Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
tobermory
09 Jul 17 18:53
| Topic/replies: 43,090 | Blogger: tobermory's blog
wtf is Eddie thinking here

Fighting some random Swedish bloke

Surely a terrible decision.
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View Calum Smith giving up World Title...
Show More
Report wisewords July 9, 2017 7:14 PM BST
Callum made the decision himself. Dirrell team were messing them around big style and Callum was sick of being inactive. He figured taking part and winning this tournament would be far greater exposure for his career than wasting month after month getting messed around by American cowards.
Report tobermory July 9, 2017 11:51 PM BST
Terrible decision.

As he was guaranteed the title fight there was a limit to how much messing about Dirrell's side could do , and anyway surely you just forget all that crap and concentrate on winning the fight.

As it is he will spend 18 months in a glorified prizefighter event.
Report wisewords July 10, 2017 12:09 AM BST

Jul 9, 2017 -- 5:51PM, tobermory wrote:

Terrible decision.As he was guaranteed the title fight there was a limit to how much messing about Dirrell's side could do , and anyway surely you just forget all that crap and concentrate on winning the fight.As it is he will spend 18 months in a glorified prizefighter event.

> Well the tournament will be over by the end of May 2017 so I don't think you know what you're talking about.

Report tobermory July 10, 2017 1:59 AM BST
Didn't the Super Six go on twice as long as planned ?

Any single injury can put it all back 3 or 4 months .

IMO you will get injuries and of course people dropping out when they see a better offer and replaced by hasbeens/journeymen .....
Report GRANTCKING July 11, 2017 8:36 PM BST
yeh the super 6 def over ran
Report GRANTCKING July 11, 2017 8:36 PM BST
I think it was a mistake for smith to enter this aswell as theres only 1 world belt in there isnt there and its groves
Report wisewords July 11, 2017 9:00 PM BST
it wasn't a mistake, Coop. this is gonne be a big deal.
Report GRANTCKING July 11, 2017 9:42 PM BST
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/40574887
Report GRANTCKING July 11, 2017 9:43 PM BST
lmao at this, hughie fury is such a mug
Report GRANTCKING July 11, 2017 9:47 PM BST

Jul 11, 2017 -- 3:00PM, wisewords wrote:

it wasn't a mistake, Coop. this is gonne be a big deal.

when does he fight groves on jr, any idea what round

Report wisewords July 11, 2017 10:38 PM BST
would be Groves in the final.
Report tobermory July 12, 2017 1:08 AM BST
If it's such a big deal why is DeGale not bothered .

Because DeGale has made it in America and is respected there and so can get big money fights in NYC or Vegas.

Calum Smith is a total nobody in America and still will be if he wins this thing imo .If he'd beaten Dirrell he'd have been at the next level in a couple of months.

I'm sceptical about the amount of money that is being claimed for this . I foresee people dropping out as it goes and the final in 2019 being Martin Murray v Paul Smith . In a leisure centre.
Report wisewords July 12, 2017 1:19 AM BST
DeGale had surgery. he can't fight until next year.
Report wisewords July 12, 2017 1:20 AM BST
this has rich Swiss backers and the final will be in May 2017. once again you have no idea what you're talking about.
Report tobermory July 12, 2017 2:40 AM BST
What do Swiztz know about boxing !
Report GRANTCKING July 12, 2017 11:05 AM BST
wisewords in a fiesty mood Grin
Report OwnBrain July 12, 2017 4:56 PM BST
Eubank Jr will win it all
Report GRANTCKING July 12, 2017 5:01 PM BST

Jul 12, 2017 -- 10:56AM, OwnBrain wrote:

Eubank Jr will win it all

u think feather fisted eubank beats heavy hitting groves??

Report OwnBrain July 12, 2017 6:08 PM BST
Speed Kills
Report wisewords July 12, 2017 9:31 PM BST
Starting September, gonna be a quarter final fight from the 2 tournaments every weekend for 8 weeks in a row! gonna be some great viewing Coop.
Report tobermory July 13, 2017 12:18 AM BST
Hmmm , the Swiss should be looking to give you a PR job for this Happy

tbh Degale's injury passed me by so maybe he would have got involved .

But i see a lot going wrong with this...

As soon Junior is matched with Groves or Calum then Senior will start making demands about the commentators etc and it won't happen

Are the WBA on board with this or are they gonna tell Groves to defend against some mandatory right in the middle of it ?

I think injuries are the main problem with this though .Just one guy gets a broken hand training in September and what they do ? put that quarter back several months , which then puts back the semis etc

Or of course at that point the likes of Martin Murray and Paul Smith come in ? If any of the top guys pull out then surely the Swiss will not be paying out the kind of money that is mentioned for prizefighter level semis

And if it becomes apparent that the big money is conditional on everyone staying in then the other big names will jack it in too imo
Report wisewords July 13, 2017 12:45 AM BST
The contracts have all been signed tobes. there's nothing to demand. the fighters aren't in control, it's all run by the organisers.
Report wisewords July 13, 2017 12:46 AM BST
You're gonna be very surprised.
Report wisewords July 13, 2017 12:47 AM BST
The people who are organising the tournaments are the same people who organise the Champions League of football.
Report tobermory July 13, 2017 1:33 AM BST
Will end up more like the Capital One Cup imo Mischief
Report n88uk July 14, 2017 10:13 PM BST
The Cruiserweight version is even better. Aren't all 4 world titles involved in the cruiserweight one.

Only issue I see is Eubank, bound to kick off at some point, feels a withdrawal waiting to happen.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now