Forums

Cheltenham Festival

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
irish_guy_13
23 May 16 23:10
| Topic/replies: 2,092 | Blogger: irish_guy_13's blog
12/1 with Powers, i'm on.

Won over 2m5f in france sunday....... seems likely, no?
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View Un de Sceaux------- Ryanair 2017
Show More
Report foolsgold123 May 24, 2016 6:37 AM BST
I would be more interested in the world hurdle. Not a natural over fences and looks likhe would love 3m IMO.
Report Afc888 May 24, 2016 3:14 PM BST
Interesting subject after the weekend. I think you could argue both ways where he will be targeted. I know it sounds ridiculous I'm still not overly convinced he is a bad jumper and yes I know it sounds silly after falling twice in Ireland and his dismal jumping over in England. But hear me out. The last two races against Sprinter.. A Sprinter back to top form using hindsight was always going to be a tough ask. Those two races he just didn't look himself.. He didn't have the kind of zip he did at the weekend in France where he looked as if he was back to enjoying his racing putting it up to the field from the front. The main thing being IMO was the ground proper SOFT GROUND I think he is ground dependent unless there was something wrong at Cheltenham and Sandown I think he was just beaten by a better horse on the day. I myself would be looking at the World Hurdle its not that I don't think he can win top class races over fences I think he has some serious ability 8/8 over hurdles just think he is better equipped to win races over hurdles going back to there old tactics dictating from the front the win at the weekend proving he can step up in distance.I couldn't believe people were doubting weather he would stay the trip at the weekend... 2/2 at Auteuil before the weekend those two races showed to me he had the scope to go further in distance. Maybe I am being biased it is probably my favorite horse in training on top of that has won me a nice few quid in the past. But yeah with the ante post puzzle growing even harder to solve I do like the idea getting involved at double figure prices in races he could be aimed at. Be interesting to hear other opinions on this one. Probably a lot more knowledgeable people with a few idea's of where he may be aimed.

This year with Mullins I wont be letting any Mullins interviews put me off regarding certain targets. The Yorkhill Bellshill one was puzzling for me they said throughout the season they thought Bellshill was the best.. When IMO they clearly knew which horse was best the way the betting panned out a week before Cheltenham.Confused Obviously this isn't the only example but listening to certain trainers regarding targets ante post isn't going to be profitable. Be nice to hear some other thoughts.
Report timtin May 24, 2016 9:40 PM BST
He didn't had major failures over fences but he doens't have the scope for them and he's too reckless. Mullins has been trying for ages to make non-stayer hurdlers into stayers(at the top level) and I can see him continue the experiment with UDS who's already giving signs for staying the trip so the WH looks the most likely target at the start of the season - if he disappoints during the trials maybe they'll go back chasing.. who knows, I wouldn't risk anything without Nr/nb on Mullins M.O. of deciding everything with 1 day before the festival..
Report Afc888 May 25, 2016 3:12 PM BST
I think a major failure would be pushing it personally. I think quite a lot of trainers would take a champion chase from any horse.. Maybe he hasnt lived up to the expectation I still think he is a classy horse he has been on the go all season not forgetting so im willing to take a chance early. I kind of think its a tad misleading for me. The last 2 races against Sprinter were  definitely his worst jumping performances Id agree but for me there is scope against Sprinter I just think on the day he wasn't good enough end of story really I think the ground is a massive issue for the horse as Patrick said in the interview after the race at the weekend.

Be interesting what you think about Vautour? Obviously Vautour is a very classy horse but would you not argue his chase record falls wise is similar.. ? They are both not bad jumpers they have been unlucky in certain races. Yeah you could argue looking at both of the records in the form book jumping wise they're both sketchy.. For me they are both decent jumpers. Any horse can fall plenty top class horses have fallen in the past and come back.

Regarding prices we are talking double figure prices here. A horse that's gone off odds on both times turning up at Cheltenham if he turns up then you wont be getting a price IMO. I'm willing to take a small chance and hopefully build a position throughout the season where will see what horses are being aimed where etc.. Think I could easily get a nice trade coming into December when things start hotting up.

I do however agree with what you said regarding the World I can see Mullins aiming him at this race very early to be putting together Ante Post bets but I think out of a lot of the Mullins horses this could be one of the easier one to predict route wise. Nice to hear your opinion anyway some early food for thought! CoolCool
Report timtin May 25, 2016 6:48 PM BST
After the Punchestown Champion Chase, Walsh said that Vautour is a bit too cautious over his fences and that made the difference over the minimum trip. I'd also add that he lacks the turn of foot required in top 2 mile races, he got away in the Supreme because he used his stamina from the front and didn't had any high class opponents. In contrast UDS brushes the fences and is not taking any margin for errors so combine that with his first outings keenness and you can see why he has fallen twice on his reappearances.

It'd be no surprise to see UDS remain over fences but I think Mullins has enough horses for the code that are coming through the novice ranks and doesn't have any clear WH contenders and we know he's been trying to make some from non-stayers therefore UDS looks a main candidate after the job he did in France over almost 3 miles in that vsoft ground description. Vautour in my mind no question he'll be tackling the GC the next season, its been the established route for several years now with Imperial Commander, Cue Card, Don Cossack all going there first before the GC. I don't think a failure in the KG or another big race prep will sway Mullins to take the easier option again.

I'd also want to spice things up and say that I always believed Douvan is a hype horse who'll be found in top company and if that happens early in the season lets say Tingle Creek(if Mullins dares sending him over to England) and fails, then UDS could go back CC route and try again to take this time an older SS and maybe succeed who knows(I'll have my money on Ar Mad if he comes back from injury he looked a very good novice last season). Maybe Mullins will dare to test Douvan early on and then all the plans will change with UDS CC, Douvan Ryanair, Vautour GC. Almost 6 months to find out but just putting it out there, I wouldn't rule it out.
Report Fashion Fever June 9, 2016 12:06 AM BST
very tough for a horse a horse to make all in 3 mile hurdle races at cheltenham,
Report impossible123 June 9, 2016 9:30 AM BST
If the owners of UDS were given their way I think UDS would be aimed at the Ryanair in 2017 as prep for the Gold Cup the following year alongside Vautour with Djakadam given his 3rd/final attempt in the Gold Cup (clear 2nd best twice in two years) now that it's very likely Don Cossack will be ruled out. I do not envisage WPM/RR having Djakadam, Vautour and Vroum Vroum Mag (VVM) in the Gold Cup (GC) if the Ryanair is there for the taking, and Vautour did not take part this year despite ground conditions were in his favour. WPM will also have Killultagh Vic (KV) as a credible candidate for the GC if he's recovered fully from that last fence incident.

The three most exciting GC prospects for 2017 are Thistlecrack, KV and VVM, the former and VVM especially as they are winners over 3m with VVM already successful over fences and the one to fear most if campaigned for the GC as she's an excellent jumper and stays the GC trip well.
Report impossible123 June 12, 2016 6:26 PM BST
Any future Cheltenham Gold Cup aspiration completely snuffed out today after not coming home over 25f in France. There will be no Champion Chase either, only the Ryanair beckons next season against Vautour perhaps.
Report cyclops June 13, 2016 1:19 PM BST
I doubt Cheltenham will be his main aim. As his owner said, the going is the key to him.
Might well mix and match between hurdles and fences and France could well feature again.
As many of us have maintained, he's probably not quite top class at any discipline but is a fair tool against anything else.
Took such a grip yesterday, he was never going to get home.
Report Fashion Fever June 13, 2016 1:34 PM BST
UDS only chance at cheltenham is a soft/heavy champion chase

My feeling that the horse hasnt been 100% right this year thou
Report wellchief June 21, 2016 6:09 PM BST
I think he can be another Golden Silver; mop up all the Grade 2's in Ireland, and maybe nick a Grade 1 here and there, but can't see him beating Douvan/Sprinter over 2m or Vautour over 2.5. Killultagh Vic and Black Hercules will be tough nuts to crack over 2.5m too if staying at that distance.
Report buddeliea January 22, 2017 8:11 AM GMT
To me he is a two miler....much better hurdler than chaser.
He is unbeaten over hurdles at 2m and that is where he is most comfortable and where he shows his true ability.He can be left to bowl along at his leisure and because he stays well at that distance he don't stop.
Over fences at the top level hes just not the same horse,he looks out his comfort zone and just is unable to show the speed that he has over hurdles which wins his races. Simply not a natural chaser imo.

Personally think he should be entered in the Champion Hurdle and run if soft is in the description.
Actually think he will be either in the QM or Ryanair,and don't think he would win either.
Report wellchief January 22, 2017 10:04 AM GMT
He's be one that I'd take on in the Ryanair.  He's 4/1 now, but I can see him going off a good bit shorter than that, especially if he wins the rescheduled Clarence House next week.

Some good younger ones behind him like Sizing John and Sub Lieutenant, and one at bigger prices Ar Mad, who I think is crying out for a step up to 2.5m.  Obvious, but a lot will depend on the ground too, as good ground will bring the others a lot closer.

I agree in that he has never realised his potential over fences ever since his novice chase campaign.  He looked like the next superstar after his first few races, but never kicked on.  Lots of talk on here saying Yorkhill should go down the Champion Hurdle route, but you could make the same case for UDS.
Report firstimevisor January 23, 2017 9:50 PM GMT
Buddilea are you still not over UDS!

He's a good hurdler but not a superstar. He ran to his rating (156) to a tee every time, against some average horses I admit. When he won his grade 2 he beat Midnight Game (140) 16 lengths. Midnight game was already in decline, he never won another race from 23 attempts. Now I know he could only beat whatever else turns up, and by running with the choke out he created the illusion that he had more in reserve than he actually had because he left it all out there on the track. When he won the grade 1 in France it was the first time he ran against a decent horse. He received 6 pounds from Gemix and won by a nose.That's not Champion Hurdle material.

He's a better chaser (169) and runs consistently to that mark but still not a superstar and still vulnerable at the very top level. He settles much better these days, maybe due to having more respect for the fences,which can only have improved him.He would look the one to beat in the Ryanair
Report buddeliea January 24, 2017 7:12 AM GMT
Not really no.

Its just my opinion that hes a much better hurdler than chaser.

Don't want to get into arguments on here,had enough of them over last few years!!Its not what I came back on here for.
I will say though....those races in France were over further than 2 miles and imo his limit over hurdles with the speed he goes is 2m,and he can maintain it to the line.
He does settle better now,but over fences he has to and has been taught to,and he has won some good races,but that imo is cos hes a darn good horse.Over hurdles they just let him go cos it was natural to him.He never looked like stopping in his 2m races and won them all easily.
I do think he could still be a genuine CH contender given the right conditions,but I accept that until he actually ran in a race that would tell me for sure,it will always remain an opinion.
Report buddeliea January 29, 2017 3:33 PM GMT
Well another good chase win,and he certainly weren't gonna fall jumping as big and deliberate as he did.
Still don't look natural to me,but the "experts"on ITV obviously disagreed with me!!
As they are obviously staying chasing,i think only a soft ground Queen Mother will see him have a chance of another festival win.
Genuinely don't think he would get home well enough over the Ryanair trip

Mind you, I will still clutch a straw or two with doubts about Faugheen.
Report ReaseHeath January 29, 2017 3:51 PM GMT
I can see Uxizandre reversing yesterday's result on normal festival ground in the Ryanair - obviously the so called bounce factor could be an issue and the King stable would need to maintain their current form.

Uxizandre might have given UDS more of a race yesterday but for a mid race mistake which Geraghty allowed him plenty of time to recover from, smart ride by Geraghty on a horse that's been out for so long though.
Report buddeliea January 29, 2017 4:41 PM GMT
So can i.Uxizandre would be a huge runner.
Report DECALEC February 1, 2017 2:10 AM GMT
Budd think you need a hugg it's huddling days is over
Report buddeliea February 1, 2017 7:44 AM GMT
Laughyeh I know mate.
Sad as it is, I still keep hoping!!
Report buddeliea February 7, 2017 7:14 PM GMT
Is he the highest rated hurdler in his yard left that is fit??
Wink
Report irish_guy_13 March 16, 2017 3:02 PM GMT
Love
Report ReaseHeath March 16, 2017 3:12 PM GMT
well done, he was superb.
Report Angela Rebecchi March 16, 2017 10:27 PM GMT
Cool
Report CheltenhamRoar March 16, 2017 11:19 PM GMT
Superb display today, so the myth that he needs a big is well and truly blown out of the water!
Just shows ye how good sprinter was though, he absolutely obliterated uds last year
Report CheltenhamRoar March 16, 2017 11:20 PM GMT
*a bog
Report macrocky March 16, 2017 11:41 PM GMT
Different trip today though and UDS did win over a trip in France over hurdles. I'm really glad for the O connells of Glanmire.
As ruby said a right little terrier with a huge heart
Report unclepuncle March 17, 2017 8:10 AM GMT
Great shout OP.Cool
Report wellchief March 17, 2017 8:16 AM GMT
Been the best performance of the festival for me so far, up there with Might Bite.

Great to see him finally give his true running at Cheltenham after an underwhelming Arkle and last years QMCC.

The sight when Ruby just thought sod this and let him go and he breezed past Uxizandre was fantastic.

Sub Lieutenant shaped like he could be a good Gold Cup horse next year with how well he stayed on.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan January 11, 2018 7:07 PM GMT
Last year's winner Un De Sceaux leads the way after 44 entries for 2018

WPM has made a total of 14 entries with Min, Ladbrokes Trophy winner Total Recall, Killultagh Vic and Djakadam also given the option.
Henry de Bromhead also has three possibles in Balko Des Flos, Sub Lieutenant and Valseur Lido.
Gordon Elliott potentially triple-handed with A Toi Phil, Ball D'Arc and Outlander.
Nicky Henderson's Top Notch chased home Yorkhill last March and is in the mix with stablemates L'Ami Serge and and Gold Present.
Report buddeliea January 12, 2018 12:40 PM GMT
Well, having proved me wrong(bless him) when I said he was not a natural chaser but impressing in last years Ryanair,he will now be the one to beat this year.
However, I have a plan.
Next Saturday I am going to Ascot,and whilst I am there after he has(hopefully!!)smashed the field in the Clarence House,i intend to have a chat with connections about running in the QM.
I wont mention the large odds I have on him as they may think I am talking out my pocket!!!
Just a casual chat putting my points across to them.
I think I can give them some food for thought.
Do you think it would help if I wear one of their scarves?
Report impossible123 January 12, 2018 1:00 PM GMT
Wearing one of their scarves might work but Mullins always has the final say unless it was Gigginstown. Admittedly UDS has improved on his fencing with age and post upped in trip, but not defending his Tingle Creek crown spoke volume to me than words ever could. Ryanair for me.
Report buddeliea January 12, 2018 1:18 PM GMT
I intend having a word with Mr Mullins as well.
Maybe I will take the scarf off for that one.....don't want him thinking I am biased !!
Report ReaseHeath January 14, 2018 1:01 PM GMT
The Clarence House entries are pitiful (assuming the horse who ran yesterday won't run) - UDS should win without coming off the bridle and will probably be shortened half a point or a point without showing anything we don't already know.

King, Souede and Munir should give serious consideration to supplementing Sceau Royal...
Report buddeliea January 14, 2018 1:32 PM GMT
Yeh,he should win comfortably against that lot,and you are quiet correct we wont get anything we dont know.

I shall make a decision on whether to bother going on Friday when i see all the decs.
Report buddeliea January 17, 2018 12:18 PM GMT
Getting a tad concerned with this nasty weather around....will he travel??
Report buddeliea January 20, 2018 6:46 AM GMT
Not gonna bother going today,not that impressed with the card to be honest.
Will watch on TV and hopefully see him jump well and win as he normally does.

Been having a think,and i believe this years Ryanair is going to be better than last year.I think my fav horse will be vulnerable to my 2nd fav horse.....Top Notch.Watching last years races,it seemed to me that UDS did not need any further and was at his limit,and probably won the race more by his earlier efforts during the race rather than his finishing,whereas Top Notch in his race was finishing quite strongly and had made a ricket of the 3rd or 2nd last(not sure) which i think may well have cost him victory.
Added to this we Have Waiting Patiently who looks a real threat,Fox Norton who could well relish this trip,and possible some may come out the QM and GC as well to run in this.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now