Forums

Bloodstock & Breeding

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
proxygene
22 Dec 17 19:02
| Topic/replies: 406 | Blogger: proxygene's blog
I head straight for the Book size section and this article from TDN last year came straight to mind   

Restricted Books For Ballyhane Sires
Friday, November 4, 2016 at 12:14 pm | Back to: Europe, Shared News
Updated: November 4, 2016 at 12:26 pm

Previous Story | Next Story

Joe Foley | racingfotos.com

There’s long been discussion in the bloodstock industry regarding the number of mares covered by each stallion and at least two new sires for 2017 will have their books limited.

Following Paul Makin’s assertion last month that Marcel (Ire) (Lawman {Fr}) will cover no mare than 80 mares during his first season at the National Stud in Newmarket, Joe Foley of Ballyhane Stud has announced that all five of his stallions will have their books restricted to a maximum of 125 mares. That includes Ballyhane’s most recent recruit, the G2 Norfolk S. winner Prince Of Lir (Ire), one of four sons of Kodiac (Ire) retiring to stud for next season along with Coulsty (Ire), Adaay (Ire) and Kodi Bear (Ire).

“I’ve been thinking about doing it for some time,” said Foley. “For a start it helps to tighten the market for the progeny of each stallion so you’re not flooding the market with too many foals.”

The fact that the number of yearlings being offered for sale currently outstrips the number of potential owners, particularly in the lower tiers of the market, also swayed Foley’s decision. “You can see that we’re going back into a situation of over-supply so that was definitely a factor,” he added. “I’m very happy to do it and the current level of over-production which we seem to be heading towards has concentrated my mind a little bit. People who use the stallions prefer it when there are fewer of the progeny in the yearling sales – on average it helps them to sell better – and I think it’s a good thing to do at this point. It was a no-brainer really.”

Prince Of Lir retires to Ballyhane Stud at a fee of €5,000 and will stand alongside Battle Of Marengo (Ire) (Galileo {Ire})––who has his first foals on offer this month––Red Jazz (Johannesburg), Dandy Man (Ire) (Mozart {Ire}) and Elzaam (Aus) (Redoute’s Choice {Aus}), who has sired 15 first-crop winners in Europe.

So it was good of Mr Makin to stick to his word and hold Marcel's book at 27. I think you will find the numbers for Elzaam and Dandy Man were above promised levels and after a clear and logical explanation of why they were being capped.
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View RP Bloodstock Review 2017
Show More
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now