helped myself to some of the 7/1 (nrnb) without Buveur D'Air in the Champion Hurdle.
Report buddeliea February 13, 2018 12:46 PM GMT
you sure 7/1 is nrnb?
Report impossible123 February 13, 2018 1:16 PM GMT
Yep, Sportsbook - you got me worried there for a split second; he is 10/1 with BD (nrnb).
Report buddeliea February 13, 2018 5:16 PM GMT
Thats good then.
Report Quevega06 February 18, 2018 10:39 PM GMT
Yorkhill goes champion hurdle
Report buddeliea February 19, 2018 7:38 AM GMT
Really?
Where you hear that?
Report impossible123 February 19, 2018 11:05 AM GMT
Assuming Yorkhill is going to the Festival and Douvan and Min are doing battle in the Champion Chase there are only two options left for him ie the Ryanair and the Champion Hurdle, either of which will cause a market turbulence, in my opinion, in case the real Yorkhill shows up.

But very quiet on him though despite nosies for Douvan.
Report wellchief February 19, 2018 4:30 PM GMT
So more like a guess than a statement!
Report buddeliea February 19, 2018 4:32 PM GMT
Seems so Chief
Report FOYLESWAR February 19, 2018 6:25 PM GMT
in his opinion id say !
Report Quevega06 February 19, 2018 10:10 PM GMT
Been told this is the only race it'll be targeted at if going. We will soon see in the next few days suppose
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now