Forums

Cheltenham 2016

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
splinterboy82
12 Nov 13 23:04
| Topic/replies: 54 | Blogger: splinterboy82's blog
Entered on Sunday (17/11/13) over both 2m & 2m6f....
This beast is the one i'm most excited about this season....Mullins new superstar?
Took 20/1 Neptune - Can see this going off 5/4f after hacking up in Ireland all season prior to March 2014.

Think Moyle Park will end up being Mullins Supreme horse & Briar Hill heading for AB...

No need to wait until March when you can guess in November ;-)
Share |
Show More
Report Eeternaloptimist May 2, 2015 1:23 AM BST
Mullins is a farmer. Case in point Annie Power once again running in a mares race. It's an insult to her. She is so much more.
Report Eeternaloptimist May 2, 2015 6:55 PM BST
Like I said. A farmer. Mullins has no interest in the welfare of the game or contributing to its enjoyment for the people who plough the money into the game. He just wants to farm as many decent races as he can and places his horses accordingly. So we get this nonsense. Punchestown is usually one of my favorite festivals of the year but I haven't watched a race this year because I could see what was coming a mile off.
Report Can't Catch Me May 4, 2015 6:55 AM BST
That s a bit of a contradiction in terms EO. Rich Ricci is one of those people who plough money into the game and he is more than happy to see Annie Power dominating her sex. Especially as he has runners in most of the other races you want to see AP running in.
Report Eeternaloptimist May 4, 2015 8:41 PM BST
He as on record last year as stating that AP was going chasing but that she had been kept hurdling to have a go at the Champion Hurdle.
Report timtin May 13, 2015 12:11 AM BST
Somehow they found Faugheen's first win over PTP fences, in a bad quality but here it is: http://www.p2ptv.ie/?tube=1021
Report timtin October 12, 2015 11:43 AM BST
Faugheen kept over hurdles, not surprising having so many good ones in chasing department but will any of those win him the Gold Cup? Or has Mullins missed the boat with sending Faugheen novice chasing?

http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/news/article/2/10025999/faugheen-returns-to-action-at-punchestown
Report buddeliea October 12, 2015 4:56 PM BST
Absolutely nowt wrong with winning the CH again. Also Djakadam came close last time,can see him going real close again in the gold cup.
Report buddeliea October 12, 2015 5:00 PM BST
and he has don poli who some think is a big player in the gold cup,maybe Mullins thinks that as well.
Report timtin October 12, 2015 5:14 PM BST
I can see how Mullins obsession to win many races will send Djakadam to Ryanair.. but that obsession could have also left Arctic Fire for CH and brought Faugheen for JLT or RSA and in case he will not have had won the GC this season with Vautour then he had a backup plan for next season. If Vautour proves good enough to win the GC then Faugheen would've simply reversed to hurdles, if not Faugheen would've target the next season GC.

This way as a trainer he would've covered all the options and keeping Faugheen hurdling you won't be able to send him novice chasing next year as he'll be 8-9 yo and if you don't win the GC with the chase talent that you currently have then you'll never win it so having a backup plan in Faugheen made alot of sense and would provide the sport with great publicity outside the regular fans.

Anyways, Snowed In for the next at Sedgefield ? Happy
Report timtin October 12, 2015 5:21 PM BST
haha Snowed In withdrawn just before the start just like Faugheen from novice chasing .. Whoops
Report Arklearkle October 18, 2015 4:40 PM BST
I reckon Faugheen will sleep soundly tonight. The Wonder One still jumping to the right.
Report Fashion Fever October 20, 2015 9:44 PM BST
sounds like hes as good as last year if not better, excited ruby today

its morgania, christmas hurdle, staright to chelters
Report buddeliea October 21, 2015 7:11 AM BST
not sure he needs to improve anyway,looks a poor lot up against him this season.
Just hope the 4 year olds can step up,otherwise he wins any race they choose to enter him in.
Report timtin October 21, 2015 10:42 AM BST
its arguably a better lot than last year with Nichols Canyon, Peace and Co, MTOY, Arctic Fire, Top Notch and Hargam involved at this stage.
Report buddeliea October 21, 2015 5:26 PM BST
Arguably maybe

But take the 4 year olds out though,and you are left with Arctic fire who has already proved inferior to faugheen,nichoolls canyon who would surprise me if he proved to be a top 2 miler and MTOY whose coming back from injury.
For me it's faugheen against the 4 year olds.
Report scooby91 October 21, 2015 6:58 PM BST
wo underestimate nc at your peril. Always take note of paddies antepost odds and as you can tell they don't want to take a bet on nicholls canyon for the champion, 4 grade one wins,walsh and willie very complimentary about the horse too. Could be another mullins 1 2 3
Faugheen
Nicholls canyon
Arctic fire
Report buddeliea October 21, 2015 9:23 PM BST
Well yes that's possible of course, but imo NC won't line up in the race looks a stayer to
Me, and quiet possibly a darn good one.
Then again if no 4 year olds step up,they may decide to monopolise the CHurdle.
God I really hope that's not the case,and PAC or any of the other 4year olds can prove top notch....ha him as well!!
Certainly won't be a better jumper of a hurdle than top
Notch,that I am pretty sure of.
Report deepingfox October 21, 2015 10:32 PM BST
Budd, Love Top Notch to, I think he's potentially got the quality to be the best of british.  Faugheen the Machine to rule in March though.
Report wellchief October 22, 2015 8:23 AM BST
Any news over Parlour Games? Champion Hurdle / World Hurdle?

On the bare form with Nichols Canyon he isn't too far away. Nichols saw him off quite comfortably at Aintree but that's at the end of a long hard season.

Don't think Parlour would be good enough to win a CH, but he deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as NC, Hargam, Top Notch etc.
Report barnesey October 22, 2015 4:38 PM BST
Parlour games entered for a novice chase at Cheltenham on Saturday chief!
Report wellchief October 22, 2015 4:54 PM BST
Cheers mate, didn't realise he was going chasing! Don't normally associate John Ferguson flat breds as chasers, only 13% of his runners last year were over the larger ones. I thought he'd have a shout at the World Hurdle, as not much to make up with Windsor Park.

Makes the novice chasing division a bit more interesting though. Some useful looking ones this year like him, Douvan, Un Temps Pour Tout, Shaneshill, Alvisio Ville, possibly Vyta du ROC etc.
Report delsie777 October 25, 2015 8:41 PM GMT
Agree with Budd - Nichols Canyon may well end up in the World Hurdle. Can see him sitting at the back all the way round and taking off up the straight - especially if the race is run like last year. Wylie already sounds like he wants to step up to avoid Faugheen
Report scooby91 October 25, 2015 9:57 PM GMT
Nicholls canyon needs riding just 9ff the pace and will 5ake a very good horse to get him of the bit. Pulls and too keen to be held up
Report scooby91 October 25, 2015 10:24 PM GMT
Just to add. to my suprise after backing him for the jlt. Been told by a very good sourrce that shaneshill is to stay over hurdles for at least 1 run, with world hurdle the target.as willie dosent think it was his true running behind kilultagh vic at punchestown. If he dosent get the 3 miles properly this time. Will go chasing 2m4 +
If nicholls canyon is to go for world hurdle, you really think paddies would be top price 14s?
Report delsie777 October 26, 2015 1:30 PM GMT
Just the impression I got listening to Wylie. And when you think about it - why would you want to take on Faugheen? Place money? I think he would want to have Ruby ride ideally and it would only be an injury to Faugheen for that to happen wouldn't it?
Report scooby91 October 26, 2015 1:46 PM GMT
It's good prize money for 2nd and you never know, faugheen could fall, get injured.
Barring that faugheen wins. But I genuinely believe nicholls canyon beats all bar faugheen. Fields likely to get cut up, and for me 20/1 is the best ew bet of the meeting. Shaneshill is wylie hopefully runner in the world hurdle. Even though I think he should go chasing
Report scooby91 October 26, 2015 1:46 PM GMT
It's good prize money for 2nd and you never know, faugheen could fall, get injured.
Barring that faugheen wins. But I genuinely believe nicholls canyon beats all bar faugheen. Fields likely to get cut up, and for me 20/1 is the best ew bet of the meeting. Shaneshill is wylie hopefully runner in the world hurdle. Even though I think he should go chasing
Report scooby91 October 26, 2015 1:47 PM GMT
Listen to wylie interview about shaneshill.
Report scooby91 November 2, 2015 9:51 AM GMT
Faugheen 6/4 with sky bet price boost.
Suprisingly let me have 400 on.
Fair play sky bet.
Report scooby91 November 2, 2015 9:51 AM GMT
Faugheen 6/4 with sky bet price boost.
Suprisingly let me have 400 on.
Fair play sky bet.
Report timtin November 16, 2015 9:17 PM GMT

Oct 21, 2015 -- 4:42AM, timtin wrote:

its arguably a better lot than last year with Nichols Canyon, Peace and Co, MTOY, Arctic Fire, Top Notch and Hargam involved at this stage.

Hate to quote myself again but its true, its a much better lot this year and Ruby said he knew Faugheen weaknesses, well slowly ran races against flat performers like NC rated 110+ is a weakness if the race is set up at a sub-moderate pace. And why did Mullins gave Faugheen a hard prep just few days before Morgiana, leaving NC dead sounds good for reporters but that also means you blow him up for the official race. Oh they should've gone novice chasing and target the GC instead of losing his unbeaten run because Ruby & Mullins screwed things up.. there it goes nothing..

Report Paterson92 November 26, 2015 7:05 PM GMT
Have taken a photo of an article regarding the fitness of Faugheen on his seasonal return. Will upload as soon as it's approved by admin.
Report daveygfc November 26, 2015 8:18 PM GMT
This the one comparing the two photos of punchestown end of last season and last week? Caught it on Twitter. Definitely a big difference. They've thought they could get away with it and were caught out, will improve all year and win again in March.
Report Paterson92 November 26, 2015 9:59 PM GMT
That's the one daveygfc, typically they've still not approved the photo but he is massive. Couldn't agree more with you.
Report duffy November 27, 2015 1:42 AM GMT
I'm confused, are we saying he was as fat as a p1g, but a few days earlier had still managed to smash up NC on the gallops?

He didn't get beat through lack of fitness, he got beat because he bunny hopped the 2nd last as per usual....this time he paid for it.
Report buddeliea November 27, 2015 5:49 AM GMT
But did he smash up NC on the gallops??
We weren't there.
Whatever, I am pretty sure Faugheen will perform a lot better during the season.
Report timtin November 27, 2015 7:54 AM GMT
Why would Mullins and Walsh lie? A horse in that physical shape takes longer to recover, the racecourse gallop didn't helped being so close to the race.
Report daveygfc November 27, 2015 7:59 AM GMT
Ladbrokes going 5/2 for champion hurdle between 1 & 2pm but only letting you have £25 on. I can remember them letting you have more on with these type of offers before. This is more like a Coral offer.

Un de Sceaux same price and stakes if anybody is interested.
Report duffy November 27, 2015 2:28 PM GMT
If an unfit horse with a  great big gut as well as being taken on by a stablemate who is a grade 1 winner = 1/6 I dread to think what he'll be when he's gone on a diet...have we ever had no offers in a CH...can't be any layers in the Mullins stable, that's for sure.
Report duffy November 27, 2015 2:42 PM GMT
Admittedly I'm not a fan..but have a look at the head carriage under pressure too...not the greatest!.....I'm not a fan thoughSilly
Report Paterson92 November 27, 2015 5:07 PM GMT
Report Paterson92 November 27, 2015 5:09 PM GMT
For anyone that hasn't seen it ^
Report duffy November 27, 2015 5:19 PM GMT
Devils advocate, that's all, but the leaner version sees him fully extended so would give a leaner look to it, plus, have we seen a before and after of NC too??
Report gutfeeling November 27, 2015 5:28 PM GMT
Of course he wouldn't have grown either during the off season.
I'd have preferred 2 pictures of him on his debut rather than one at the end of a long season.
Report duffy November 27, 2015 5:52 PM GMT
http://cdn.images.dailystar.co.uk/dynamic/59/photos/555000/620x/174555.jpg

That's him 1st time out last year in the Ascot Hurdle, doesn't he look woolly and fat...fookers even got stretch marks!!!

He's more extended in this picture too compared to the other day, if he was standing normally, he'd be tripping over that gut :-)
Report gutfeeling November 27, 2015 6:32 PM GMT
Will have to see how he goes nto also how he looks, For me his head carriage & the hanging when put under a forceful ride speak much more than pictures of his waistline Grin
Report grinch November 28, 2015 12:04 AM GMT
how about
(1) Walsh got away with setting fractions in the champion hurdle
(2) this is unlikely to reoccur next March
(3) tried something else not making all
(4) i presume this is how they worked at home
(5) didnt work
(6) back to using his stamins front next time

the horse was always considered a stayer and only after the switch to the 2m at the irish festival(due to vatour missing s days work) was he firmly the 2m from the yard. ridden more for speed .. now back to plan a
just a theory
Report Arklearkle November 28, 2015 11:02 AM GMT
Your slightly contradicting yourself grinch just like others have. Make up your mind is he a sprinter or a stayer. As regards making the running he has only made the running in about 50% of his races so it does not matter to him but a strong pace suits him best
Report wellchief November 28, 2015 11:47 AM GMT
Have to admit that although I'm not quite as quick to forgive him his run against Nichols Canyon, I did find the 5/2 that Ladbrokes dangled too tempting to resist.

Time will tell whether I should have stook with my instinct or whether that was a fantastic early Christmas present!!
Report Arklearkle November 28, 2015 12:37 PM GMT
I missed the 5/2 myself. You can start spending the winnings now Chief (famous last words!!!!)
Report daveygfc December 1, 2015 12:47 AM GMT
On the RP podcast Tom Segal said you'll probably get Faugheen around 5/2 on Champion Hurdle day. Even with price enhancements I find that hard to believe. Hacks up at Kempton over Christmas and he'll be cut again to near evens by the bookies wether rightly or wrongly.
Report timtin December 1, 2015 1:44 AM GMT
maybe Segal assumed he'll lose at Christmas but it depends alot on who he meets and if he'll get a prep race before the CH. Its a long way to go but I'll fill everything I got with the 6/4 available now, a Christmas present for mid-March Grin Otherwise if he loses the Christmas Hurdle the CH price is irrelevant as Mullins will send him for the Stayers hurdle and hopefully next year what he was bred -> chasing and Gold Cup Excited
Report Arklearkle December 12, 2015 3:08 PM GMT
Faugheen sleeps soundly tonight. They dont gallop Semper Medici with the good ones at Willies he would get in their way!
Report timtin December 12, 2015 3:34 PM GMT
I wouldn't take P&C run at face value, he was how many lengths ahead of Hargam in the Triumph ? Saying that I won't take anything away from Old Guard, he battld like a fighter and could find even more improvement come March.
Report blarney December 13, 2015 12:37 PM GMT
Nothing to worry Faugheen so far this season. Looks a big price at anything above evens.....
Report Paterson92 December 13, 2015 7:14 PM GMT
blarney have you been sleeping the last month? The last I checked he got turned over by a stable mate and buckled under pressure with an awkward head carriage ... surely that's not "nothing to worry Faugheen so far this season". Were you meaning from Britain?
Report timtin December 13, 2015 10:05 PM GMT
Paterson92, I know where you're coming from regarding those that keep saying Faugheen has nothing to worry, or lose any sleep over, etc. Its ridiculous. I think he needs to prove he's at least in the form of last year when he'll go to Kempton. But saying that do you think that Faugheen ran to form in the Morgiana? Or that he has some undiscovered injuries that made him hang right?
I believe that a horse at the start of the season won't run at his peak, especially if he has almost 2 races in a short space of time. Faugheen did last year a gallop at Curragh, just like this year, but he took him 2 weeks after that to get to Ascot, it took only 4 days this year for Morgiana. By Mullins report this year he destroyed Nichols and before the race both him and Ruby said in all interviews Faugheen did a really good piece of work. The couple dozens of watchers at Curragh also explain his price steam from 2/7 into 1/4 1/5 with few days till Morgiana. I will say that on all evidence he basically had a half race that day. Combine that with how big he looked still, and with the fact that unlike last year at Ascot, this time he took on a top class novice who won all but one of his G1 hurdles(u/r when winning another), with flat speed and the highest ever that was sent hurdling, that was allowed to dictate the pace but not doing even fractions upfront and with Wicklow Brave still in contention at the turn, means the pace was on the slow side. They made a sprint for home who didn't advanged Faugheen at all, and coupled with the mistake 2 out and hanging right, he still only got beat by half a length. I think Nichols Canyon, just like I said about Arctic after the CH, will struggle to get within 5-6 lengths of a fully race fit Faugheen in a strongly run race.
Based on all the above I also believe that 6/4 is a fantastic price and I filled by boots and I will continue with those that offer it, but I do have concerns on how he'll run at Kempton, the couple of smart improvers this season like Top Notch, Old Guard and Identity Thief are very underestimated, even P&C is underestimated now. And the 'old guard' MTOY(runner-up in `14 CH) and The New One(even without the pathetic injury excuse that his fans use) are also underestimated. Ruby said in a blog he underestimated Nichols Canyon and he'll never do it again, but who will he underestimate next?
Report Paterson92 December 13, 2015 11:09 PM GMT
All very good points you make timtim. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Faugheen fan. He got away with his weight in the lead up to Cheltenham last year due to the lack of quality opposition. I can't find the official quote but I specifically remember Skelton saddling him at Kempton and saying he's never seen a horse as big ahead of a big race. It's no secret that Ricci asks Willie to have his horses peak in the spring (see photo I posted about 10 posts back and on that evidence he should improve a hell of a lot). I also believe not to look into seasonal reappearances too much and also believe that Faugheen (assuming he is okay) would beat Nichols Canyon if they were to meet again, regardless of tactics or ground. BUT, Mullins was confident stating that Faugheen had worked all over him at home in a piece of work they done in the lead up to the race. Afterwards, he stated he was shocked and that NC obviously saves his best work for the racecourse. That's fair enough, perhaps he does. However even as a Faugheen fan, the more I watch the race, the more concerned I am. Regardless of size, he hasn't ran to last years form. I wouldn't have been surprised had WB finished so close to NC, but the fact he got as close to Faugheen is concerning. At the time I thought perhaps WB had improved over hurdles, however his subsequent run in the Fighting Fifth was disappointing in similar conditions. NC done what someone should have done in the Champion Hurdle and that's test Faugheen's jumping. That's exactly what happened and he was in danger a long way from home. Will they let Ruby have his own way out in front again? Not a chance! He never travelled at all, hung badly and didn't pick up as he usually does - this is after reportedly working well at home. A below par performance and serious question marks now.
Report timtin December 14, 2015 12:04 AM GMT
Yes Mullins did state Faugheen worked all over him, as I said above they took them at Curragh where couple of dozens of watchers saw the great piece of gallop. Faugheen had almost a race beating Nichols senselessly but the latter keeps to himself apparently. Only after this gallop Mullins and Ruby gave interviews and said they were happy with how he's working, Ruby blog: "John Codd, who rides him at home, kept on telling us he’s in great form, and we saw that for ourselves on Tuesday". But then after only 4 days Faugheen was asked for another race which probably would've been fine if the correct tactics had been used or if this had been the middle of the season when he was 100% fit and the stamina/muscles recovery takes less time than when coming back from so long off training. The closeness of WB only justifies the lack of a strong pace and the fact he was in contention at the turn shows that form is unreliable. We've seen where WB would finish in a evenly run race like Top Notch and Identity Thief assured in the Fighting Fifth. The fact that Faugheen didn't picked and hanged was due to the fact he just had almost another race and was tired. Therefore I'm not at all concerned about Morgiana, he has plenty of class for any generation and if he shows it in the Christmas Hurdle the 6/4 will look big but I know the dangers are there and plenty, they're just underestimated.
Report Paterson92 December 14, 2015 12:22 AM GMT
Until now that's the first I've heard of the 4 day gap between the witnessed workout and the Morgiana, thanks for sharing. I just can't bring myself to back him at the current price after what I witnessed last time. I would rather wait and see what Faugheen brings to Kempton. Unfortunately it's likely he will be evens or less afterwards if all goes to plan. He owes me nothing after his Neptune and Champion Hurdle wins as he's been my main ante post bet for the last 2 years, but sitting out this time. Will of course be cheering him on regardless, best of luck!
Report timtin December 14, 2015 12:45 AM GMT
Thats not only my assumption that Faugheen did too much, it was also Mullins who just after the race said that maybe Faugheen "left his race behind" as he destroyed Nichols Canyon on Tuesday. So live and learn, going to the track must've switched his brain in racing mode and even though they did the same gallop last year maybe he didn't worked himself out that much probably as he was too fat and the Ascot race was 2-3 weeks later so it wouldn't have affected him anyway. The Morgiana form already proved unreliable so for me thats enough to dismiss the run, but Faugheen will need to prove on Christmas that he maintains his last season form and beat TNO by at least 4-5 lengths(if Ruby asks him). Anything less would be concerning for my 6/4 supposed value.
Report scooby91 December 20, 2015 5:52 PM GMT
I'm very happy to see old guard is entered for the Christmas hurdle and is a likely runner. he's due a sound beating by faugheen. anyone whos backed him good luck to them but I can't have old guard being in the frame for a champion.
A mullins 123 for me.
Report timtin December 20, 2015 11:15 PM GMT
apparently he's keen at home and the race only has 4 runners so `why not` is Nicholls thinking. It should be noted that Kempton is not Chelt and horses don't improve in 1-2 weeks, by Festival time he might well improve another 5-10 pounds but atm I can't see how he'll get involved with either TNO or Faugheen.
Report Arklearkle December 29, 2015 2:59 PM GMT
Nichols Canyon gave it all there. Due to a combination of factors he beat Faugheen last time but imo not capable of lacing the great ones shoes.
Report The Dragon December 29, 2015 4:13 PM GMT
im on identity thief ew at 25/1, faugheen should win but its no price
Report Arklearkle December 29, 2015 4:18 PM GMT
Good bet Dragon. The good thing about backing one at those odds is you dont have to risk the house to have a good win. Besides there are no certainties in racing. Annie Power who was streets ahead of her opponents proved that.
Report The Dragon December 29, 2015 4:33 PM GMT
yes arkle was impressed with its win before running in ireland today so had a punt then. ran well again today pity it couldn't just see off nicholls canyon
Report buddeliea December 29, 2015 5:22 PM GMT
Thief was available at 33 after the Fighting Fifth,could not believe it,and after today I am rather pleased.
He will be better on better ground.
Quiet excited about this one.
Report Eeternaloptimist December 29, 2015 6:05 PM GMT
Was travelling like the better horse and my guess is that on better ground Thief may be slightly superior. 25-1 is a nice price.
Report blackballed1 January 10, 2016 8:19 PM GMT
Nichols canyon all the way for me folks! This horse has all you would want! Goes on any ground and is rock solid eway material and will do for me! Like I said on another thread I didn't usually do antepost but I have with this fella. Like a few have said no certs in life so faugheen at odds on not for me with the up and comers snapping at his heels and I can certainly see the case for identity thief having a shout but for me I don't see him turning the tables on canyon! Had his chance at Xmas and by the line Nichols was pulling away from him.
Report timtin January 11, 2016 1:09 AM GMT
I don't know about NC, the next time they'll meet the inclination of his jockey will be to take on Faugheen and as of yet there isn't a horse that stayed on Faugheen's pace upfront without affecting their own chances. The only exceptions are his seasons reappearances when he was either setting- Ascot `14 or following - Ptown `15 a moderate pace that didn't affected anyone other than himself, only beating 3 lengths Blue Fashion and then getting beat half a length, admittedly by a v good horse. Of course the seasonal debuts also coincided with Faugheen's worst fitness and this season also with a hard gallop only 4-5 days prior to the race itself.

But the tendency of NC jockey will be to stay with Faugheen and that will of course be a mistake, the only way realistically to beat him is to wait off the pace but not to far back, and have a good enough horse that can come forward in the last furlongs with plenty of energy to combat Faugheen's turn of foot. The only horses that have that class are AF, MTOY and P&C. The last 2 named if they can finally settle off a good pace, set by Top Notch and Nichols Canyon, then they could trouble the favourite. But if IT is given a good ride he can improve by March on better ground. NC could again show battling qualities and stay on, but so could TN. Getting the right tricast on this requires either a genius or a very lucky punter.
Report blackballed1 January 11, 2016 7:34 AM GMT
I think nichols has to be ridden up front as his worst performance was in the Neptune when ruby himself said he should have made more use of him. Every other race he has been up front and won every race! I think faugheen is a better horse but just on the price nichols canyon has to be the play eway as he is the only 1 to beat faugheen Artic fire has had a few chances now and not really got that close to think he will beat him at any point! and I take the view that nichols canyon beat him fair and square they would have been as fit as each other that day! I love horses that win with class but I love ones even more that when it comes to a hardy battle you know your still in with a shout brave inca style! Might still not be enough to win but that's the joys of punting.
Report delsie777 January 18, 2016 3:49 PM GMT
I see PP have edged Faugheen out still further for the Irish Champion at the weekend - - also longest by some way for AF. Looking more and more like a WPM is going to award Nichols Canyon a penalty!
Report trigger3 January 24, 2016 3:26 PM GMT
Wow, just elevated himself to another level, demolishing some good animals in the process.
Report Fashion Fever January 24, 2016 3:30 PM GMT
looked his best performance

no point in anything else turning up
Report timtin January 24, 2016 3:31 PM GMT
Thats how the best horse looks like, beating top class animals by dozen of lengths. Mullins learned a valuable lesson in Morgiana, don't give the horse a ****g hard work just 4 days before an official race against a v good horse. Ruby was also reminded that Faugheen is a 3 miler, and doesn't want a dawdle over 2 miles to see him at his best. Job done today at least and with a prep race now first time in 3 seasons fans will be hopeful to see an even better performance at Cheltenham.
Report duffy January 24, 2016 3:32 PM GMT
My inclination was always to try and take this beast on, to my cost, that was the best I've ever seen from him and I think now, belatedly I finally get it.Crazy
Report trigger3 January 24, 2016 3:33 PM GMT
Could end up a very small CH field with most horses just riding to get a place.
Report impossible123 January 24, 2016 4:05 PM GMT
That was awesome! Looks increasingly like a Mullins Benevolent Day on 15th March.
Report timtin January 24, 2016 4:16 PM GMT
Was 6th spot trending on Twitter in the last hour, now 7th spot. Not his usual 1st but horses rarely get into general discussions over there.

@duffy I've been describing that before CH win(proven right when McCoy said it was mistake attacking him so early) and also few posts above when talking about NC. Its about time people start to accept it Happy
Report trigger3 January 24, 2016 4:23 PM GMT
Where does he sit among the great hurdles? For me he was already better than Hurricane Fly before today and if he wins the CH again this year he is capable of elevating himself up among Istabraq and some of the other greats that won multiple CHs. Visually his cruising speed is massive and he simply burns off other horses often leaving permanent scars if they try and stay with him.
Report Mooono January 24, 2016 4:58 PM GMT
Makes you wonder how many mars bars Willie fed Faugheeen before the Morgiana hurdle, disgusting!
Report Autocue January 24, 2016 5:07 PM GMT
Marvellous performance today but again Ruby was given a soft lead. Presumably the other stable jockeys were riding to instructions. The only chink in Faugheen's armour is his jumping (took the last on all fours). I doubt anyone will be brave enough to try and put it under pressure at Cheltenham. I suppose Peace & Co might for half a lap regardless of what his jockey wants him to do Grin
Report timtin January 24, 2016 5:51 PM GMT

Jan 24, 2016 -- 10:23AM, trigger3 wrote:

Where does he sit among the great hurdles? For me he was already better than Hurricane Fly before today and if he wins the CH again this year he is capable of elevating himself up among Istabraq and some of the other greats that won multiple CHs. Visually his cruising speed is massive and he simply burns off other horses often leaving permanent scars if they try and stay with him.

I've defended Istabraq form so many times but Faugheen's better, and more talented as well, a pointer who won a now G2 race over 3 miles to have the pace to achieve so much over the minimum trip is speechless. He was designed for GC this horse, not for CH and yet he defies his pedigree and puts up 180+ performance over 2 miles with Ruby stopping him in the last 100 yards. All periods with their champions though and Faugheen needs to continue his winning run... until his first race next season Laugh

Report buddeliea January 24, 2016 5:55 PM GMT
Don't let's have another debate that can't be proven either way,it' always involves needless criticism of great horses.
Let's just enjoy Faugheen.
Report timtin January 26, 2016 10:43 AM GMT
Its pointless @budd but from the RPR ratings point of view Istabraq only has 2 performances that are rated higher than Faugheen, one was in the Punchestown CH beating a G2 horse Decoupage by 3 lengths giving him 5 pounds, and the other was in a `99 Tipperary race beating Limestone Lad by 7 lengths who burned himself out trying to make all from the front on a muddiest mud ground.

All handicappers have taken a hell of a conservative view on Sunday run but that was the best 2 mile performance I've seen and don't think any former champion hurdlers would've better it. Remember Walsh could've forced Faugheen to go even further in the last half furlong but never asked him any serious questions.
Report Autocue January 26, 2016 10:58 AM GMT
You have to take account of the opposition. How many championship races have Nichols Canyon and Arctic Fire won in open company?
Report timtin January 26, 2016 11:30 AM GMT
there's only 4 championship races in the calendar, only 1 over 2 miles hurdles. AF would've been champion by 5 lengths from 2 former champions HF and Jezki last year without Faugheen. What is certain is that both are proper G1 horses.
Report Autocue January 26, 2016 5:38 PM GMT
That's a very Anglocentric response.
Report timtin January 26, 2016 6:00 PM GMT
Thats where the best horses meet, its the of "Royal Ascot of jump racing" as a newspaper in the 1910s described it, its where Ireland gain momentum over the decades and started to come over and conquer England, its where France AQPS horses used to come over and compete(Le Paillon was even second in the CH before winning the Arc de Triomphe the same year) before they began selling to Irish or English owners most of their quality jump horses in recent times. Its the world cup of football and its where Arctic Fire showed he's a G1 horse in the main championship event of 2 mile hurdles of the season. AF then confirmed his G1 quality at Aintree when travelling all over Jezki before falling at the last. NC won all the important novice races outside of Cheltenham and he beat IT in the Leop'town Ryanair Hurdle last month, who in turn IT won the England's G1 Fighting Fifth, therefore NC is also a proper G1 horse even though he didn't win a race at the festival. I can't be anglocentric by defending NC or IT race records outside of the festival, or Faugheen (IRE) for that matter, can I?
Report SoYouThink January 27, 2016 10:29 AM GMT
I see Faugheen received an OR of 176 from the Irish handicapper. Do people think he'll improve on that again in the Champion Hurdle? Personally I think he ran his Champion Hurdle last Sunday and it's more likely he'll to run to something like low 170s in March (faster ground, bigger field, contested lead - all these things considered I think conditions will be that little bit less favourable). Not that there's anything to beat him. My Tent or Yours and Arctic Fire are the only ones close to him on the figures. I think if you're like me and you like to oppose such short-priced favourites, My Tent or Yours is the obvious one. It would certainly make the race exciting if you could tell after a furlong or two that he had settled.
Report timtin January 27, 2016 11:05 AM GMT
I think P&C has an entry this Saturday and he may reach bigger ratings than what MTOY will be capable after being sidelined for almost 2 years. As for Faugheen he's improving with every run and that 176 is highly conservative view, beating an 166 animal, admittedly not at his best by 15 lengths, with a further 13 lengths back to an 160 one, again not at his best, but eased off and not extended would be a crime if Faugheen would run in handicaps. I think Phil Smith of BHA would take a fairer view on that performance because he's not afraid of being ridiculed by Istabraq legions. I hope Top Notch would be up there and give P&C and MTOY the chance of settling and give Faugheen th chance to replicate or improve last Sunday performance.
Report duffy January 27, 2016 11:38 AM GMT
If I knew MTOY's had learned to settle I'd be backing him as a credible opponent to Faugheen, however I read a quote somewhere a few weeks back where Hendo hinted that he was still very keen, in that case he'll pull his chance away as even Faugheen won't set a strong enough pace early on for him.
Report SoYouThink January 27, 2016 12:15 PM GMT
It certainly is in Henderson's interests to have a fast pace and also hopefully something gives Faugheen a bit more hassle for the lead, if only for the first mile. It's stating the obvious that it's hard to see Faugheen getting beat but hopefully they go out and try and race him for as long as they can rather than letting Ruby have it his own way. Also on that point, I often wonder if a lot of these young jockeys are intimidated by Ruby. Bar Geraghty, I'd nearly say he'd have everyone else half-afraid to make life awkward for him.
Report duffy January 27, 2016 1:29 PM GMT
^
good point that one, he deffo comes across as being an abrasive type character, no surprise that many in the weighing room are probably intimidated by him.
Report FOYLESWAR January 27, 2016 1:34 PM GMT
I said something similar regarding the intimimidation factor on the un de scaux thread
Report impossible123 January 27, 2016 2:25 PM GMT
Just give MTOY a few doses of Kalms before the race - it gives humans the desired effect!
Report wellchief January 27, 2016 5:13 PM GMT
The tactics of the Champion Hurdle running will be fascinating.  I think barring an injury or a fall, it's very hard seeing Faugheen getting beat, but it's how the others run that interests me.

If some go off with the intention of trying to beat Faugheen (ie Nicholls Canyon the other day) then they'll probably be cooked turning for home, and could easily be unplaced.

However, if they go off, and kind of accept that they can't live with Faugheen, there could be a brilliant race in behind.  Arctic Fire's run the other day was a lot more of a patient ride, and the jockey didn't really go after him, but he was there to mop up the pieces after Nichols Canyon had burned himself out.

Therefore, there may be a strange placing or two, because if P&C, MTOY, Nichols Canyon etc go for the win and take Faugheen on, it could easily be one of the forgotten ones (ie The New One, Identity Thief) who could pick up the places going past beaten horses up the run in.
Report duffy January 27, 2016 5:30 PM GMT
You could easily see Top Notch being the sacrificial lamb for P&C with MTOY's being an added beneficiary, not sure how long he'll stick with Faugheen but could mess him up a bit, however if P&C pulls like he did the other day he might end up having to be let loose and that'll help MTOY's too.

That was really strange how P&C pulled like that the other day, it was as bad as I've seen in a long long time.
Report duffy January 27, 2016 5:34 PM GMT
The crying shame and an unfulfilled talent is MTOY's because as much as he pulls, he still finishes his race off pretty well considering, if he had settled he'd have already been a supreme and CH winner IMO, looking forward to seeing him back, hopefully he gets there.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now