Cheltenham 2016

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
12 Nov 13 23:04
Date Joined: 30 Jul 02
| Topic/replies: 49 | Blogger: splinterboy82's blog
Entered on Sunday (17/11/13) over both 2m & 2m6f....
This beast is the one i'm most excited about this season....Mullins new superstar?
Took 20/1 Neptune - Can see this going off 5/4f after hacking up in Ireland all season prior to March 2014.

Think Moyle Park will end up being Mullins Supreme horse & Briar Hill heading for AB...

No need to wait until March when you can guess in November ;-)
Share |
Show More
Report Steamship March 10, 2015 3:52 PM GMT
It was a great call splinterboy I hope you have won plenty
Report maelduin March 10, 2015 3:56 PM GMT
Well done lads. Hype justified.
Report sj March 10, 2015 7:48 PM GMT
Monster. I remember getting slaughtered on here for suggesting 3 miles is probably to long for him last year and the Neptune was the correct race well he must be some horse to win the Champion off a slow pace and be able to win a top race over 3 miles.
Great day
Report buddeliea March 11, 2015 5:58 AM GMT
Well those of us who were waiting before hailing Faugheen need wait no longer.

Well done to those who have been belivers all along,hope most of you had nice odds for him.

Looking at last years horses its clear hes a lot better,with only 1 horse getting near him and he did not run in the race last year and has improved immensely.

We have a good champion and be interesting to see what challengers come out of the woodwork.
Report timtin March 15, 2015 3:36 AM GMT
what if R. Ricci came up with the idea of sending Faugheen over fences next season until its too late... would Mullins accept to lose his main hope for next year CH? Or would he say yes straight away as the prize money is much bigger for the top Chase races and he recently complained about that.. or does he have enough chasing prospects on his hand that he'll refuse to send Faugheen as well..
Report Harvester March 15, 2015 9:08 AM GMT
They'll definitely keep Faugheen hurdling now, especially as they have plenty of chase options ... Personally I think douvan will aim for arkle.

I wasn't a faugheen believer ahead of the Neptune last year but after that race I got him at 33-1 for this year's churdleLaughLaugh
Report Arklearkle March 15, 2015 11:29 PM GMT
Faugheen will definitely stay hurdling. WM has UDS, Vautour, Djakadam, Don Poli and Douvan among others.
Report Harvester March 16, 2015 8:27 PM GMT
just out of interest, they were talking to Dermot Weld about the possibility of Windsor Park going for the Ascot GC and he is currently about 3rd/4th in the betting... which got me thinking, what would Faugheen (or even UDS or Vautour) do in a Ascot GC..??
Report Harvester March 16, 2015 8:28 PM GMT
just out of interest, they were talking to Dermot Weld about the possibility of Windsor Park going for the Ascot GC and he is currently about 3rd/4th in the betting... which got me thinking, what would Faugheen (or even UDS or Vautour) do in a Ascot GC..??
Report timtin March 16, 2015 8:47 PM GMT
Think the obstacles are rather an inconvenience for Faugheen, only need to look at his bumper to see how impressive he was, Racing Post: "As racecourse debuts go, they don´t get much more impressive than this one. It was extremely easy on the eye and the manner in which he devoured the ground inside the final furlong suggests we´ll still be talking about him this time next year. The three who followed him home were all newcomers, so only time will tell what the form amounts to."

Josses Hill went on 2nd in the Supreme so that piece of form tells us everything about how much Faugheen hates obstacles, thats why Mullins wanted to send him chasing so that he'll start respecting them more so he can jump better. Unfortunately he remained over hurdles and still wants to take them home in almost every race so he won't ever achieve his highest potential if they won't fix the issue, over flat might do better but R. Ricci only loves jumps racing so even though Royal Ascot is the biggest horse racing stage of the world he'll never send his horses there.
Report Harvester March 16, 2015 9:54 PM GMT
"Royal Ascot is the biggest horse racing stage of the world"

mmm... Cheltenham for me! ... and i've never heard of the Ascot Roar either!
Report cufcno1 March 16, 2015 9:59 PM GMT
They don't need to spoil the horse by sending it flat racing,this horse could be as good as istabraq,maybe 1 more run then put away until the autumn,it will only get better jumping hurdles and will take a monster to beat him next year !
Report Arklearkle March 16, 2015 10:13 PM GMT
No chance of going flat - flat racing would ruin him - it would only gizz him up.

Royal Ascot is carp. When do you get the drama we experienced last week. In ten years time people will be still asking where were you when Annie fluffed her lines. Whats the most dramatic thing that ever happens on the flat - probably something getting left in the stalls at Chelmsford city. Yuk.
Report Can't Catch Me March 16, 2015 10:37 PM GMT
Great performance obviously, but I thought he looked absolutely knocked after the race and on the walk in to the winners enclosure. Looked like he had had a very hard race to me, and would be wary of backing him next time.

Can't see them doing it, but would be delighted to see him put his feet up from here and be fresh for next season.
Report timtin March 16, 2015 10:38 PM GMT
yep I've meant Ascot for flat, almost all racing countries want to win there. Jumps racing is driven by passion and can't ever be matched by flat which is driven by money with the recent example of their jockeys title..
Report CVByrne March 16, 2015 10:50 PM GMT
He got a cut in the race CCM, could have had an effect.

Ruby gave him a great ride btw. He set a slow/steady pace for the first half and then kicked on to sprint finish. He knew Fly and Jezki couldn't beat him if he did that, and was confident Faugheen was quicker than TNO. I'm amazed JP didn't run a pace maker.
Report Harvester March 16, 2015 10:54 PM GMT
there's a strong chance Faugheen could be largely unopposed next season, especially if Douvan goes chasing (as i think he will)...

CV, do you think PAC could serve it up to him..??
Report wellchief March 16, 2015 10:59 PM GMT
I personally can only see the Triumph ones being a danger to Faugheen next year, and possibly MTOY if back and fit, and staying over hurdles.

Windsor Park looks a stayer to me, as does Vyta Du Roc, and Nichols Canyon could well go the World Hurdle route.  I wouldn't take much from the Supreme for next year's Champion Hurdle.

The big danger could be Annie Power, but.......I'll leave that debate for another day!!!!
Report Can't Catch Me March 16, 2015 11:01 PM GMT
I was surprised they just let Ruby dictate the pace CV. It's his biggest asset as a jockey IMO. I appreciate it's easier when you're on the best horse, but he made the win on Faugheen and UDS look slightly easier than they actually were IMO.

Did it again on Vautour, but he was simply in a different league anyway.
Report Can't Catch Me March 16, 2015 11:03 PM GMT
I'd possibly give a mention to l'Ami Serge as well WC. Think we haven't seen the best of him by a long way, and he didn't get the best of runs in the Supreme. Think he could improve and improve and at least be a contender. If NJH can get the yard back to its brilliant best.

Agee it's almost impossible to look past Faugheen at this stage though.
Report Paterson92 March 16, 2015 11:07 PM GMT
I think it's clear to see that Faugheen is always going to attract criticism. Firstly, it was that he hadn't beaten anything and had only beaten trees. Now here he is a Champion Hurdle winner and it was gifted to him after Ruby was allowed to dictate the pace. Have a day off, he's a machine and a very profitable one at that! I wonder if Nigel Twiston Davies has tried renaming his horse to "The Nearly One" yet? Shame.
Report CVByrne March 16, 2015 11:08 PM GMT
Faugheen, Arctic Fire, Peace and Co, Hargam. It's between those imv. Top Notch would find likely decent ground on the old Course too sharp.
Report Arklearkle March 16, 2015 11:13 PM GMT
Cant Catch I did not see him up closely on the way back in but he did a circuit and a half of the parade ring afterwards and the lad had difficulty holding him the whole way around.

I believe he would have would won the race irrespective of the pace set.
Report CVByrne March 16, 2015 11:14 PM GMT
I agree CCM, they let Ruby have the run of the race and were not going to really have a great chance if they did that. It was a bit complacent by his rivals. NTD is so full of sh1t I'm not surprised he didn't worry about tactics he thought his horse was a world beater. But JP knows racing and he should have sacraficed Kitten Rock or put in a pace maker.

Un De Sceaux won with a lot more in hand than people think. Mullins has managed to train the horse to settle better now as he has a big turn of foot he doesn't need to burn them off, just set a good gallop and quicken. Which he did. He has utterly no rivals for the Champion Chase.

Douvan is 100% going for the Arkle next season.
Report Paterson92 March 16, 2015 11:38 PM GMT
Totally agree about Douvan going the Arkle next season! The only reason Vautour wasn't in the Arkle this year was down to UDS. There's no UDS lurking about this year. Realistically the only other option for Douvan would be Champion Hurdle but let's face it, Faugheen will be back to defend his title!
Report timtin March 17, 2015 12:05 AM GMT
It baffles me how the commentators and others after the race said that they made it easier for Ruby to beat them, while they ignored the fact that he was riding a 3 mile point to pointer. One who knows his racing would say they made it harder for Faugheen to beat them or they maximized their chances because a horse with his profile would normally get outpaced by the top 2 milers with a speedy finish in them. Of course Faugheen as most know from his Ascot reappearance, has a devastating turn of foot as well but the others counted on the fact that their horses will be alot faster at the end, look what NTD said just before the race:"Faugheen looks a grinder, and our horse has the best turn of foot" which is probably what JP thought of Faugheen as well and they hoped they'll catch him right before 3 out which is what McCoy tried but couldn't and instead hindered his own chances in doing so, same with TNO.
Report CVByrne March 17, 2015 12:15 AM GMT
Calling Faugheen a grinder, NTD basically decided he wasn't going to pay attention to anyone elses horses and just go on spounting utter nonsense about how his own horses are absolute world beaters. It was clear from Kempton that Faugheen has a turn of foot, while Ruby has a superb record in making the running on horses. So to give him the run of the race where he could ride the tactics he wanted was a bad decision by JP imv.
Report timtin March 17, 2015 12:37 AM GMT
If we go back in past without knowing the outcome then their line of thinking was correct, in that they thought Faugheen needs further and over 2 miles he needs a strong gallop to see him at his best(which was consequently confirmed by Timeform as he only posted 170+ as opposed to 171+ on Boxing day when the pace was very strong) but doesn't have a powerfull turn of foot like their horses and they knew he was a frontrunner in other races and that its their best chance of catching him late on.

So IMHO they did everything right as you'll never see Arctic Fire finish so close to Faugheen in a strongly run race, it only happened because Faugheen had his first battle with Jezki from 3 out, then used another pack of energy to recover the lost momentum after he blundered 2 out, while Ruby also admitted today that he "only rode Faugheen out to the line, I didn't really get stuck in" and that can be seen as he didn't gave him any smacks in the last 200 yards. Their best chance was catching him for the turn of foot which was what the other jockeys tried to do but because they failed everyone started to say in hindsight that he got it easy out in front. They just need more time to sink in that: if the other jockeys had given Faugheen a stronger pace he would've beat them even further and produce a higher rating than what he achieved on the day.
Report duffy March 17, 2015 6:01 AM GMT
It was fascinating how Walsh rode Faugheen but I also think it gives hope to his challengers next year because I think the tactics perhaps show the concern that they themselves had about his jumping.

As timtin says above, on the face of it the tactics should have made it harder for a horse that stays 3 miles to a win a CH when having to rely on his pace at the end of the race, but I think that prospect was still less of a worry than making him go faster through the race as the concern over his jumping was too great.

Now, if we actually look what happened during the race it actually bears this concern out as through the early and middle parts of the race with no pressure applied to Faugheen he jumped ok but when they got to the business end of the race at the 3rd last when Walsh first starts to ask him he makes a slight mistake and then at the 2nd last when jexki is right upsides him and they are really motoring he makes another worse mistake, however, as he's such a good horse and as he hadn't suffered earlier on in the race he was able to recover and get away from them and win.

On reflection it is reasonable to think that the unusual tactics were borne out of a concern about his jumping and the evidence from the race itself showed that when asked to race properly with horses pressuring him there is a flaw present.

In next years race I would be amazed if there isn't something forcing the pace hard from the word go putting extra pressure on him at each and every flight.
Report cufcno1 March 17, 2015 8:08 AM GMT
The race could have been run in any shape or form and the result would have been the same,an easy win,ccm,I got right beside the horse last year after they came out of the winners circle into the yard and he looked absolutely shagged !
Report timtin March 30, 2015 10:05 PM BST
Mullins said "He probably won't jump a fence. When you've got a good hurdler like this there's no reason to go novice chasing."

I think he's making a huge mistake treating him as one trick pony, he was novice champion, he's now champion hurdler, whats more to prove? they should now go chasing and prove his versatility over the bigger obstacles, and he stays so Gold Cup could be an option. It seems a better strategy to keep Douvan and Arctic Fire(both young and improving) and also Annie Power for the CH but at the same time target the GC with everything he has available: Vautour, Don Poli, Djakadam and Faugheen. If Djakadam fails there's Don Poli, if DP fails theres Vautour and if VT fails theres Faugheen. When you have such a good pool of horses you should have backup over backups especially for the Gold Cup.

Cheltenham broke the first day attendance record this year but if Faugheen goes chasing they'll break the last day record because all racing fans will want to see him facing new challenges and getting tested in different ways instead of seeing him do the same thing over the same trip. Mullins admitted he tried to get Faugheen beaten Devil and he can try to do it by getting him over fences where the failure chances will increase alot more than over hurdles.
Report brandyontherocks March 30, 2015 10:43 PM BST
Like Mullins says, no need.

Ricci has other horses to go chasing with.
Report timtin March 30, 2015 11:18 PM BST
2 miles hurldes, again ? boring...  fences? stamina for GC? possible failure? much more exciting!! I hope Ricci and Mullins will change their minds and make us a big surprise for the new season!
Report Arklearkle March 30, 2015 11:30 PM BST
I dont agree with you at all Tim he has 3 good young chasers to go to war with and the CH is the 2nd most important race at the festival. He also has Douvan and a number of other young chasers.
Report Howdi March 31, 2015 4:50 PM BST
Ruby knew that the only way UDS could get beaten was to fall or hit one - almost won the race in a canter
Report Arklearkle April 9, 2015 11:33 PM BST
I reckon Faugheen will sleep easily in his bed tonight.
Report timtin April 10, 2015 12:28 AM BST
Yes home in detriment of horse racing.. When you have a horse of this nature the attendance will rise considerably, the papers will put racing in spotlight and the racing fans get to see another great battle.. instead we have Faugheen home watching grass grow.. now Mullins is in love with him after he gave him 3 hard races in a month's period before the Neptune..

He can handle racing in short space of time, he proved it already, he's not a stallion so why keep him home... why keep him over hurdles when he already proved what he can do over them.. put him over fences and make racing more popular to the masses, as even if he gets beat the media will love the story and we will all want to see him try something new.. do anything but don't keep him home if he's fit and ready for racing..
Report Arklearkle April 10, 2015 12:14 PM BST
You may have misunderstood my post Tim in that we saw nothing yesterday which would suggest that Faugheens crown as champion hurdle was in danger. Dont worry you'll see him at Punchestown in a couple of weeks and none of yesterdays field will be there. I would imagnine WM knows a bit about what a horse can or cant do - a lot more than you and I.
Report Arklearkle April 10, 2015 12:15 PM BST
* hurdler
Report trigger3 April 10, 2015 7:14 PM BST
He done it with the fly he will now do the same with Faugheen. Run in the same small field races time and time again beating the same horses. I agree with you timtim though in terms of what the racing public want to see, it's versatility in terms of tracks, distances and if you added a different discipline in chasing to the mix, then he could go down as an all time great. Considering that he was initially always destined to go chasing, it's a bit disappointing but having said that I can see Mullins viewpoint with so much ammunition elsewhere. However I'd like to see him at least take in different races like the Aintree Hurdle (different track and distance) rather than simply run round Leopardstown for the next few years.
Report brandyontherocks April 10, 2015 8:11 PM BST
It's got nothing to do with what Mullins has. It's what Ricci has.
Report brandyontherocks April 10, 2015 8:13 PM BST
He has the opportunity to win the Gold Cup and Champion hurdle next year. Why wouldn't you!!!!!!!!!
Report timtin April 10, 2015 8:51 PM BST
thank you @trigger3, finally someone who understands where I'm getting at. With a good horse like this you need to think of the greater good and bring racing into public attention. RR has enough money, if he wants to do jumps racing the biggest favour would be to promote Faugheen over different obstacles, distances and tracks, doing a one trick pony is not helping anyone but his trainer & jockey...
Report trigger3 April 10, 2015 9:01 PM BST
Ironically enough Mullins mustn't have have seen him as a CH horse to begin with and in all likelihood he probably seen him as a potential GC horse for the future, otherwise I'm fairly sure he wouldn't have run him in a 3m hurdle race on heavy ground early in his career. Vautour will be given the chance to prove his greatness next season if campaigned over the GC distance and if he proves a success then he will become the poster horse of NH racing. Faugheen may well have the same potential but I guess we won't find out. Nothing wrong with favouring the romantic view over that of the pragmatist.
Report Arklearkle April 10, 2015 10:31 PM BST
re Faugheen - "doing a one trick pony".

Tim I've seen it all here on the forum now!
Report Arklearkle April 21, 2015 4:58 PM BST
Poor Faugheen - Willie says he's like two planks clamped together.
Report timtin April 21, 2015 11:58 PM BST
He never had anything good to say about the horse. He's currently hyping Vautour so much that makes you believe he's the one unbeaten so I don't think he'll ever give Faugheen the chance to go over fences and we'll see the next year CH with only 3-4 horses in it, next week at Punchestown we'll have a walkover so IF Mullins wants to do racing any good he should start testing Faugheen over fences, over Gold Cup distance and at different tracks.
Report trigger3 April 22, 2015 2:31 PM BST
What a shambles we could have at Punchestown next week if the PCH is a 2 horse affair between Faugheen & AF. Mullins might as well just run them round the gallops at home and tell us who is the stronger horse.
Report trigger3 May 1, 2015 5:37 PM BST
I hope that Mullins sends Douvan down the Champion Hurdle route, he is good enough to win a champion hurdle if given the opportunity to do so. I'd then like to see Mullins sending Faugheen chasing this season. He has done all he can hurdling having won on differing grounds, different tracks and over different distances. There is no fun in running in small fields beating the same horses over and over again which is likely what he will be asked to do next season (similar to Hurricane Fly). He has no credible challenegers left in the 2m hurdling division and has nothing left to prove. Alternatively he will have the opportunity to become a super horse if he goes chasing and is still young enough.
Report timtin May 2, 2015 12:48 AM BST

Brian Gleeson: "Dad says the only horse who might, might get close to him is in the same colours, Douvan"
Ruby Walsh: "I'd say Vautour, but he'd never have to get to him"

Chasing career looks over, the dream is dead. Mullins doesn't realizes how good he would do to racing if he sends Faugheen chasing. He never will. For him is only about covering all the basis, is not about horse racing breaking into the wide cultures with these rare athletes. Faugheen is a big story already, imagine if he'll point him to Gold Cup, the public will be fascinated by the story. Right now, even the most passionate racing fans are getting bored seeing Faugheen doing the same thing over and over again, especially since he's winning his races by 5-10 lengths so its a no contest and they need to change the tests but of course that won't happen, they'll keep doing the same one trick pony until everyone gets bored of it.
Report Eeternaloptimist May 2, 2015 1:23 AM BST
Mullins is a farmer. Case in point Annie Power once again running in a mares race. It's an insult to her. She is so much more.
Report Eeternaloptimist May 2, 2015 6:55 PM BST
Like I said. A farmer. Mullins has no interest in the welfare of the game or contributing to its enjoyment for the people who plough the money into the game. He just wants to farm as many decent races as he can and places his horses accordingly. So we get this nonsense. Punchestown is usually one of my favorite festivals of the year but I haven't watched a race this year because I could see what was coming a mile off.
Report Can't Catch Me May 4, 2015 6:55 AM BST
That s a bit of a contradiction in terms EO. Rich Ricci is one of those people who plough money into the game and he is more than happy to see Annie Power dominating her sex. Especially as he has runners in most of the other races you want to see AP running in.
Report Eeternaloptimist May 4, 2015 8:41 PM BST
He as on record last year as stating that AP was going chasing but that she had been kept hurdling to have a go at the Champion Hurdle.
Report timtin May 13, 2015 12:11 AM BST
Somehow they found Faugheen's first win over PTP fences, in a bad quality but here it is:
Report timtin October 12, 2015 11:43 AM BST
Faugheen kept over hurdles, not surprising having so many good ones in chasing department but will any of those win him the Gold Cup? Or has Mullins missed the boat with sending Faugheen novice chasing?
Report buddeliea October 12, 2015 4:56 PM BST
Absolutely nowt wrong with winning the CH again. Also Djakadam came close last time,can see him going real close again in the gold cup.
Report buddeliea October 12, 2015 5:00 PM BST
and he has don poli who some think is a big player in the gold cup,maybe Mullins thinks that as well.
Report timtin October 12, 2015 5:14 PM BST
I can see how Mullins obsession to win many races will send Djakadam to Ryanair.. but that obsession could have also left Arctic Fire for CH and brought Faugheen for JLT or RSA and in case he will not have had won the GC this season with Vautour then he had a backup plan for next season. If Vautour proves good enough to win the GC then Faugheen would've simply reversed to hurdles, if not Faugheen would've target the next season GC.

This way as a trainer he would've covered all the options and keeping Faugheen hurdling you won't be able to send him novice chasing next year as he'll be 8-9 yo and if you don't win the GC with the chase talent that you currently have then you'll never win it so having a backup plan in Faugheen made alot of sense and would provide the sport with great publicity outside the regular fans.

Anyways, Snowed In for the next at Sedgefield ? Happy
Report timtin October 12, 2015 5:21 PM BST
haha Snowed In withdrawn just before the start just like Faugheen from novice chasing .. Whoops
Report Arklearkle October 18, 2015 4:40 PM BST
I reckon Faugheen will sleep soundly tonight. The Wonder One still jumping to the right.
Report Fashion Fever October 20, 2015 9:44 PM BST
sounds like hes as good as last year if not better, excited ruby today

its morgania, christmas hurdle, staright to chelters
Report buddeliea October 21, 2015 7:11 AM BST
not sure he needs to improve anyway,looks a poor lot up against him this season.
Just hope the 4 year olds can step up,otherwise he wins any race they choose to enter him in.
Report timtin October 21, 2015 10:42 AM BST
its arguably a better lot than last year with Nichols Canyon, Peace and Co, MTOY, Arctic Fire, Top Notch and Hargam involved at this stage.
Report buddeliea October 21, 2015 5:26 PM BST
Arguably maybe

But take the 4 year olds out though,and you are left with Arctic fire who has already proved inferior to faugheen,nichoolls canyon who would surprise me if he proved to be a top 2 miler and MTOY whose coming back from injury.
For me it's faugheen against the 4 year olds.
Report scooby91 October 21, 2015 6:58 PM BST
wo underestimate nc at your peril. Always take note of paddies antepost odds and as you can tell they don't want to take a bet on nicholls canyon for the champion, 4 grade one wins,walsh and willie very complimentary about the horse too. Could be another mullins 1 2 3
Nicholls canyon
Arctic fire
Report buddeliea October 21, 2015 9:23 PM BST
Well yes that's possible of course, but imo NC won't line up in the race looks a stayer to
Me, and quiet possibly a darn good one.
Then again if no 4 year olds step up,they may decide to monopolise the CHurdle.
God I really hope that's not the case,and PAC or any of the other 4year olds can prove top notch....ha him as well!!
Certainly won't be a better jumper of a hurdle than top
Notch,that I am pretty sure of.
Report deepingfox October 21, 2015 10:32 PM BST
Budd, Love Top Notch to, I think he's potentially got the quality to be the best of british.  Faugheen the Machine to rule in March though.
Report wellchief October 22, 2015 8:23 AM BST
Any news over Parlour Games? Champion Hurdle / World Hurdle?

On the bare form with Nichols Canyon he isn't too far away. Nichols saw him off quite comfortably at Aintree but that's at the end of a long hard season.

Don't think Parlour would be good enough to win a CH, but he deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as NC, Hargam, Top Notch etc.
Report barnesey October 22, 2015 4:38 PM BST
Parlour games entered for a novice chase at Cheltenham on Saturday chief!
Report wellchief October 22, 2015 4:54 PM BST
Cheers mate, didn't realise he was going chasing! Don't normally associate John Ferguson flat breds as chasers, only 13% of his runners last year were over the larger ones. I thought he'd have a shout at the World Hurdle, as not much to make up with Windsor Park.

Makes the novice chasing division a bit more interesting though. Some useful looking ones this year like him, Douvan, Un Temps Pour Tout, Shaneshill, Alvisio Ville, possibly Vyta du ROC etc.
Report delsie777 October 25, 2015 8:41 PM GMT
Agree with Budd - Nichols Canyon may well end up in the World Hurdle. Can see him sitting at the back all the way round and taking off up the straight - especially if the race is run like last year. Wylie already sounds like he wants to step up to avoid Faugheen
Report scooby91 October 25, 2015 9:57 PM GMT
Nicholls canyon needs riding just 9ff the pace and will 5ake a very good horse to get him of the bit. Pulls and too keen to be held up
Report scooby91 October 25, 2015 10:24 PM GMT
Just to add. to my suprise after backing him for the jlt. Been told by a very good sourrce that shaneshill is to stay over hurdles for at least 1 run, with world hurdle the willie dosent think it was his true running behind kilultagh vic at punchestown. If he dosent get the 3 miles properly this time. Will go chasing 2m4 +
If nicholls canyon is to go for world hurdle, you really think paddies would be top price 14s?
Report delsie777 October 26, 2015 1:30 PM GMT
Just the impression I got listening to Wylie. And when you think about it - why would you want to take on Faugheen? Place money? I think he would want to have Ruby ride ideally and it would only be an injury to Faugheen for that to happen wouldn't it?
Report scooby91 October 26, 2015 1:46 PM GMT
It's good prize money for 2nd and you never know, faugheen could fall, get injured.
Barring that faugheen wins. But I genuinely believe nicholls canyon beats all bar faugheen. Fields likely to get cut up, and for me 20/1 is the best ew bet of the meeting. Shaneshill is wylie hopefully runner in the world hurdle. Even though I think he should go chasing
Report scooby91 October 26, 2015 1:46 PM GMT
It's good prize money for 2nd and you never know, faugheen could fall, get injured.
Barring that faugheen wins. But I genuinely believe nicholls canyon beats all bar faugheen. Fields likely to get cut up, and for me 20/1 is the best ew bet of the meeting. Shaneshill is wylie hopefully runner in the world hurdle. Even though I think he should go chasing
Report scooby91 October 26, 2015 1:47 PM GMT
Listen to wylie interview about shaneshill.
Report scooby91 November 2, 2015 9:51 AM GMT
Faugheen 6/4 with sky bet price boost.
Suprisingly let me have 400 on.
Fair play sky bet.
Report scooby91 November 2, 2015 9:51 AM GMT
Faugheen 6/4 with sky bet price boost.
Suprisingly let me have 400 on.
Fair play sky bet.
Report timtin November 16, 2015 9:17 PM GMT

Oct 21, 2015 -- 4:42AM, timtin wrote:

its arguably a better lot than last year with Nichols Canyon, Peace and Co, MTOY, Arctic Fire, Top Notch and Hargam involved at this stage.

Hate to quote myself again but its true, its a much better lot this year and Ruby said he knew Faugheen weaknesses, well slowly ran races against flat performers like NC rated 110+ is a weakness if the race is set up at a sub-moderate pace. And why did Mullins gave Faugheen a hard prep just few days before Morgiana, leaving NC dead sounds good for reporters but that also means you blow him up for the official race. Oh they should've gone novice chasing and target the GC instead of losing his unbeaten run because Ruby & Mullins screwed things up.. there it goes nothing..

Report Paterson92 November 26, 2015 7:05 PM GMT
Have taken a photo of an article regarding the fitness of Faugheen on his seasonal return. Will upload as soon as it's approved by admin.
Report daveygfc November 26, 2015 8:18 PM GMT
This the one comparing the two photos of punchestown end of last season and last week? Caught it on Twitter. Definitely a big difference. They've thought they could get away with it and were caught out, will improve all year and win again in March.
Report Paterson92 November 26, 2015 9:59 PM GMT
That's the one daveygfc, typically they've still not approved the photo but he is massive. Couldn't agree more with you.
Report duffy November 27, 2015 1:42 AM GMT
I'm confused, are we saying he was as fat as a p1g, but a few days earlier had still managed to smash up NC on the gallops?

He didn't get beat through lack of fitness, he got beat because he bunny hopped the 2nd last as per usual....this time he paid for it.
Report buddeliea November 27, 2015 5:49 AM GMT
But did he smash up NC on the gallops??
We weren't there.
Whatever, I am pretty sure Faugheen will perform a lot better during the season.
Report timtin November 27, 2015 7:54 AM GMT
Why would Mullins and Walsh lie? A horse in that physical shape takes longer to recover, the racecourse gallop didn't helped being so close to the race.
Report daveygfc November 27, 2015 7:59 AM GMT
Ladbrokes going 5/2 for champion hurdle between 1 & 2pm but only letting you have £25 on. I can remember them letting you have more on with these type of offers before. This is more like a Coral offer.

Un de Sceaux same price and stakes if anybody is interested.
Report duffy November 27, 2015 2:28 PM GMT
If an unfit horse with a  great big gut as well as being taken on by a stablemate who is a grade 1 winner = 1/6 I dread to think what he'll be when he's gone on a diet...have we ever had no offers in a CH...can't be any layers in the Mullins stable, that's for sure.
Report duffy November 27, 2015 2:42 PM GMT
Admittedly I'm not a fan..but have a look at the head carriage under pressure too...not the greatest!.....I'm not a fan thoughSilly
Report Paterson92 November 27, 2015 5:07 PM GMT
Report Paterson92 November 27, 2015 5:09 PM GMT
For anyone that hasn't seen it ^
Report duffy November 27, 2015 5:19 PM GMT
Devils advocate, that's all, but the leaner version sees him fully extended so would give a leaner look to it, plus, have we seen a before and after of NC too??
Report gutfeeling November 27, 2015 5:28 PM GMT
Of course he wouldn't have grown either during the off season.
I'd have preferred 2 pictures of him on his debut rather than one at the end of a long season.
Report duffy November 27, 2015 5:52 PM GMT

That's him 1st time out last year in the Ascot Hurdle, doesn't he look woolly and fat...fookers even got stretch marks!!!

He's more extended in this picture too compared to the other day, if he was standing normally, he'd be tripping over that gut :-)
Report gutfeeling November 27, 2015 6:32 PM GMT
Will have to see how he goes nto also how he looks, For me his head carriage & the hanging when put under a forceful ride speak much more than pictures of his waistline Grin
Report grinch November 28, 2015 12:04 AM GMT
how about
(1) Walsh got away with setting fractions in the champion hurdle
(2) this is unlikely to reoccur next March
(3) tried something else not making all
(4) i presume this is how they worked at home
(5) didnt work
(6) back to using his stamins front next time

the horse was always considered a stayer and only after the switch to the 2m at the irish festival(due to vatour missing s days work) was he firmly the 2m from the yard. ridden more for speed .. now back to plan a
just a theory
Report Arklearkle November 28, 2015 11:02 AM GMT
Your slightly contradicting yourself grinch just like others have. Make up your mind is he a sprinter or a stayer. As regards making the running he has only made the running in about 50% of his races so it does not matter to him but a strong pace suits him best
Report wellchief November 28, 2015 11:47 AM GMT
Have to admit that although I'm not quite as quick to forgive him his run against Nichols Canyon, I did find the 5/2 that Ladbrokes dangled too tempting to resist.

Time will tell whether I should have stook with my instinct or whether that was a fantastic early Christmas present!!
Report Arklearkle November 28, 2015 12:37 PM GMT
I missed the 5/2 myself. You can start spending the winnings now Chief (famous last words!!!!)
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Instance ID: 13539

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now