Forums

Bloodstock & Breeding

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
LQDM
31 Jul 17 18:27
| Topic/replies: 33 | Blogger: LQDM's blog
Any input, gut feeling or wishes for next season?

I guess Postponed and Profitable to Darley. Maybe Blue Point too? Some of their other prospects will stay in training I would have thought.
What would they do with Jack Hobbs?

Churchill, Caravaggio and Wings of Eagles to Coolmore. H reel too?
Deauville to Ashford?

Zarak to Aga's

Galileo Gold to Highclere?

Who will get Ulysses and  Decorated Knight?

Many others of interest.
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View 2018 new sires
Show More
Report roadrunner46 August 2, 2017 2:49 PM BST
twilight son should be very popular this year at 10k, I guess from a commercial point of view, wouldn't know which crop to invest in,
weather that be the first crop or 2nd or 3rd crop, suppose the impact of the first crop or 2nd crop, has some bearing on future sales.
what looks good on paper, suppose doesn't always convert into profits at the point of sale.
Report potentialmillionaire August 2, 2017 5:06 PM BST
LDQM, I'm not loving your list!

First mailing Galileo at stud is a big time dud. RVW.

Will they want 3 unproven of the same ilk at stud at the same time? I guess maybe not and Churchill might have to race on.

I loved the beautifully stood up photo of Wings of Eagles, box rest, bandaged. It made me chuckle because it was a brilliant opening shot at a nicely conformed horse that they are trying to sell right now. To their breeding clients or to their buying clients? Time will tell.

Postponed deffo Darley. Profitable is a lost horse who might have to slum it a bit at an outpost.

Deauville, Zarak, Galileo Gold, decorated Knight, Ulysses.

Will anyone want them?
Report LQDM August 2, 2017 6:45 PM BST
I think with those pedigrees, they have done enough to find a place at stud.

I would send Jack Hobbs to Darley Japan.
I guess Ulysses might end up at Lane's End if he manages to run well in the BC.

WOE is going to be hard to sell, but it is a Derby winner after all.
There will be other 3yo Galileos to send to stud next year too. I think Churchill will be retired this year.

Harry Angel, Ribchester and Barney will stay in training, won't they?

Who are you looking forward to seeing standing at stud next year pm?
Report potentialmillionaire August 3, 2017 11:17 AM BST
LQDM.

I HAVE NOT GIVEN IT MUCH THOUGHT IN TERMS OF WHAT IS LIKELY TO appear next year as yet so I can't give you any sort of list. It's more about just what flashes up in front of me on the tellybox and whether at that moment in time it looks appealing.

I am on a bit of a late maturing stamina trip with some mares this year so I think if I am to survive another year post that madness it will be young speed that I will need to redress the balance going forward.

For me it is conformation conformation conformation led, which is ironic really as I am probably not the best judge on that score anyway. Perhaps I should say it is MY interpretation of the 3 c's that will lead me wherever.

Right now in terms of race record and pedigrees I have got it bad for the big sprinters, Caravaggio and Harry's Angel. They are major suitable for me.
Report truehoncho August 3, 2017 6:19 PM BST
As they would be for most I imagine.
Report truehoncho August 3, 2017 6:29 PM BST
On your list LQDM, I hope DK gets a cheap dual purpose birth in Britain. Any chance of that??? £5k or less??? Not one for the commercial boys is he?
Report potentialmillionaire August 3, 2017 8:38 PM BST
truehonch, I have major pedigree/aptitude compatibilities with some of my mares, which is what led me to flagging up the obvious!
Decorated Knight has taken so long to reach consciousness and I imagine he would be affordable if anyone wanted to stand him. Is he a looker? I'm guessing not?
Report truehoncho August 4, 2017 12:05 AM BST
Hi PotM. I just read my post and I can see it looked a bit sarcastic but I promise it wasn't. I simply meant that they will both be very popular (well out of my range unfortunately). As for DK I saw him at N'mkt and I thought he looked 'scopey' (sorry that's all I have written down). Such a great dam line though and he would be worth it for an owner breeder on a budget I think.
Report Formtwist October 4, 2017 1:46 PM BST
Well, we know a little more now don't we? Galileo Gold it appears was wanted by Tally-Ho, Postponed is at Darley as expected with a fee of £20,000 and a surprise berth for Ulysses at Cheveley Park. Two reverse shuttle sires at the National Stud in Spill the Beans and Tivaci are also an interesting way to go for them. It sounds as if barring an injury Harry Angel and Barney Roy will race on but would be surprised if Coolmore didn't retire Caravaggio. Ribchester might go either way, he has done more than enough to justify a place at Darley now and has the right credentials to balance aptitudes with Postponed and, I'm guessing, Profitable. Like the latter, it might be risky giving Ribchester yet another year against improving younger horses. Havana Gold gets a fee hike to £15,000 which was I suppose inevitable. Lanwades have been posting out their stallion sheets minus fees but that looks as if they aren't adding another left-field newcomer this time round. Anyone else heard whispers on others that might be on the rosters next year?
Report potentialmillionaire October 28, 2017 10:40 AM BST
After the ever so slightly 'low profile' Australian route the National Stud were taking it seems like people have taken pity and found them a couple of decent prospects.
Do,we like?
Are we happy with their venue?
Report truehoncho October 28, 2017 12:19 PM BST
Are non superstar sons of Dubawi hot commercial prospects? (this is a genuine question)
Report yer ma October 28, 2017 1:34 PM BST
Time Test is the best value I've seen so far but as you intimate PotM - I'm conflicted on the venue.  What will he be covering?  Who will be backing him?  You've been a Sepoy advocate no?  Seems cheap now but is it already too late?  I also bigged up Farhh few years ago but again the sales numbers don't stack up.  I might revert to mare buying and cover less - shopping is 'easier' Grin
Report potentialmillionaire October 28, 2017 1:56 PM BST
Right back at you truehonch.

I feel your concern but I also join yer ma in thinking that Time Test feels like value from a gut perspective.

I suppose my problem is that I could see a scenario where I wanted to use both their new horses so I would be in deep to a stud with question marks (maybe not major mind).

If they are around yet I might take a whizz trip to headquarters next week for a gander.

I've used Sepoy twice yer ma. A 3yo with problems, but not for me in fairness, who has won and a yearling filly who lost money but she shouldn't have been a filly. I'd be surprised if she doesn't make up for it on the track though so that's fine.

He needs a profile Saturday horse doesn't he and I think they may often be tricky. I'd guess they'll deal on that price so it's just a case of making your decision as to what's in the pipeline to gussy things up a little. Or not.
Report Wilycayote October 28, 2017 11:19 PM BST
i'll be avoiding sons on Dubawi until one actually goes and does it. Record so far;

Makfi       - failure
P voice     - commercial failure
Al kazeem   - sub fertile
Dubawi gold - infertile
Aljamaheer  - infertile

plus, did Timetest go to USA to benefit from Lasix?
Report zygote October 31, 2017 5:20 PM GMT
With Caravaggio announced as retiring, I wonder how many Galileo mares Coolmore will send him?
Report Big Black Cat November 1, 2017 12:41 PM GMT
Its a difficult one for them Zygote-its the outcross they are desperate for, but sending all of their best Galileo mares would be a huge risk if he proves to be a dud.

Not that I'm an expert, but I'd send him up to half of them, and look elsewhere for the other half....
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now