Forums

Bloodstock & Breeding

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Big Black Cat
18 Jun 16 17:31
| Topic/replies: 767 | Blogger: Big Black Cat's blog
MARSHA (ACCLAMATION-MARLINKA) won the listed Land O Burns Fillies stakes at Ayr in fine style on Saturday 18th June.

MARSHA is a daughter of the listed winning mare MARLINKA (by MARJU) who's dam BARALINKA is a Barathea half sister to multiple Group 1 winning mare SOVIET SONG and SISTER ACT (dam of G1 winner RIBBONS, currently in foal to FRANKEL). 

The mare has a yearling filly by EXCELEBRATION and a colt foal by CAPE CROSS.

This is a well established family owned by The Elite Racing Club, and yet another black type filly to go to the breeding programme.

I think Sir Mark has found her trip now.
Share |
Show More
Report Big Black Cat July 12, 2016 1:32 PM BST
Another improved performance from MARSHA last weekend to win a second Listed race at York.

This was a far tougher race, and although only a Listed race, it could easily have been a group race, with the quality of the field.

The next target for this improving filly will be the King George at Goodwood at the end of the month, with the possibility of being supplemented for the Nunthorpe at York should she win.

Her previous Listed race form was boosted last week with the 4th in that race winning a Group 3 race at York.

This is a very exciting filly who is improving rapidly.
Report Big Black Cat September 17, 2016 12:29 PM BST
Since my last post MARSHA has run well in a Gp 2 at Goodwood (5th but not beaten far) and then got mugged in France last weekend by a 92 rated handicapper in a G3 (no excuses though- the winner didn't stop, our jockey thought he would! She beat the higher rated Goldream into 3rd.

Still its more black type for her- she's going to have 1 more run this season but will now be stepping up to 6F.  Target as yet unknown (she is still in the l'Abbaye over 5F and that hasn't entirely been ruled out).

BBC
Report Big Black Cat October 1, 2016 1:32 PM BST
MARSHA runs in the Prix De l'Abbaye at Chantilly tomorrow.

She is well, and in good form, but if she finishes in the first 6 I would be delighted, as its a very hot race (and she needs 6F now).
Report Big Black Cat October 2, 2016 4:49 PM BST
Gentlemen-I am thrilled beyond belief at MARSHA winning a group 1 today at Chantilly.

That's the third individual group 1 winner on the flat bred out of the family of our great foundation mare KALINKA (SOVIET SONG and RIBBONS being the other).

She also produced the Triumph hurdle winner PENZANCE for good measure.

I am very surprised to be honest as all the talk from the trainer was that she needed 6F now-and who am I  to argue with the esteemed Baronet!

Tidy little breeding operation..... :-)
Report Jezebel October 12, 2016 6:08 PM BST
Fantastic result BBC, she's really done you proud.  I had the pleasure of meeting Kalinka at Star Cottage when she was carrying Affinity, so it's lovely to see the family pick up some more black type in such a marquee race.
Report Big Black Cat October 13, 2016 3:41 PM BST
Thanks Jezebel. I joined Elite when Kalinka had produced Baralinka who of course is the grand dam of Marsha.  Of course Kalinka next foal was Soviet Song...Sister Act would have been the superstar broodmare in the family though. Her first foal was an Oasis Dream colt called ONE VISION who broke his shoulder on the gallops.

Sir Henry said that he could have been anything....

Such a fantastic family for us. Not quite Hasili but pretty good....
Report Jezebel October 14, 2016 11:57 AM BST
It's been a great family but also an unlucky one in many ways - Soviet Song's infertility, Sister Act's premature death, One Vision's accident etc.
Report Big Black Cat October 14, 2016 1:28 PM BST
The great sadness in the family is of course Soviet Song not being a highly successful broodmare.  One can only hope that Roubles manages a win as it would be extremely sad for her not to even produce a winner-she deserves more than that.

Sister Act's death was an absolute tragedy for us and the breeding operation-she could have been as successful as Ffestiniog or even better-in many ways (in terms of breeding a G1 winner) she has already been a better broodmare, and I'm pretty sure she would have bred many more winners like F.

We still have Tribute Act of course. I know there is much excitement about this filly both at Pegasus and amongst the members.  And of course, we will have Marsha as a potential broodmare from that family too-so all is not lost.  Far from it!
Report sageform October 14, 2016 1:43 PM BST
Another example of a good mare continuing to produce success for a breeder. Much more satisfying than spending zillions at the yearling sales. Great result.
Report Big Black Cat October 14, 2016 6:55 PM BST
Thanks sageform

I think Elites breeding operation has been an outstanding success considering its relatively small size.

We were very lucky to have 3 excellent Foundation mares in FFESTINIOG, KALINKA and KABAYIL who have all produced above average animals.

We haven't got the cash to go off and buy lots of expensive yearlings-we spend our dosh on good stallion nominations instead-and we do produce the odd very good horse indeed.

Id guess we'd love to win a classic next-that would be very good for business. Cool  Now that really would be dreamland!
Report Big Black Cat May 6, 2017 2:38 PM BST
Another very impressive performance by MARSHA today.  The last horse to win that race with a G1 penalty was the great LOCHSONG.  That may have been a G3 but in name only!

MARSHA was not expected to win today and wasn't 100% wound up-exciting times ahead.

Her Dam MARLINKA has now produced MARSHA (OR 111 a joke frankly), JUDICIAL (OR 102) and the winning 3yo MARSEILLE (OR 70)

Her 2yo by CAPE CROSS is called MAGISTRATE, in training with JR Fanshawe.

Exciting times ahead! GrinGrin
Report sageform May 6, 2017 8:53 PM BST
Another great effort. Well done.
Report Big Black Cat May 9, 2017 9:57 AM BST
Thanks sageform-its great to have another Group winning star amongst our horses of course.

No news as to whether she goes to Haydock for the Temple or straight to Ascot for the Kings Stand yet.  She has come out of the race very well though.

Breeding update-her dam MARLINKA has recently produced a colt by DARK ANGEL, so exciting times ahead there....
Report Big Black Cat June 20, 2017 10:34 AM BST
Very big day for MARSHA as she runs at Royal Ascot in the Kings Stand Stakes.

I'm extremely hopeful as she will have moved forward from her great win in the Palace Stakes-the form looks rock solid and of course she is 7lb better off with all of those horses.

The French animal Signs of Blessing is the big danger, but not sure that he will handle the fast ground.

Will be watching with interest.
Report sageform June 20, 2017 3:55 PM BST
Great run again-just outpaced in the middle of the race before running on well behind 2 world class sprinters. Great thrill for you guys to breed a filly like that.
Report Big Black Cat June 20, 2017 9:04 PM BST
Thanks sageform-agree, possibly another lifetime best but at least as good as ever, and the winner was dare I say it, Dajur-like.

Her half brother JUDICIAL won easily tonight at Beverley too, so all in all, a pretty good day.
Report Big Black Cat June 22, 2017 12:53 PM BST
The noble Baron reported in thus post race-they went so fast all the way she was never on the bridle.

MARSHA is a very fast filly who can often 'tank' over 5F, so this probably is an indication of the quality of the race.
Report Big Black Cat August 12, 2017 11:03 AM BST
MARSHA update

She ran a really great race on soft ground at Goodwood-pretty much right up to her Kings Stand performance.  The winner did look an exceptional horse.

She will go for the Nunthorpe next on hopefully more suitable ground.

If any of you guys or gals have deep pockets, she is going to the sales at the end of the season.  Of course the commercial sense of this is unquestionable.  She's the highest rated flat horse we've had since Soviet Song-she is from that incredible family too-her granddam is a BARATHEA half sister to SOVIET SONG out of our fantastic foundation mare KALINKA.

She won't be cheap mind-hope those pockets are deep....

Of course we do have her dam (MARLINKA) and two half sisters (3 yo MARSEILLE by EXCELLEBRATION)and a yearling by IFFRAAJ to continue the line on.

Hoping Coolmore find out, buy her and send her to GALILEO.... Grin
Report Big Black Cat August 25, 2017 5:32 PM BST
WOW! JUST WOW!

What an incredible performance by MARSHA today-I honestly thought she couldn't win today, so only had a small bet!

Sir Mark was very positive however, and when Luke took a tug cos she was tanking with him, I started to believe....

Just incredible.

Should put a few quid on her value....
Report sageform August 26, 2017 10:33 AM BST
Great thrill for the owners. Not often a filly wins Group 1 at 3 and 4.
Report Big Black Cat September 30, 2017 3:06 PM BST
Off to Chantilly again tomorrow to defend her l'Abbaye crown.

She's in great form-the ground, well the less rain the better.

Battash of course the big danger to us.

Interestingly the latest update is that this is likely to be her last race in EUROPE before she goes to the December sales...wonder if they are thinking BC Sprint (fast ground, easy 6F)?
Report sageform October 1, 2017 2:41 PM BST
Good luck again with Marsha.
Report Big Black Cat October 1, 2017 4:06 PM BST
Thanks sageform-everything crossed here!
Report sageform October 1, 2017 4:42 PM BST
Had to oppose you in the betting but well done to take second to a real star.
Report Big Black Cat October 1, 2017 5:06 PM BST
I was very worried about Battash of course sageform, and well done if you had a few quid on.

You have to say that the winner looked like Dajur there-or the closest thing you will ever see.  He made G1 winners look like handicappers.

Our girl has been an absolute model of consistency this year-never out of the first 3 in all her races.  She has done us proud.  Of course we have several siblings and her dam safely tucked away.

Off to the sales with a hefty reserve I think.
Report sageform October 1, 2017 5:20 PM BST
Hope you were on Aclaim. Amazing price in the end, 4.8 on here!!! Lots of lovely Euros coming across the pond shortly.
Report Big Black Cat October 1, 2017 6:11 PM BST
I only had a small bet on Marsha today.  I fancied Enable, but was frightened of the odds, so had a place bet on Cloth of Stars....
Report Big Black Cat October 1, 2017 6:14 PM BST
Hope you get through the border with your cash sageform!  Well done-always nice to bring a few Euros back.  Last time I was over there Lochsong paid for my trip....plenty of Francs brought back....
Report sageform October 1, 2017 7:17 PM BST
Never left my office Cat, so no exchange probs for me. Never been to the Arc but went to the trials day in September at Longchamp back when Carnegie was running so a long time ago. Also went to Chantilly when Charlton won the Prix du Jockey Club for Prince Khaled with Sanglamore.
Report sageform October 1, 2017 7:19 PM BST
I see how you read my earlier post now. I meant lots of euros for British owners and trainers-including Elite racing.
Report Big Black Cat October 2, 2017 12:11 PM BST
Yes sageform -£68K coming back for finishing second for us alone.

I saw Carnegie win the Arc, after telling all my non racing mates (as the expert on the trip) that he had 'no chance' :-)
Report Big Black Cat October 3, 2017 9:29 AM BST
A quick MARSHA update for those interested.

She's come out of the race really well, and of course is off to the sales in December.

However, she has been invited to the Breeders Cup, and it is a possibility, depending on her wellbeing.

It would be very exciting to have a runner in the BC of course.  Soviet Song was headed for the mile there in 2005 (I think) but caught a chill after the Sussex Stakes and didn't make the trip.
Report Big Black Cat October 10, 2017 12:21 PM BST
Latest-MARSHA is an intended runner in the BC Turf Sprint at present.

The Turf Sprint this year is over 5F due to the track layout.

My own feeling is since this is an all expenses paid trip, and the horse is well, there is little downside to her running.

If she were to win then It would enhance her page somewhat in December-if she loses, she is still a dual Group 1 winner.
Report sageform October 10, 2017 2:06 PM BST
Presumably round a 180 degree turn which may not suit a slow starter but as you say very little downside in having a go.
Report Big Black Cat October 10, 2017 2:58 PM BST
Don't really think she's a slow starter to be honest?  She does like to be held up of course and come with a late rattle.  Whether the track will suit is debatable, but its a great opportunity to have a free shot a big prize?
Report sageform October 14, 2017 7:48 PM BST
Compared to Battaash, Marsha takes a while to get rolling imo. and in America they start like bullets from a gun. Good luck anyway.
Report Big Black Cat October 15, 2017 1:29 PM BST
sageform-indeed she is held up.  If she misses the start she will be in trouble of course-Luke actually said she bounced really well at Chantilly-too well-and he had hoped to get her covered up behind Signs of Blessing who did miss it.

She got beat at Chantilly because Battash was a different class on the day.  Take him out, and she's be a triple group 1 winner.

Frankly, the faster they go the better for her in any race.

We'll se what happens-if they are all dying in the last furlong, she will be finishing with a rattle...
Report sageform October 16, 2017 8:53 AM BST
I hope so, nothing would please me more than seeing us beat the Americans in a sprint-the one area in which we usually get thrashed.
Report zygote October 16, 2017 5:21 PM BST
Why is Marsha being offered for sale? Is it cashflow, or the dissolution of a syndicate?
Report Big Black Cat October 16, 2017 11:03 PM BST
zygote, Marsha is a highly commercial proposition with her racing record and her pedigree.  Her granddam is a half sister to our multiple G1 winner SOVIET SONG, and SISTER ACT the dam of G1 winner RIBBONS.

We have her dam MARLINKA and several female siblings.

I think that after keeping Soviet Song and her being a failure as a broodmare, the club are anxious to maximise the value of the mare by selling her.

In an ideal world we would love to keep her as a broodmare, but of course there's no guarantee she will breed any good horses. 

This way we get a big injection of cash (seven figures surely) and if she breeds any good ones, it simply enhances the outstanding family she's from?
Report zygote October 17, 2017 6:24 PM BST
Thanks for the information, BBC.
Report Big Black Cat October 28, 2017 11:08 AM BST
MARSHA is off to Dan Diego today with Sir Marks assistant and the team.

Luke will be joining them a bit later.

Apparently she needs to spend a day in quarantine, and will be allowed on the track on Monday.
Report Big Black Cat November 7, 2017 7:10 AM GMT
MARSHA ran a very nice race at the BC-I think Luke was hoping they'd stop a bit coming round the turn but they didn't!

She was just slightly hampered in the straight and pushed a little bit wider, and maybe she'd have finished in the three without that (only beaten 1.25L in 6th).

If it had been on a straight track....

Still, nice to have lady Aurelia behind us.

She's been an absolute model of consistency.  Tough. Talented. Terrific.

I never thought we'd have one better than SOVIET SONG.  The numbers say she is, I'm not so sure.

Still she's off to the December sales now if you have deep pockets.  Lets hope she passes on her talent to her babies and gets some top coverings to help her out.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now