Forums

Bloodstock & Breeding

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Tascro
23 Sep 15 12:48
| Topic/replies: 259 | Blogger: Tascro's blog
a few friends and myself are thinking of buying a foal or yearling in the near future. looking for an agent that people have had business with. honesty is the main criteria we are looking for. TIA
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View Can anyone reccomend bloodstock agent...
Show More
Report bucko68 September 25, 2015 1:09 PM BST
Bobby O Ryan is one that springs to mind, his active at all the Major sales, used him once and was very happy with the purchase.
Report mylo September 25, 2015 11:23 PM BST
Eamonn Reilly from BBA Ireland is very honest and is a great judge of a horse. A lot of agents are up to no good I find but Eamonn won't put you wrong.
Report Tascro September 26, 2015 8:18 AM BST
thanks guys. will look into them
Report Posh Paddy September 26, 2015 6:15 PM BST
Agree with mylo, Eamonn Reilly would be who I would use if I was going to use an agent. Lovely chap, very down to earth and has a good eye too.
Report mincer11 September 29, 2015 8:12 PM BST
Are ye havin a laugh here or what ?
Bloodstock agents are the most horrible breed of human being known to man. They are descendants of horse traders in times past, in other words they are knackkers.
Take my advice and stay well away from every single one of them.
Report CALLING CARD October 1, 2015 11:45 PM BST
have to agree with Mincer , the most of them are pure pikeys.
the two mentioned I would avoid at all costs,
maybe ml Donohue from BBA or Luke Lillingston would be worth a shot
Cathy Grassick would do a nice job in other departments
Report Tascro October 3, 2015 7:20 AM BST
Anyone have any dealings with luke Lillingston? Reccomend? Thanks
Report potentialmillionaire October 3, 2015 10:47 AM BST
Tascro, this is a minefield!

It would be lovely to steer clear of the lot of them but this is very dangerous if you don't know what you are doing.

To try and help, what are your aims? Do you have any way of navigating a catalogue page? Do you know a horses @rse from its elbow? And of course what type of horse are you looking to buy.

Please feel comfortable coming in from a position of complete ignorance. We all welcome first timers as of course every industry needs them and some of us would like to see them in for the long term, not just be an object to fleece and discard.
Report Tascro October 10, 2015 9:09 AM BST
I have a good knowledge of racing. Me and a few friends thinking of dipping our toes into buying one next year. Nothing too expensive maybe 10k or less. Early type of horse. I think its best to use an agent but just looking around for info at the mo.
Report Formtwist October 10, 2015 3:44 PM BST
Tascro, if you are thinking of buying a yearling to race, then getting one from or through the trainer you have in mind might be an idea. They have more of a stake in it being a winner than an agent on commission, and you will save on that commission with a trainer.
Report The Gotchee October 13, 2015 4:52 PM BST
Anybody remember Bertie Kerr the famous Irish Bloodstock agent of yesteryear? Probably the most honest bloodstock agent of all time not like the "Fly by night" merchants who operate today.
Bertie Kerr bought three yearlings on the same day at Ballsbridge sales for 1000gns,1550gns and 1,350gns. The trio went on to win the Irish Oaks, the Irish 2000 Guineas and the Irish Derby of 1956.
Kerr also purchased and sold on four horses that later won the Aintree Grand National. They included Sheila's Cottage in 1948, Freebooter in 1950, Anglo in 1966, and Red Alligator in 1969. Probably one of his greatest purchases was Tomy Lee, the winner of the 1959 Kentucky Derby. Tomy Lee became only the second non-American bred horse to ever win the Kentucky Derby, and Kerr became the first non-American agent to buy a winner. In 1956, Kerr attended the Newmarket sales, acting on the behalf of Fred Turner, a millionaire oilman and rancher from Texas. Turner had instructed Kerr to buy two horses that he had picked out of the catalogue. He was chiefly interested in a colt that came to be named Tuleg, but he also wanted a second horse in order to provide Tuleg with a travelling companion. This second horse was Tomy Lee. Shortly after Tomy Lee won the 1959 Kentucky Derby, Kerr relayed to Michael O'Hehir the story behind the purchase. O'Hehir then retold the story in the Daily Racing Form. After viewing Turner's first choice for Tuleg's travelling companion, Kerr was less than impressed and cabled him, advising him not to buy this particular foal. Instead, Kerr recommended another colt he had seen at the sale. Turner gave Kerr the go ahead "to bid up to $15,000," and Kerr got Tomy Lee for $6,762. Tuleg was purchased for $25,000 and proved to be a dud, but Kerr's recommendation was a bargain.
Report bucko68 September 17, 2017 12:57 PM BST
Lovely story Gotchee
Report kincsem September 18, 2017 12:06 PM BST
I looked up the two horses mentioned.
Tomy Lee has a considerably better dam side going by the sire names.

Tuleg by Tulyar out if E G K by Rentenmark.  Second dam Ardgo by He Goes.  Third dam Ardcourt by Ardoon.
In my database Rentenmark has 7 offspring.  He Goes has 2 offspring.  Ardoon has 7 offspring.

Tomy Lee by Tudor Minstrel out of Auld Alliance by Brantome (by Blandford).  Second dam Iona by Hyperion.  Third dam Jiffy by Hurry On.
In my database Brantome has 78 offspring (Blandford 154 offspring).  Hyperion has 354 offspring.  Hurry On has 162 offspring.

An easy test imo of quality in a pedigree is the number of offspring produced by the sires and dams in the pedigree.
But look at the lesser sires (and dams).  Ignore the big names like Northern Dancer.
Report vantastic54 October 1, 2017 11:19 AM BST
Bertie Kerr also bought and sold Nasrullah who sired Never say die/Muisodora in England and among many others in the USA Bold ruler who sired Secretariat.
Report by purpose October 12, 2017 2:23 PM BST
Just make sure whoever you get have plenty of vaseline with them.Else you will have to get plenty on sudocrem for the the journey home if you fancy sitting down.
Report The Gotchee October 13, 2017 10:47 PM BST
Nasrullah was a nutcase that's why the Aga Khan sold him to Bertie Kerr for $50,000.
He was second best of his crop at 2 and 3. If he had been a bit more cooperative, he would have been champion both years.
It was considered a very cheap buy considering his race record and his flawless conformation.
Bert thought after he got him to the stud farm he would settle down but he got worst and was nearly impossible to handle.
Bert couldn't sleep at night until he got rid of him. He was priced to Joe McGrath for $76,000 and he bought him without hesitation. Bert would have taken a loss on him if he had to, but McGrath gave the asking price.
He had initially entered stud in 1944 at Barton Stud in Suffolk before moving to McGrath's Brownstown Stud in Ireland.
His progeny were a huge success from the start, a bit highly strung but easy to control and train. Such was the record of his early crops McGrath sold him for $340,000 in December 1949, again a very cheap price,with the understanding that delivery would not take place until the horse had served his 1950 book of mares.
Nasrullah died in 1959, but until Northern Dancer overtook him in the1980's he was the all time leading sire of stakes winners in N.America with 99.
He is the all time leading sire in percentage (23.4%) of stakes winners to foals sired (423)
in the 8 years that Nasrullah stood at Claiborne Farm,Floyd Sager, the stud Veterinarian was never able to give the cantankerous stallion as much as a tetanus shot.
Report workrider October 17, 2017 11:04 AM BST
That was some piece The Gotchee,thanks for putting it up.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now