Forums

Bloodstock & Breeding

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Big Black Cat
26 Nov 16 12:39
| Topic/replies: 764 | Blogger: Big Black Cat's blog
Looking through the first season sires results at Tatts is having a great start to his career (by sales results anyway).

What's not to like about him though?  Outstanding page-by the greatest sire in the World out of one of the best racemares in the last 20 years.

Dual Derby winner and that oh so important 10F Group 1 as well.

I see the marketing is good on this one too-'more speed than either of his parents'

Will he buck the trend of speed, speed, speed in the breed???

I bet Lord derby is kicking himself though as its the only foal from Ouija Board to have gone to the sales (made 500K IIRC)
Share |
Show More
Report potentialmillionaire November 26, 2016 6:57 PM GMT
Subjective matters these.

He is more Cape Cross than Galileo.
He is not correct
He lacks quality
He's chesnut.
His page isn't top class.
His sales price tells plenty..

Most private breeders sell their colts BBC, why would you regret that?
Report truehoncho November 26, 2016 7:53 PM GMT
Surely PotM, everyone wants to win the Derby? I would have been gutted, even though I was £1/2m better off.
Report potentialmillionaire November 26, 2016 8:53 PM GMT
If you sell your stock then you need to learn to enjoy their exploits on the track not think what might have been. If you can't then you need to race them. It's either or Truehonch!
Report Big Black Cat November 26, 2016 9:44 PM GMT
Fair enough PM. That's me and my theories well debunked!

There must be a pang of regret in Derby Towers though that the only progeny from Ouija Board sold at public auction won well over a Million quid, two Derbies and is now worth considerably more than 500K?....
Report truehoncho November 27, 2016 12:49 AM GMT
I only sell horses so I can buy some more. I hate not being rich enough to keep them all. It would piss me right off if I sold a Derby winner and I don't care how illogical it is. I would happily go skint to watch a horse I owned do something that special.
Report Big Black Cat November 27, 2016 3:56 PM GMT
I think TH, if you owned a Derby winner, 'skint' is something you wouldn't be.....I can't remember the last Derby winner who didn't get a job as a stallion somewhere...even for the NH boys!
Report Formtwist November 27, 2016 9:59 PM GMT
Clearly well done PotM and all those faults a figment of the imagination! I sneaked out a bit ahead again which this year was a relief knowing their wounds and issues.
Much is made of the "right" sire and certainly a properly cold one was a no go. Really though the mare is the key - you have to have the page and she has to produce them correct and athletic.
Report nannyflow January 20, 2018 2:43 PM GMT
I’m sending my mare to Australia this spring, I’m interested in people’s thoughts on his stock at the sales.
Report Formtwist January 20, 2018 7:03 PM GMT
Nannyflow, best of luck, as you are taking a big gamble. Whatever anyone's view of his stock so far (which seemed positive enough) it won't affect the price of the foal you get. That will depend entirely on the success of his progeny on the racetrack this year and next.
Report potentialmillionaire January 20, 2018 7:40 PM GMT
nanny I wasn't the biggest fan as I thought him faultable and a bit unpreposessing a la Cape Cross.

Back-pedalling a bit though he was a superb mover that did have the grace of a good horse and his first crop seems to contain plenty that have inhe
Report potentialmillionaire January 20, 2018 7:42 PM GMT
Inherited the good bits. Of course it's a massive gamble but I guess there are plenty with you that will take it!
Report nannyflow January 20, 2018 11:34 PM GMT
Thanks for the posts.

You guys are so generous with your views and it’s appreciated.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now