Forums

Bloodstock & Breeding

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
proxygene
04 Jan 18 14:50
| Topic/replies: 401 | Blogger: proxygene's blog
Is it because everyone is waiting with Bated Breath and haven't been told they are never coming off that waiting list?
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View It's very quiet in here.
Show More
Report Formtwist January 4, 2018 7:12 PM GMT
Happy New Year Proxy and everyone else. I've signed and posted the last nomination today so the dies are cast and no Bated Breath among them......
May all our 2018 foals be correct and male, and the 2016 crop delight their trainers and win the big races.
Report Big Black Cat January 5, 2018 1:56 PM GMT
As ever, good luck to everyone who is doing it for real. This enthusiast/'faux owner'/club member wishes you all the best of luck with your covers, and hopes all your foals due are big, strong, correct and commercial.....
Report Koo.... January 5, 2018 3:02 PM GMT
Waiting to see if theres much life in the homebreds before working out mating plans this year.
Report proxygene January 5, 2018 3:57 PM GMT
HNY to all.
I'm trying to be resolute on the one selection I have made, and dithering feebly at a crossroads with the other.
Report potentialmillionaire January 5, 2018 7:02 PM GMT
Formtwist you make me sick
Report potentialmillionaire January 5, 2018 7:05 PM GMT
Well that's a first. Even on this creaky old site.

Only half the message came up!

Anyway, Formtwist I am only jealous of course, being firmly in the Proxy camp of extreme ditheration. Nothing booked and in theory 5 or so to consider.
Report Formtwist January 5, 2018 8:20 PM GMT
Just one of those years PotM. One late foaler to rest, all the others will be ready to go at the start of the season. Just felt certainty was preferable to high blood pressure and sleepless nights and fortunately I got some very good deals despite booking earlier than I usually do.
Report potentialmillionaire January 5, 2018 10:33 PM GMT
Form of course I want full details of what you've booked and how much you've paid.

However I am not quite that naive to expect that to happen on a public forum!

Did your deals come from taking a package with one or two studs or were you getting good deals at individual venues?
Report Formtwist January 5, 2018 11:37 PM GMT
Firstly, I only use UK sires so my decisions are maybe easier than others. None of the new retirees or shuttlers are anything special or particularly commercial to my eye (at least in my price bracket) so I've chosen more established sires at studs with whom I've done business over many years. Discount off first season is hard, but otherwise deals can always be done. Now, I was flattering myself it was my bartering skill, fair reward for loyal custom and my peerless mares that got the deals, but I'm thinking now it was actually only because I was booking early and everyone else is in the dithering camp.....sort of early bird and worm perhaps?
Report kincsem January 6, 2018 5:13 AM GMT
Bought my first mare last month.
I was warned that you can end up with a small herd.
Report potentialmillionaire January 6, 2018 10:21 AM GMT
Thanks Formtwist.

As the bottom of the market is so unpleasant I can imagine cheaper sires are very cheap indeed and I don't know quite where you are pitched. I have only made one call about a cheapie so far and the results were pitched satisfactorily.
I am sure you strike a mean bargain mind and the lilylivered amongst us -deffo myself included- will fare nowhere near as well!!

Good luck with your mare Kincsem, how very exciting. Is she in foal?
Report Formtwist January 6, 2018 11:36 AM GMT
Not so quiet now Proxy, many thanks for prodding us into life after the excesses of the festive season! PotM, I aim to pay between £5k and 20k per nomination varying as to the merits and stage of each mare but working within an overall total budget. Sometimes that budget gives leeway for flying a bit higher with the best mares. Some sires are worthy of the fee advertised and fill easily at that, but most studs recognise that they need to be flexible. Doing the dealing myself helps too as the leeway always provided for an agents fee is available at the very least. Kincsem, your passion and knowledge about pedigrees makes your venture fascinating - is your intention to race the progeny you breed?
Report truehoncho January 6, 2018 1:22 PM GMT
I'm still hoping for something else to turn up!
Report Posh Paddy January 6, 2018 3:16 PM GMT
Happy New Year to one and all. 

Just before Christmas this years flight of fancy got a nice little update under the first dam which was a welcome bonus.  Seriously considered quickly flipping him in February but after putting out the feelers I was advised to keep my powder dry so I will hold on until September which no doubt will turn out to be the wrong callWhoops.

After last years proverbial fall at the final fence I’ve had this years offering checked and he’s clean as a whistle which is a relief.

Anyway I echo the thoughts of BBC, best of luck to everyone in the upcoming months especially Kincsem and your new foray into this murky world.  Luckily not something I have to worry about so I can relax and look forward to a trip to the Festival (4 yrs since my last visit - can it really have been that longCry) for the Champion Hurdle courtesy of the In Laws Excited.
Report Formtwist January 6, 2018 10:03 PM GMT
Thought you might Posh, and well deserved. No need to get over emoticon'al about it though...
Report brassneck January 9, 2018 4:47 PM GMT
It is quiet because everyone is out looking for a bright star in the sky,and all are waiting for the messiah to be born ,and then the three wise men will travel to the stable.Laugh
Report Posh Paddy January 11, 2018 3:20 PM GMT
Another new boy for Ireland - Mile and half G1 winner by Dalakhani.

Any takers?
Report potentialmillionaire January 11, 2018 9:22 PM GMT
Posh, I'm in negotiations to buy a half share of said Dalakhani. What's not to like
Report potentialmillionaire January 11, 2018 9:26 PM GMT
Well done with your update always a nice tonic.

Form thanks for your insight it would be fun to know where you are heading as I am guessing we have certain similarities in our  modus operandi. Let's hope we both get it right!
Report Formtwist January 11, 2018 10:38 PM GMT
Pot M, I've figured for some time we've been parallel a bit, but from the hints of your fans you've undoubtedly done better (so far!) However funding half-shares of G1 Dalakhani sires a bit beyond the budget even if he'd been UK not Ireland though I am green with envy at your doing it!
Report potentialmillionaire January 12, 2018 10:10 AM GMT
Oh Form I am not quite sure what to say but I was being a tad facetious. Now if you are double bluffing I have got the egg on my face!

I have had the odd day in the sun but loads of disaster too so it remains a non stallion investing knife edge sorta scenario!
Report Formtwist January 12, 2018 2:22 PM GMT
Hope that egg is a free-range one.....
Report proxygene February 2, 2018 1:41 PM GMT
One filly for me....bay. Anyone else off the mark yet?
Report kincsem February 10, 2018 12:22 PM GMT
Waiting and waiting.
This is my first horse, bought in December.
Two weeks ago the mare was showing signs.
She is boarded about 100 miles away.
I was a punter.  This is like a 1000 mile race.
Report proxygene February 10, 2018 2:44 PM GMT
and the pockets don't empty at a slower rate either.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now