Forums

Bloodstock & Breeding

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
potentialmillionaire
07 Mar 17 11:18
| Topic/replies: 2,560 | Blogger: potentialmillionaire's blog
I'm just off the back of walking in a mare to be covered, in Ireland.

I apologise to everyone but the few nerds on here who won't be in the slightest bit interested in such a post but it's something I've always wondered about and it seems to be a slightly increasing phenomen.
So I've given it a go, and would perhaps consider it again.
I hope against hope I shan't be considering it again after the results of the relevant scan when the time comes!
I'm fully geared up for disaster though, these are horses after all.
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View Much excitement, ok not for you but I...
Show More
Report Big Black Cat March 7, 2017 12:36 PM GMT
Good luck with that PM

I'm assuming this is analagous to a fumble in a back alley rather than taking a lady to a show and having dinner first? :-)

Whatever, the result can often be the same-hope the scans are good in 14 days time....
Report potentialmillionaire March 9, 2017 11:54 AM GMT
Truehonch I did the trip myself in my two horse truck. The ferry cost £385 plus vat return but I sent over a barrener the week before to board and that trip with a transporter cost £450 for one way!
Obviously fuel and tolls to be considered
4 return ferries daily from Holyhead to Dublin and the whole shebang took 26 hours but there is a chance you could shave a bit of time off if you got a cover that allowed an earlier ferry back but location is a factor here.
Seeing as the barrener doesn't appear to have been covered yet, the one I took is currently the success story, but who knows!
I was pleased to do it because I hadn't managed to decide where the mare was going in time for her to go with a transporter so the flexibility was the deciding factor and I could see that working again. I have a lateish foaling mare that I would like to cover and would always discount Ireland with those types but now I shan't.
Whether I embrace the concept whole heartedly or just cherry pick remains to be seen.
Report yer ma March 10, 2017 6:32 PM GMT
I'm well impressed by this not least the two fingers to the transporter who I hate paying £4-5k a year to.  You should ask about a haulier / business ferry rate (if you didnt before).  Hard work though and you must have some reliable staff to leave the foaling etc too!
Report yer ma March 10, 2017 6:32 PM GMT
I'm well impressed by this not least the two fingers to the transporter who I hate paying £4-5k a year to.  You should ask about a haulier / business ferry rate (if you didnt before).  Hard work though and you must have some reliable staff to leave the foaling etc too!
Report potentialmillionaire March 10, 2017 9:15 PM GMT
Yes yer ma I think I've been a little naive as to thinking matters at home would allow much swanning off on similar jaunts.
Only 2 foals due and not quite yet so I was able to just leave someone at home to feed round on this occasion.
I didn't get the impression I could haggle on rates as I just booked with the freight office (stena).
Report truehoncho March 11, 2017 1:09 AM GMT
Thanks PotM. I would go from Stranraer or Cairnryan to Belfast.I used to do it all the time with the greyhounds but never have had the bottle to take a mare. I think I will give it a go next year, the travelling is probably less than to Whitsbury for me and for the extra £400 or so I think I could get that back on stallion fee's (unless it takes me a few shots!!). Best of luck with her PotM.
Report kincsem March 11, 2017 8:59 AM GMT
Well done. I've always thought people are afraid to look outside their area for sires for their mare.
My first thought was you went Holyhead to Dun Laoghaire but I think the ferry goes into Dublin port now.
Then I remembered that the Dublin Port tunnel takes you from the port to the M50 motorway and that links to the N7/M7 motorway to Kildare and onwards to Tipperary, the two horse counties.
It would be fairly easy travelling using satnav but bringing a horse would have you a little on edge.
This could be the start of your horse transportation business.
For years I've seen big horse transporters around south Dublin in the spring obviously just off the ferry onto Dun Laoghaire (now discontinued?)
Report Posh Paddy March 11, 2017 11:15 AM GMT
Well done PM.  Always knew this was possible in theory, (see Travel Question thread) glad someone has given it a shot.  You are lucky as you've access to a 2 box and can do it yourself otherwise it would be too expensive.

Maybe next time (if there is a next time) you could try a trip to France to see Shalaa and fill the unused berth on the box with cheap wine, cheese and **** on the way home! Laugh
Report Posh Paddy March 11, 2017 11:17 AM GMT
F@gs as in cigarettes Betfair......Whoops
Report potentialmillionaire March 11, 2017 3:03 PM GMT
It is such a drama truehonch to find a mating that suits to breed a racehorse and a saleshorse that I think then to start putting limits on matters geographical is just another hassle that I can do without, so any extra flexibility is a help.
Dun Leery is still an option I think kincsem I forgot to check it out but I will another time. I used it a few years ago If memory serves.
I am a Luddite and prefer a map as I'm not sure what you do when the satnav throws up a problem and you have no idea where you are!
I had a few days in France last year P P and I'm afraid the concept of cheap cheese and wine and youknowwhats is a bit of yesteryear. I tried to check out Shalaa too but he was similarly disappointing!
I hope your yearling is making fantastic progress.
Report Formtwist March 28, 2017 7:20 PM BST
Did she scan in foal?
Report Posh Paddy April 3, 2017 2:06 PM BST
Shalaa a disappointment, well who would have thought it. I am surprised as on paper he looks a commercial breeders dream. What a shame.

The yearling is fine and doing well, although there has been a mishap between a large part of his mane and his rug.  Hopefully it will grow back in 6months or I'll have to send him to his local salon for extensions.Shocked
Report Lairy Mary April 4, 2017 9:48 AM BST
Just makes a case for AI really.  In this age of DNA recognition, can someone tell my why it can't be introduced? Surely its got to be better off for the mares (their foals at foot have to travel too) and would reduce the risk of viruses being spread.  Call me naïve but I presume it's down to the studs needing to charge extortionate amounts for keep fees that it continues?
Report sageform April 19, 2017 7:07 PM BST
Surely it is about how many sires there are and therefore how many employees on Studs etc ? I was involved in livestock breeding for many years and AI is now very efficient but one sire can produce thousands of pigs/calves/foals so how many sires would there be? It would be possible to limit the number of semen sticks to (say) 200 per stallion but we all know that the pressure to increase the number would be relentless.
Report truehoncho April 20, 2017 10:57 AM BST
Although I understand your point Sageform, I have to agree with Mary. Hundreds of mares with foals travelling up and down motorways in some pretty dangerous conditions outweighs the other arguments in my opinion. If you have ever been involved in an incident with a mare and foal on a motorway I think you may have a similar view. I also think that the cost saving to small breeders will also be a boost  to the stallion industry (but obviously a negative for the vets).
Report potentialmillionaire May 17, 2017 8:04 PM BST
Sorry to abandon this post but I have been busy licking wounds. My attempt to get a Shalaa nomination was disappointing Posh I have no knowledge that the horse is!
My trip to Ireland was a negative one sadly and I couldn't take her back for practical reasons. However on arrival there by transporter she was a reproductive basket case so I felt slightly excused. And despite boarding from then on she has decided to take a year off. Rather a fecking nightmare because she had last year off too.
One mare has had to make a stallion swap due to no joy with first choice but she has clicked with husband two but plenty of time lost there too.
But I have had a minor triumph with aforementioned late foaling mare. I grew a pair and had another go and she walked in to Ireland and has just tested in foal on the one jump. It was only the flexibility offered by a walk in that let me consider the mating so a deffo result.
Posh I bet your yearling is in mane Hogged heaven right now - keep the faith!
Report Posh Paddy May 21, 2017 2:58 PM BST
Sorry to hear of your woes PM but glad to see that you've navigated the choppy waters and ended up with by and large positive outcomes at the end of the day.

Just saw my yearling today and Manegate aside I'm really happy with him.  Will be interesting to see what the sales companies make of him.
Report Formtwist May 21, 2017 8:09 PM BST
Good luck Posh, I always think mane issues better than chewed tails. PotM, you no doubt know you are far from alone in a frustrating year. The mares seem to have joined some union to take overproduction issues into their own hooves! Having said that, I was reluctantly persuaded to try a couple of Equilume masks this season. One was on a serial barrener like you describe, and she scanned positive first cover. The other was used on my latest foaler to see if it speeded gestation so giving best chance of not needing a year off. She foaled near a week shorter than usual and I await scan after covering. Despite my scepticism, these masks seem to work, though the mares look most odd in them, and scary in the dark...

Have you, or anyone else used these?
Report potentialmillionaire June 8, 2017 8:24 PM BST
Formtwist I am quite a fan of the light masks.
I think they need to be on nice and early if you want a consistent cycle in February. I would say pre December 1st probably. And I imagine plenty early on a pregnant mare too. In their defence I have managed to get two mares worth of use out  of one mask which does help with the somewhat ruinous cost. (Although a full end to end barren mare might be a struggle to double up)
Hopefully Posh might read this and tell us about yearling inspections soon!
Report Posh Paddy June 11, 2017 5:08 PM BST
I know of one person who uses the masks and they love them.  Am not a breeder so have no experience myself.

The inspections have been and gone and I have been offered a place in the same sale as I sold last years offering in, which I have very gratefully accepted with both hands.

Both Companies were keen to point out that there are going to be lots of disappointed vendors this year as they reduced sales days while Crop size had increased.

I did briefly consider sending mine to the UK but ultimately the hassle, expense and loss of control (would have to consign under someone else) outweighed any potential increase in returns.

I've got a nice model, good paper, the sale I want (for which I count myself exceedingly lucky), fingers crossed we get there and Daddy continues on an upward curve - assuming anyone notices he's on one, that is......
Report Formtwist June 11, 2017 7:52 PM BST
Good news Posh, and clearly the upward curve of whatever sire it is has been noticed. The best barometer of that being the sales companies! To get a place you are happy with is an achievement indeed. I am now converted to the masks though selectively for certain situations, since mares safely in foal in February aren't worth the money. Not sure I'd try to squeeze an extra mare into one mask but I might dissect one to see if I can get it reconditioned...I did get both my trial ones on at the end of November. I was dubious as the investment in stable lights for all made me wonder whether it would be worth the money, but it was. For a breeder with only one or two mares it would be a really worthwhile alternative to the cost of lighting.
Report potentialmillionaire June 12, 2017 11:52 AM BST
I've done all sorts over the years Form by way of rigging up lights. My usual being an extension lead with a bulb dangling from it over the box in question and a timer switch at the other end. It's a lot cheaper than a light mask and they don't need much of a light. If you can bring them in at night that is the way to go on the expense front if you are a diy'er like myself. If you are paying increased board to have them in then the light mask does become justifiable.
Posh I have been following your stallion so I'm an unreliable witness as to how his perception is likely to be because of course I have noticed his solid improvement. As Formtwist points out though the sales company are a reliable early barometer.
I don't see him hurtling towards DarkAngeldom and you fighting off the six figure bids, but with a good looking yearling by a sire not p1ssing too many people off,  I'm hoping you've played a blinder
Report Posh Paddy June 13, 2017 8:48 AM BST
Thank you FT & PM for your kind words of encouragement.  Due to the paper I was thinking I'd got the slot in spite of the Sire but hopefully you're both right and his improvement from "Binned" to "Not p1ssing too many people off" has indeed been noticed.

As for playing a blinder, time will tell and anything above break even is a result.  As ever hope springs eternal.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now