Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Zazu
28 Jul 17 15:46
| Topic/replies: 4,336 | Blogger: Zazu's blog
With Selby next anyway is he just be lazy or do people believe he genuinely can't make weight?
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View Frampton 1lb overweight
Show More
Report Des Pond July 28, 2017 6:00 PM BST
It would be unfair to call him lazy, imo. The sacrifices needed to stay in condition at world level are not to be taken lightly. However, he didn't seem to be all that surprised or upset at misssing the weight. It's difficult to tell how his motivation levels are, now, having achieved his ambitions and made a lot of money at his age. It's also hard to tell how much the loss to Santa Cruz might have affected his confidence. My guess is that a financial decision has been made to target a fight with Selby, which will make him a lot more money than the next logical progression (if he beats Gutierrez) of a Title fight with Gary Russel Jnr, as well as an arguably more winnable fight. Frampton doesn't strike me as the sort to keep on fighting well into his thirties, just for the love of it. He will make as much money as he can, then retire while he is still in good health. Which is the sensible approach for a boxer in Frampton's position (it is different for fighters in poorer countries who don't have that luxury, but who would blame any boxer for maximising their income and minimising the risks if their circumstancs allow them to do so.) Another issue is, if Frampton and his team are short-changing their loyal fans, who will have paid a lot of money to see him at his best. However, he has apologised for missing the weight, and should still be able to put on a good show against Gutierrez, who is a tough aggresive fighter, albeit a bit slow and flat-footed.
Report vidou July 28, 2017 8:44 PM BST
Disgraceful that Shane McGuigan let his fighter come out 1lb over - this was supposed to be a title eliminator but now Frampton has thrown the towel in on that and the fans have been short-changed.
He may have other options but no fighter should ever come in overweight unless its been engineered by their trainer and then its totally underhand and manufactured.
I like Frampton a lot but why did McGuigan take him to America for a return with Santa Cruz when he had other more realistic options...? Money spoke and Carl lost his unbeaten record just like McGuigan all those years ago.
Greed over practicality.
Report tictacman1 July 28, 2017 10:55 PM BST
Carl Frampton's fight against Andres Gutierrez has been cancelled because of injuries suffered by the Mexican after slipping in the shower.

Gutierrez suffered facial cuts, bruising to the head and broke two teeth in the accident 24 hours before Saturday's showdown in Belfast.

It followed drama at Friday's weigh-in in Belfast when Frampton came in a pound over the featherweight limit.

The fight was no longer a WBC title eliminator for Frampton.

"Cyclone Promotions and The SSE Arena regret to announce that the "Return of The Jackal" event has been cancelled due to an accident to Andres Gutierrez," they stated on Friday night.

"It is hoped that the event will be re-scheduled but ticket holders are advised to retain their tickets and contact point of purchase for further information.
Report wisewords July 29, 2017 3:07 AM BST
what the hell went on here? first Carl decides not to make the weight and now Gutierrez his teeth in the shower!?
Report Zazu July 29, 2017 3:20 AM BST
Comical scenes
Report Zazu July 29, 2017 3:20 AM BST
Comical scenes
Report Des Pond July 29, 2017 2:40 PM BST
I knew his footwork wasn't great, but that's ridiculous. Grin Seriously, though, this must be gutting for the fans. I'm assuming the whole event will be cancelled, as there was bugger all on the undercard worth watching. Maybe promoters, in future, will try to provide stronger undercards for events like this. That way they might be able to put the show on, even when the headline fight has to be called off.
On the positive side, some interesting fights later, Stateside. Charlo will be looking to make a big statement on his 160 lb debut, Mikey vs Broner (wonder what sort of shape broner's in, mentally), a potentially fascinating contest between the two big heavies Washington and Miller (I like "big baby" for the stoppage, Washington is the better boxer, but lacks aggresion and mental resilience, i  reckon). And of course, the extremely promising Tramaine Williams later on (though, i doubt I'll be able to see it live, unfortunately). Rau'shee Warren will have a fight on his hands against Arroyo at light bantam, as well.
Report OwnBrain July 29, 2017 2:58 PM BST
Slipped on the soap i here
Shane planted them all over the
hotel showers.
Report Des Pond July 29, 2017 3:21 PM BST
Hey, ownbrain. After your Josh Taylor prediction, maybe I should be asking for your predictions for tonight's fights. MischiefGrin
Report OwnBrain July 29, 2017 4:17 PM BST
They all fekcing cancelled Laugh

Only got Got Garcia stoppage 1-12 so far

Might do Miller/Garcia double outright

What you fancy and what site you using for Boxing
Report OwnBrain July 29, 2017 4:20 PM BST
I think Katie Powa Taylor could
pull of an upset  Mischief
three is £3 matched at 1.01 Laugh

Garcia Garcia by KO, TKO or DQ matched from 1.7
to 6 now roughly 3.7.Crazy people out in
that vegas heat.
Report OwnBrain July 29, 2017 4:22 PM BST
NY even Laugh
Report OwnBrain July 29, 2017 4:26 PM BST
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01D736tOzLI

Robert Garcia Goes Off On Leonard Ellerbe "**** THAT MOTHERxxxxxxx!, ****G Pxxxx"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-Zf3LntR_4

Mayweather and Leonard Ellerbe - Sometimes When We Touch (Pacquiao Remix) Laugh

Is this why Garcia don't like nim as well
as the gloves.
Report OwnBrain July 29, 2017 4:28 PM BST
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwkH-La-moA

Floyd Mayweather Jr. hearts Leonard Ellerbe
Report Des Pond July 29, 2017 4:33 PM BST
Mikey should win, but you never know with Broner, a bit of a wasted talent, imo. Miller by KO is decent value, Washington boxed well for a few rounds against Wilder, but then as soon as Wilder woke up and started hitting him, he crumbled. Wilder hits like a steamhammer, though. Miller is an aggressive SOB, and also heavy-handed, though he carries too much weight and may have stamina issues. Still I think he can stop Washington. I expect Charlo to win by KO. although the 1.3 is not that attractive. I rate Charlo highly and I think he could beat just about anyone at 160. Tramaine Williams is an exceptional talent, and will be something special if he can get his head sorted. His fights haven't had much coverage yet, so we might have to watch him on YouTube, or something, until the he gets on the bigger shows.
Report Des Pond July 29, 2017 4:40 PM BST
As for which sites, i use. I catch up with most fights on Youtube, because it seems to be the largest array of footage available. Although a lot of the comments from wannabe fake "gangstas" and the like can be a bit wearing to say the least. Best to ignore them and watch the fights without sound, as some of the commentators are pretty clueless. generally, i just rely on my vast reservoir of knowledge, and usually sound instincts. MischiefGrinLaugh
Report OwnBrain July 29, 2017 4:44 PM BST
Good few fights in America tonight that's for sure
i agree Broner fecked up as soon as he started
thinking he was Floyd.He may be surprise people
tonight as when Madiana rocked him he got back
into the fight.But think Mikey hits harder.One
shot could end the Billions fella.
Report OwnBrain July 29, 2017 4:46 PM BST
Yeah i don't comment on Youtube seems
full of kids.They just go with the man
they like best.Calling each other this and
that.
Report OwnBrain July 29, 2017 4:51 PM BST
Any odds about for Tramaine Williams
Report Des Pond July 29, 2017 4:51 PM BST
Yes. you're right about youtube the opinions are extremely partisan and unbalanced, but since it's got most of the boxing footage, i suppose you have to put up with it. Personally I'm just glad to be able to watch so many fighters without having to dig out DVD's or videos.
Report OwnBrain July 29, 2017 4:53 PM BST
without having to dig out DVD's or videos.Laugh

Youtube is all about you a Pactrad you a Flomo
Ma boy will beat your boys ass Grin
Report OwnBrain July 29, 2017 4:55 PM BST
Still best place though to watch fights
any idea why boxing forum 24 closed down?
Report Des Pond July 29, 2017 4:55 PM BST
Nah, can't see anything for Willaiams. he's not on the radar, just yet. He's the sort who will beat anyone, until he meets another elite fighter, then you'll see how good his chin is. Until then you'll either get a very poor price or no price at all. The bookies don't lay for fighters they are not aware of yet, and it's unlikely that many punters will know about him until the word spreads. I am very excited about the kid, though.
Report Des Pond July 29, 2017 4:58 PM BST
probably because of people getting carried away and getting abusive to one another. You also get some racist and mysogonistic stuff, and the usual "tribal" rivalries that can get out of hand.
Report Des Pond July 29, 2017 4:59 PM BST

Jul 29, 2017 -- 4:53PM, OwnBrain wrote:

without having to dig out DVD's or videos.Youtube is all about you a Pactrad you a Flomo Ma boy will beat your boys ass

I am getting on a bit, OB. Laugh

Report OwnBrain July 29, 2017 5:02 PM BST
Yeah was plenty racism on that site
may come back with some sort of other
now and again and heard of boxers i would never
have known.
Report OwnBrain July 29, 2017 5:04 PM BST
Des Pond 29 Jul 17 16:59 Joined: 19 Aug 06 | Topic/replies: 4,844 | Blogger: Des Pond's blog
Jul 29, 2017 -- 4:53PM, OwnBrain wrote:

without having to dig out DVD's or videos.Youtube is all about you a Pactrad you a Flomo Ma boy will beat your boys ass

I am getting on a bit, OB. Laugh

nothing wrong with the old VHS just
take your eye of or you will need to
re-wind that tape and hope it doesn't
get chewed up.
Report OwnBrain July 29, 2017 5:05 PM BST
don't take eye off*
Report Des Pond July 29, 2017 5:16 PM BST
Some forums are better than others, though they're all full of opinionated and big-headed people with too much pent-up aggression, which they would be better off getting out of their system at a gym, or labouring or something. You can get some good info, if you can ignore all the nonsense. Checkhook boxing is not bad, a lot of nutters, but some good stuff if you ignore all the sh!te. there's also a site that compares all the stats of fighters against each other (can't remember what it's called), but it's not always kept up to date, and not completely reliable. The best thing is to watch fights, sound turned down, and use your own judgement, imo.
Report OwnBrain July 29, 2017 5:21 PM BST
Yeah go to agree need to watch yourself make own judgement
they probably ain't even bettors on most sites just supporting
the guys they like best.i'll check out the Checkhook boxing.

On boxing forum 24 even Billy Nelson couldn't have a discussion
without having an outburst because people said Brophy was not World Class Laugh
He got the breaks beat of him with Groves next fight.
Report Des Pond July 29, 2017 5:22 PM BST
I've always been a bit of a luddite, but I must admit computers are great for the convenience of watching loads of fights at the click of a button, and not having to record them. Anyway I think I'll have to get going and get something to eat. And watch the womens' football, since there's no boxing on, now. Shame the undercard wasn't better, then they could've still put the show on.Cry
Report OwnBrain July 29, 2017 5:22 PM BST
brakes*
Report OwnBrain July 29, 2017 5:26 PM BST
No probs same here gonna get some scran
will be back later.
Report tictacman1 September 24, 2017 12:30 PM BST
2016 Fighter Of The Year & Three-Time World Champion @RealCFrampton signs promotional deal with Frank Warren and @btsport
Report mesmerised September 24, 2017 12:43 PM BST
Well, he was never going to sign with Hearn.
Report tobermory September 24, 2017 6:28 PM BST
Warren fighters must earn so much less than Eddie's though

Boxnation PPV hardly gonna get near Sky's
Report mesmerised September 24, 2017 10:57 PM BST
he can't stand Hearn though, always called him arrogant and cocky at every opportunity, so his realistic options were limited.
Report tobermory September 25, 2017 6:56 PM BST
There are no ideal options for a boxer that needs a promoter when you look around at these characters that control the sport .

He should just go where he can get the best money.

Looking at Warren's current stable, even though there are a few with world titles , it's hard to think of the last Warren fighter that was involved in a fight that will have registered with the average casual fan.

Terry Flanagan has made 5 defences of the WBO Lightweight title and could probably walk from one end of London to the other without being recognized . He must make peanuts compared to people of similar ability.
Report wisewords September 25, 2017 7:31 PM BST
Fully agree, Flanagan is anonymous!
Report tobermory September 26, 2017 2:38 AM BST
Thing is , last 3 years or so , Eddie has seen the way to do business...

There are basically 2 ways to run a stable of top level boxers imo

You have a UK fighter who is known , at least to boxing fans , so you will at least sell some tickets and get some TV money whoever he is fighting .You match him against no names , maybe even get him a title shot against a no name . And , especially if it's the WBO , you can even have a string of world title defences against no name opponents . Problem is there is a ceiling on how much you make for each of these fights as you just can't hype them up for the causal fans. However as your fighter should have very little chance of losing to any of these nobodies you can string it out for years and make regular money .

That is how Warren does and has always done business .That's why Calzaghe's career resume was much less impressive than it could have been . All those WBO Mandatories of Joe Calzaghe v AN Other .

Eddie has realized that , rather than have Brook generate about £2M in 3 years of fighting 6 or 7 guys you've hardly heard of , just throw him in with Golovkin and generate £12M in one fight .Then do something similar with Spence .If Kell is so smashed up he has to retire then so what as everyone made more money than they'd have done in 10 years no risk fights.

So Eddie has no fear of making big fights and breaking the golden goose . Warren will probably try and milk Frampton with a 'homecoming' fight v a no name , then a tune up fight  , then eliminators etc , and won't put him in with his proper level of opponent until he feels it's time to cash out.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now